Big Firmware Update for Leica SL2 (v.4.0) and SL2-S (v.3.0)

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 minutes ago, msendin said:

Any new idea of what "Additional function support for L mount alliance lenses" is?

I have checked Panasonic Web and there is no firmware upgrade for the S lenses and I imagine Leica firmware wont upgrade Panasonic lenses. 

Will it result in even less compatibility with non Leica L mounts? 

I expect it’s intended to improve compatibility with non-Leica L-mount lenses.

Totally speculating here since I don’t own any Panasonic lenses myself, but one of the pain points of some Panasonic lenses is that when you engage the focusing clutch, it automatically forces the camera into MF mode and there’s no way to auto-focus. In contrast, with other lenses such as on Sigma and SL lenses, when the camera is in MF mode, you can still back-button focus. There maybe more quirks similar to above with non-Leica lenses so perhaps the new firmware is trying to address these scenarios. 

While I’m speculating, another possibility is that Leica may have added support for OIS + IBIS on non-SL lenses from Panasonic and Sigma. As far as I know, OIS+IBIS up until now is only supported on Leica SL lenses in combination with SL2/SL2-S bodies. When OIS capable Sigma and Panasonic lenses is mounted to an SL2/SL2-S body, IBIS is automatically disabled and only OIS is enabled.

Edited by beewee

5 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Is there any way to save current camera settings (including function button settings, back button focus setting, etc) to an SD card if one has NOT set any user profiles? 

Jeff

The act of saving profiles to the SD card includes whatever settings you're using at the moment – after re-import the camera will be just like you had it.

Edit: You don't need to have saved any profiles for it to work.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

The act of saving profiles to the SD card includes whatever settings you're using at the moment – after re-import the camera will be just like you had it.

Thanks. Is it best to use a separate card for this, rather than the card for FW installation?  I ask because it seems some have lost settings despite saving profiles during the update.  And because the last time I updated FW to my SL2, I also lost settings for unknown reasons (probably my own stupidity).  

I wish all the Leica cameras acted like the M system updates, which automatically saves settings without having to do anything special.

Jeff

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Thanks. Is it best to use a separate card for this, rather than the card for FW installation?  I ask because it seems some have lost settings despite saving profiles during the update.  And because the last time I updated FW to my SL2, I also lost settings for unknown reasons (probably my own stupidity).  

I wish all the Leica cameras acted like the M system updates, which automatically saves settings without having to do anything special.

Jeff

Before you update, you can save the profiles to another SD as backup just in case – then you can still save them a second time to the SD card you're using for the firmware update when prompted to do so during the firmware update – then after the update, reimport them without having to take out the card.

Also if you want, you can save your current settings to a user profile. That always feels a little safer to me, plus if I ever am messing around with my settings and want to go back to something I know was safe, I can switch to that profile again.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes you are right: 

the settings should be automatically transferred. 

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Jeff

Upgraded to 4.0 with a Panasonic 24-105.

No problems.

No lens upgrade (expected).

Two factory default resets (after upgrading and suddenly after a while)

No apparent changes in the lens behaviour, IBIS not working with OIS.

Maybe there are hidden improvements or we have to wait for a Panasonic lens firmware upgrade??

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Pelu2010:

Hey , 

tested the eye detection today and it’s a big improvement. 
If Leica keeps working on these algorithms, we will get some nice features in future. I bet they also can improve the speed. 
🙂

Is there a big improvement besides the display of the focused eye? I didn't have the opportunity to test it so far.

26 minutes ago, FrankX said:

Is there a big improvement besides the display of the focused eye? I didn't have the opportunity to test it so far.

I did not test it on production level but in low light and with a puppet head and my daughter. And usually this takes so long that I get really in trouble. So no trouble wir my daughter which means, her eyes where sharp and this is an improvement over the algorithms before. It’s more precise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wondered how it deals with multiple faces and eyes. It shows a box around each eye, both surrounded by a 'face box'. One of the eye boxes is yellow, indicating that that is the one being focussed on, and the other is white. With the previous firmware, when there were boxes around two or more faces, you could use the joystick to select which one turns yellow and is in focus.

From a test with a family group photo*, it seems that you cannot use the joystick to select the other eye. The joystick still moves between faces, not eyes. 
I'm quite glad of this, though I suppose there might be times when you prefer the eye Leica has not chosen.

*With just my wife in the house at the moment, I don't have two real faces to test it with.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb LocalHero1953:

I wondered how it deals with multiple faces and eyes. It shows a box around each eye, both surrounded by a 'face box'. One of the eye boxes is yellow, indicating that that is the one being focussed on, and the other is white. With the previous firmware, when there were boxes around two or more faces, you could use the joystick to select which one turns yellow and is in focus.

From a test with a family group photo*, it seems that you cannot use the joystick to select the other eye. The joystick still moves between faces, not eyes. 
I'm quite glad of this, though I suppose there might be times when you prefer the eye Leica has not chosen.

*With just my wife in the house at the moment, I don't have two real faces to test it with.

Just press the joystick to switch the eye!

• Like 1

After updating to Version 4.0 of the firmware, my image counter (file name) was reset to L1000000. Is there a way to restore the image counter to the correct number? Replacing the folder on the SD card with the correct folder does not seem to do the trick. I can't find anything in the SL2 instruction manual that addresses this issue.

Edited by fngl51
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Just watched the Red Dot Forum (Leica Miami) episode on FW updates.  They specifically said that if one doesn’t have user profiles created and then clicks on ‘Save Profiles’ during the update, no settings will be saved; the camera will revert to factory presets.  They said one has to first create a user profile with desired settings.  

Are you sure that they are incorrect?

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

On 5/7/2022 at 2:22 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

The other oddity was that almost all the lens upgrades took quite a while - I didn't count, but tens of seconds. The 18-56 upgrade happened almost instantly - it was so different that I mounted it again in case it didn't 'take' first time round, but it didn't try to update again. 

Noted the same thing with the 16-35- upgrade was very quick, all the others (24-90, 90-280, 35, 50, 75, 90) were longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Just watched the Red Dot Forum (Leica Miami) episode on FW updates.  They specifically said that if one doesn’t have user profiles created and then clicks on ‘Save Profiles’ during the update, no settings will be saved; the camera will revert to factory presets.  They said one has to first create a user profile with desired settings.  

Are you sure that they are incorrect?

Jeff

Whether you save profiles or not, the camera will revert to factory settings. You have to re-import after the update.

That said, I think the "Default Profile" is part of what is saved on export and comes back on import. I say that because I typically re-import my settings but I don't switch to any of previous user profiles – my Default Profile comes back as it was before without me doing anything but reimporting. But maybe that Default Profile doesn't get saved unless at least one user profile has been saved to one of the open profile slots ("User 1", etc.).

Edited by hdmesa
  • Thanks 1

I took the SL2-S out for a hike today and I’m relieved to say that, with the Display/AF set to automatically turn off after 30s and the automatic power off set to never, the camera was able to maintain a solid connection with the FOTOS app on my iPhone while I was shooting and every photo had geolocation info so at a minimum, I have this option going forward.

Now, I’m curious to see how reliably the geolocation feature works if I let the camera fall automatically go on standby with the camera needing to re-establish a connection with the phone each time it wakes up.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by beewee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2