Big Firmware Update for Leica SL2 (v.4.0) and SL2-S (v.3.0)

Leon_B.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb michali:

It's not a MAC issue, I use a MAC. You may have downloaded the file twice onto the card. I've inadvertently done this before & the camera doesn't recognise the file.

Reformat the card, download FW again & drag the FW File from the MAC to the SD card......

The thing that drives me nuts after a FW update is having to redo all of my camera settings again, even when I've copied settings onto the card, it makes no difference  😤

Do you reload the Profiles?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, michali said:

I

The thing that drives me nuts after a FW update is having to redo all of my camera settings again, even when I've copied settings onto the card, it makes no difference  😤

Back up settings first, than after update restore profiles...no need to rebuild them

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Doug Trabaris said:

I download the file on my MAC to an SD card. When I insert the SD card into the camera says no file exists. 

Are you going to the following in the SL2 menu:

-Camera Information/

-Camera Firmware version/

-Start update

EDIT: oops, I see you already resolved the issue.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/5/2022 at 9:56 AM, Leon_B. said:

Today Leica has released firmware update v.4.0 for the Leica SL2. Here is the link to the firmware download and an overview of all improvements.

Downloads

» Leica SL2 v.4.0 Download

» Leica SL2-S v.3.0 Download
Improvements

• New: Direct setting of ISO sensitivity via thumbwheel/front dial
  • New: Configurable time before automatic WLAN shutdown ( Wi-Fi Sleep Mode )
  • New: Photo and video tagging via joystick
  • Advanced: Additional function support for L-Mount-Alliance lenses
  • Advanced: Additional functions for direct access via FN button
  • Improved: AF metering method  Person Detection  allows the selection of the primarily focused eye
  • Improved: ISO settings in finer increments (1⁄2EV or 1⁄3EV)
  • Improved: Power saving mode can be completely deactivated (no AF system shutdown when recording via HDMI)
  • Improved: Bugfixes in the firmware

PHOTO

• New: Quick change of AF metering position between most recently used position and image center
  • New: Exposure and depth of field preview
  • Improved: Geotagging (via Leica FOTOS)

VIDEO

• New: (SL2-S only) RAW format output via HDMI for external device recording
  • Improved: Aperture setting in T-stops (1⁄2 and 1⁄3 increments) in Cine Mode
  • Improved: HDMI output compatibility with Leica FOTOS
  • Improved: HDMI output compatibility with USB connection

🥵 We have been complaining about the wandering focus point on the CL since the camera came out - now they fix it: On the SL2!! 😡🤬👺

Thank you very much Leica for not listening and abandoning your customers.

• Like 1

Updated the camera's, strange thing when I put the SL 50mm 1.4 lux on the SL2, some noise and the camera crashed, tried it again and the camera crashed again. Tried it on the Sl2s and update went fine and work on the SL2 after the lens update also.

Don't understand why Leica didn't gave us the 1/3 of a iso stop on photo???

The update required factory reset a couple of times when I changed lenses (option for changing f-stop disappeared) but now everything is working. I can't tell from the pdf manual how to actually see depth of field preview. Is that a partial press on the shutter?

Edited by isleofgough

11 minutes ago, isleofgough said:

The update required factory reset a couple of times when I changed lenses (option for changing f-stop disappeared) but now everything is working. I can't tell from the pdf manual how to actually see depth of field preview. Is that a partial press on the shutter?

You need to assign it to a function button and activate it that way.

13 hours ago, Stephen white said:

Can I simply upgrade to this firmware even if previous updates have not been installed ?

Yes.

And we have now eye AF and can even easily choose between eyes. Nice implementation.

Edited by caissa

1 hour ago, jrp said:

Is the AF any better I any way?  Or is it only that you have more control over which eye the camera picks to focus on?

Precisely the question my good man, Im sure not up to speed for sports or faster action but how close is it? Or a better way is it close to Canon's AF speed on a scale from 1-10 compared to other brands A1, Z9, R3 is the SL2 still in dead last place?

What I shoot this file is without sharpening at all clarity set to -10

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bab
new larger image

A great pic (although you could post process it to reduce the shiny skin, to make it a bit more flattering) but I assume that she is still and both of her eyes are within your depth of field, so I'm not sure what to conclude about the new firmware features.

6 hours ago, jrp said:

Does this firmware enable GPS via bluetooth without the need for WiFi??

This has been supported since the beginning. After you connect to the camera and it shows you the screen of photos on the camera, you can disconnect from the camera. This shuts down the WiFi connection keeps the bluetooth connection going and location updates is sent via bluetooth.

Edited by beewee

4 hours ago, bab said:

Precisely the question my good man, Im sure not up to speed for sports or faster action but how close is it? Or a better way is it close to Canon's AF speed on a scale from 1-10 compared to other brands A1, Z9, R3 is the SL2 still in dead last place?

What I shoot this file is without sharpening at all clarity set to -10

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It looks ever so slightly front focused. I’m guessing you focused on the right eye? It looks like it locked onto the reflection on the eye rather than the pupil/iris of the eye.

4 hours ago, jrp said:

A great pic (although you could post process it to reduce the shiny skin, to make it a bit more flattering) but I assume that she is still and both of her eyes are within your depth of field, so I'm not sure what to conclude about the new firmware features.

Ya not pp so original raw not shinny the focus grabbed eyelashes I want to know how sticky is sl2 af for moving subjects? My image was shot in studio

thanks

Edited by bab
Spelling

21 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

However, my SL2-S DID do its own factory reset sometime shortly after I had done the original body firmware update  - I think it was just after the first lens update (24-90). It

Hmm. Same thing happened on my SL2 after lens update on 24-90