Leica Q3 Bricked During Firmware Update

13 hours ago, newbieLeicaO said:

Honestly not sure why leica doesn't have a small application that can flash the onboard SSD and reload a fresh install of whatever OS you want.

Would at least give a quick resolution to these problems.

Because it would open the door to reverse engineered custom firmwares and the like, like for example Magic Lantern for Canon

I think this is what's known as victim blaming🤣

Very unfortunate situation and the software being 'flakey' is not really an excuse. If the software is flakey and runs the risk of bricking cameras it would be very sensible to remove the ability to upgrade the firmware via that route until it was less flakey.

Still, fits in the lesson learned and stuff happens category!

Hope it's sorted rapidly;-)

• Like 2

No it isn't. It is genuine curiosity, combined with the knowledge that this forum is widely read for information, in this case that using the SD card is more secure than through the app. Like you I don't understand why the app option is even offered, the only thing it adds is an extra complication. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

No it isn't. It is genuine curiosity, combined with the knowledge that this forum is widely read for information, in this case that using the SD card is more secure than through the app. Like you I don't understand why the app option is even offered, the only thing it adds is an extra complication. 

I have felt this way about a lot of products in the ‘digital’ age.

Just because you can add an extra feature doesn’t mean you should.

Cameras, cars, appliances…the manufacturers all do it now, add stuff 95% of buyers will never use…adds complexity and adds price.

Edited by bobtodrick
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...
On 10/10/2023 at 8:43 AM, MikeD70 said:

So, how about an update from the OP, have you talked to Leica service about the problem?  Any idea on a fix from them?  Good luck with it.

Allow me to guess. Leica Service rep said, "Send it in and we'll get it back to you in seven months." 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Oh wow this is scary. I downloaded mine two weeks ago using the FOTOS app too. It was quite long and I had thought maybe it is stuck but I left it be and after a while it just went back to shooting mode. I was lucky I did not try to turn it off or closed my app. Otherwise this would have happened. All the best to OP and Zalias.