Big Firmware Update for Leica SL2 (v.4.0) and SL2-S (v.3.0)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

just a question, so: 

Customise Control > Wheel Assignment (MF-lens) > M 

and then setting 'shutter speed' on both

BUT

once I use the focus aid, both wheels control the magnification, even if set on shutter speed.

How comes? This thing, was working as intended on the SL1, but then on the SL2S has been messed up ever since. Am I getting this wrong, and if so, what is the intended purpose of this menu?

Does it only work with leica M adapter + coded lenses?

Help pls.

Thanks

G

13 minutes ago, scroy said:

System error has when autofocus is engaged. When I'm in manual focus, no issues.

I had the 35APOSL on the camera when I did the update.  I'm going to try another SL lens.

Video mode works fine, only stills are compromised. 

I updated my SL2-S a few hours ago, reset it as per instructions and reset the time zone and date/time, did lens update, and reset it again as per instructions, fiddled with it for a while, and put it away. All was smooth sailing.

Just took it out again to fiddle with it and on boot up it did a factory reset on itself... Required profiles to be reloaded, as well as to be repaired with Fotos (which it didn't do after the update).... pretty worrying! Hopefully it is an isolated incident and doesn't happen to anyone else.

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Multi-shot now includes self timer!

For the SL2-S?  The SL2 has always allowed self timer for multi shot. The previous firmware update added a longer delay, 12 seconds where as before you only had a 2 second option. 

I had hoped they would add self timer for exposure bracketing. And also allow a delay between exposures in a exposure bracket. 

Paul

57 minutes ago, Paul2660 said:

For the SL2-S?  The SL2 has always allowed self timer for multi shot. The previous firmware update added a longer delay, 12 seconds where as before you only had a 2 second option. 

I had hoped they would add self timer for exposure bracketing. And also allow a delay between exposures in a exposure bracket. 

Paul

D'oh - you're right! It was the self timer and exposure bracketing that is (still) missing. I let my enthusiasm run away with me.

2 hours ago, Aaron Daniel said:

I'm a little disappointed that the sensor only records in aps-c and not full frame in this mode (for anyone else who was also wondering😅)

Very disappointing. Guess they weren't able to pull 6k raw off, so it's 4K off a windowed sensor. But I don't need raw in a hybrid camera anyway. 

Finally Leica has listened on the depth of field preview. It's been the biggest thing I missed on my type 601 SL. Using some big aperture primes it is super annoying to have blurry af images during daytime. Or find out when you get home that somehow you stopped down the aperture accidentally. Well done. During daytime the benefit of having the dof preview far outweights the con.

Next up I really want the option to close sl series shutter curtain during lens change. I know it's possible. It's quite annoying to get dust on sensor and it's lot more prone to that when the curtain can't be closed.

Posted (edited)

Crucial missing step in the update instructions: If you want to connect the camera to Leica Fotos and vice versa, you must delete the camera you added before the update, and start from scratch. Very silly of them not to think of this in their documentation -- but it has never, I'm afraid, been especially well turned-out (and I write as someone who writes technical documentation). Whoever wrote it clearly did not go through the steps to accomplish the task in real time -- they probably were relying on the product spec which indicates how the software is supposed to work, and ignores initial conditions the engineer who wrote the spec didn't think of. Sigh.

Edited by JulianHalliday

3 hours ago, JulianHalliday said:

Crucial missing step in the update instructions: If you want to connect the camera to Leica Fotos and vice versa, you must delete the camera you added before the update, and start from scratch. Very silly of them not to think of this in their documentation -- but it has never, I'm afraid, been especially well turned-out (and I write as someone who writes technical documentation). Whoever wrote it clearly did not go through the steps to accomplish the task in real time -- they probably were relying on the product spec which indicates how the software is supposed to work, and ignores initial conditions the engineer who wrote the spec didn't think of. Sigh.

I did not do this prior to the update, I wonder if my failure to do so is what led to my SL2-S doing a factory reset on its own, as I did connect to Fotos after doing the update, but without deleting it and re-pairing. Once it did the reset, I had to delete and re-pair it anyway, so job done eventually I guess... 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Doug Trabaris said:

I own an iPhone 12  and an Apple laptop, and couldn’t download the update for my SL2-S. Why can’t Leica get their act together for IOS and Apple? Or is it me? (Be nice).

Not sure.... just to be clear, you are using your iPhone and/or Macbook to download the .lfu file from this page, and copy it to the root directory of an SD card, yes? If so, where is the process breaking down? You can't download the .lfu file, or you can't copy it to the SD card?

Edited by matted

44 minutes ago, Doug Trabaris said:

I own an iPhone 12  and an Apple laptop, and couldn’t download the update for my SL2-S. Why can’t Leica get their act together for IOS and Apple? Or is it me? (Be nice).

What went wrong? All you do is download the file and copy it to an SD card.

Nothing about it being a Mac. 

3 minutes ago, matted said:

Not sure.... just to be clear, you are using your iPhone and/or Macbook to download the .lfu file from this page, and copy it to the root directory of an SD card, yes? If so, where is the process breaking down? You can't download the .lfu file, or you can't copy it to the SD card?

I can copy the file to an SD card, but it isn’t recognized by my SL2-S. The camera doesn’t seem to recognize the file even exists. Weird, no?

10 hours ago, lostproperty said:

Hi, I’m hoping this isn’t the case but I’m assuming the new firmware features — DOF preview and being able to recenter the focus point automatically only apply to users mounting native L-mount lenses? I’m a new SL2-S owner who is using for the moment only m-lenses and the new firmware addresses the two minor gripes I have with the system — lack of DOF preview and the ability to recenter automatically the focus point. 

You already have a DoF preview since you're using M lenses.  

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Doug Trabaris said:

I can copy the file to an SD card, but it isn’t recognized by my SL2-S. The camera doesn’t seem to recognize the file even exists. Weird, no?

Yes, that is definitely weird. Random things to double check (apologies if some of these are obvious, but they are just things that come to mind):

-that you for sure have the SL2-S v3.0 firmware file (SL2-S30_.lfu) and not the SL2 v4.0 file that was also linked at the start of this page

-that the file size is reported as 118,124,032 bytes if you click "Get info"

-that your camera isn't somehow already running v3.0 (Although I think if you are, the camera acknowledges the existence of the file and says you are already on that version, or similar)

-that you are going to Menu-->Camera Information--Camera Firmware Version-->Start Update and not expecting the camera to detect the file and prompt you to update (as other brands do).

Just to confirm, you are getting the "No firmware on SD card found" error?

Another thing to try, is I believe I saw David Farkas from Red Dot Forum mention to make sure slot #2 is empty when doing an update. Also I would try another card.

Again, apologies if the above steps are obvious... the Q2 update thread literally had multiple people asking what program to open the update file in so you never know!

Edited by matted