GFX100S vs SL2/X1D

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, Succisa75 said:

You should be hitting 25-26FPS with GM lenses. Need to set AFC to release instead of focus.  This helps a lot in terms of speed. Also set burst mode to H+

H+ with industrial electronic timer on motorized sled (accurate to 10ms).  With release priority I get ~20fps but 7 are OOF, so what's the point.  With focus priority I get 15fps, 12 of which are in focus.  The 30fps is marketing hype.  The only time the camera gets close is stationary target or when AF fails to move with the subject.

The A1 has higher hit rate when subject coming toward the camera than going away.  Tests above are coming toward.  Rack zooming still struggles.  In-focus rate drops to 50% with the 100-400GM.  The D5 seems to do much better with rack zooming.  

2 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I have used a dozen brands of camera for work and none of them, including Sony or Leica, has stopped me from capturing every shot I needed to. Maybe a sports shooter needs more but the current reliance on gear to get the shot over skill speaks more about the photographer than the camera.

Just shoot video and pull frames if that's what you feel you need. Not photography though.

Gordon

A1 is designed mainly for sports and wildlife hence the performance. Yes one can capture most things with any camera, however the enhanced AF, tracking and speed of cameras like the A1, help photographers that live in a high speed get the picture out ASAP world, better opportunities and abilities to capture the image that keeps them employed.  

1 hour ago, Speeding said:

H+ with industrial electronic timer on motorized sled (accurate to 10ms).  With release priority I get ~20fps but 7 are OOF, so what's the point.  With focus priority I get 15fps, 12 of which are in focus.  The 30fps is marketing hype.  The only time the camera gets close is stationary target or when AF fails to move with the subject.

The A1 has higher hit rate when subject coming toward the camera than going away.  Tests above are coming toward.  Rack zooming still struggles.  In-focus rate drops to 50% with the 100-400GM.  The D5 seems to do much better with rack zooming.  

I have yet to achieve the 30fps but have achieved mid 20s. A good reference for settings is to watch tutorials by Mark Galer on YouTube. While he is a Sony ambassador he does break down the settings to achieve higher hit rates with fast FPS. 

additionally you need to use CF Express type A cards to get these speeds

Edited by Succisa75

1 hour ago, Succisa75 said:

I have yet to achieve the 30fps but have achieved mid 20s. A good reference for settings is to watch tutorials by Mark Galer on YouTube. While he is a Sony ambassador he does break down the settings to achieve higher hit rates with fast FPS. 

additionally you need to use CF Express type A cards to get these speeds

Thom Hogan has written an informative A1 review. Excerpt:

"That 30 fps only happens if you’ve set JPEG, HEIF, or Compressed Raw. It also only works above 1/250 second shutter speeds and only certain lenses can keep up with autofocus. "

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

Thom Hogan has written an informative A1 review. Excerpt:

"That 30 fps only happens if you’ve set JPEG, HEIF, or Compressed Raw. It also only works above 1/250 second shutter speeds and only certain lenses can keep up with autofocus. "

In the field, the A1 topped out at the same place the A9II does.  If it requires a dozen asterisks to create an environment where it might reach 30fps, what’s the practical utility?  Perhaps someone can post 30 frame sequence of moving target taken in 1 sec.  XT4, A9, G9, EM1 all top out around 12-16fps depending on lenses.  That’s by no means bad, but these marketing claims of 18, 20, 30 FPS are a bit much.  About as helpful as CIPA stabilization rating 🙂

On 6/25/2021 at 5:39 PM, Alistairm said:

I own all three systems. 

Much could (and has) been said about them. I’d summarise it thus, noting that all make fantastic images. 

The X1D has the best menu system, arguably the best ergonomics (apart from smelly rubber and sub-par weather sealing) and second best outright image quality but is very slow and lacks stabilisation. It is also the system I worry about most long-term, (eg in terms of whether there will ever be a new body). 

The SL has a very good menu system, the best range of lenses and handles beautifully. In terms of a blend of haptics, feel in hand and technology, it is my favourite system. I also like the way the Leica lenses render, and the integration with M glass.  

The GFX100S has comfortably the best image quality, is much cheaper than the other systems, has a clunky menu system and doesn’t feel as nice in hand as the Blad or the Leica. 

I also own all three of these systems and I liked shooting with the SL2 more because of the gorgeous files... It was an outdoor maternity photoshoot and I ended up shooting way more with the SL2 and 24-90 and Pana 50mm f1.4 than my 100s with 80mm f1.7 and x1d with 90mm f3.2 

Despite the SL2 being pitted against MF, I really shot a hellova lot more with the SL2. Files barely needed any processing.. I'll have to leave the SL2 behind and force myself to shoot with the others I guess.. It could be the AWB/Daylight rendering on different systems.. need to check when I have a more relaxed shooting session..

Edited by aksclix
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Speeding said:

In the field, the A1 topped out at the same place the A9II does.  If it requires a dozen asterisks to create an environment where it might reach 30fps, what’s the practical utility?  Perhaps someone can post 30 frame sequence of moving target taken in 1 sec.  XT4, A9, G9, EM1 all top out around 12-16fps depending on lenses.  That’s by no means bad, but these marketing claims of 18, 20, 30 FPS are a bit much.  About as helpful as CIPA stabilization rating 🙂

Honestly I have no skin in the game on this but if you set up the camera properly with the CF Express A cards you can get mid 20’s relatively easily. Set AFC to Release instead of focus, don’t shoot with jpeg and Raw but one or the other, use a GM lens vs third party lenses and you can achieve mid 20s. I have shot birds, wildlife sports and for the five to 6 seconds without buffering kicking in you can get that boost you need. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Just shoot video and pull frames if that's what you feel you need. Not photography though.

Gordon

Digital photography with liveview is basically pulling frames out of a video. There's barely any distinction with the latest cameras.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 4:39 PM, SrMi said:

Jim Kasson has documented the issue in details. You do not see it until you test for it properly. What Jim's result mean to me is that I do refocus or recheck focus before shooting, even if nothing has changed from last shot.

Here is a thread on DPR: GFX FBW lens focus instability

I've never had this affect my GFX images in real world use. When I need the same focus point between multiple pictures, I use autofocus to lock focus then immediately switch to manual focus for the series (multi-shot panos with focus on infinity for example). It also could be that I don't see the issue because I take my series rather quickly, say under 15 seconds, and the "drift" doesn't have time to manifest. I also shoot these type of multi-image series at ~f/5.6, which could mask minor focus drift. Whatever the case, I doubt anyone would notice this issue unless their use case involves the kind of tests Jim Kasson, Lloyd Chambers, and others do.

20 hours ago, Succisa75 said:

Honestly I have no skin in the game on this but if you set up the camera properly with the CF Express A cards you can get mid 20’s relatively easily. Set AFC to Release instead of focus, don’t shoot with jpeg and Raw but one or the other, use a GM lens vs third party lenses and you can achieve mid 20s. I have shot birds, wildlife sports and for the five to 6 seconds without buffering kicking in you can get that boost you need. 

Can you point me to one of these burst sequences where it accommodates focus 25 times in 1 second?  How did you time?  Stationary subject, sure, many cameras can do this.  But try moving subject.

Edited by Speeding

4 minutes ago, Speeding said:

Can you point me to one of these burst sequences where it accommodates focus 25 times in 1 second?  How did you time?  Stationary subject, sure, many cameras can do this.  But try moving subject.

Stop watch on phone and internal. As mentioned before check out Mark Galer’s video on the A1. He explains how to achieve these numbers. I used his recommendations and had similar findings. He goes deeper into AF settings etc. 

Due to the card speeds on the CF Express type A cards you have a five to 6 sec window before buffering kicks in.  It’s not bad like the SL2 but your fps will slow a bit. 
From my usage I only use H+ for the must have action shots. Otherwise I set H to 20fps and stay there as that’s more than enough for most things. 

10 hours ago, Succisa75 said:

Stop watch on phone and internal. As mentioned before check out Mark Galer’s video on the A1. He explains how to achieve these numbers. I used his recommendations and had similar findings. He goes deeper into AF settings etc. 

Due to the card speeds on the CF Express type A cards you have a five to 6 sec window before buffering kicks in.  It’s not bad like the SL2 but your fps will slow a bit. 
From my usage I only use H+ for the must have action shots. Otherwise I set H to 20fps and stay there as that’s more than enough for most things. 

Mark doesn't bring anything to light that isn't already known.  I checked his video again.  I found no point using SD cards in the A1 - operationally it was much faster with CFA.  The only CFA cards I have are Sony CEAG160T, I doubt that's a bottleneck.  I was shooting in 2-3 sec bursts so buffer isn't an issue.

You say "stop watch on phone" was used to time.  How did you move it around in front of a lens like the 600GM?  Can you share your burst images with EXIF intact?

Edited by Speeding

9 hours ago, Speeding said:

Mark doesn't bring anything to light that isn't already known.  I checked his video again.  I found no point using SD cards in the A1 - operationally it was much faster with CFA.  The only CFA cards I have are Sony CEAG160T, I doubt that's a bottleneck.  I was shooting in 2-3 sec bursts so buffer isn't an issue.

You say "stop watch on phone" was used to time.  How did you move it around in front of a lens like the 600GM?  Can you share your burst images with EXIF intact?

We timed it with two people. One using the camera one with a timer. I don’t have the images anymore as my test was done when before official launch. I don’t own the camera, but had access to it early. 

Clearly you don’t believe mid 20s can be achieved but there are numerous photographers and reviewers that have gotten speeds that replicate my findings. 

Perhaps try going to the A1 Facebook group and ask others who can share more info with you. 

All the best!

I'm not sure why this is even a debate. I've tried the 30 fps with my 35gm.  In my short testing, shooting my kid running around, I got late 25-30 fps shooting RAW, consistently. 

These are both 30 fps videos shot with 50MP bursts.

On 7/1/2021 at 1:59 PM, Speeding said:

See above. These are essentially 9K 30P videos. 

Edited by Mr.Q

3 hours ago, Succisa75 said:

We timed it with two people. One using the camera one with a timer. I don’t have the images anymore as my test was done when before official launch. I don’t own the camera, but had access to it early. 

Clearly you don’t believe mid 20s can be achieved but there are numerous photographers and reviewers that have gotten speeds that replicate my findings. 

Perhaps try going to the A1 Facebook group and ask others who can share more info with you. 

All the best!

It’s not that I don’t believe it can be done, I just haven’t seen anyone actually do it.  No one seems to have any files they can share that demonstrates this.  I made several attempts to get over 14-16fps with the 100-400GM and 600/4.  Simply doesn’t happen with moving subject.  Only stationary target where the lens doesn’t have to move focus. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

I'm not sure why this is even a debate. I've tried the 30 fps with my 35gm.  In my short testing, shooting my kid running around, I got late 25-30 fps shooting RAW, consistently. 

These are both 30 fps videos shot with 50MP bursts.

Funny there are no actual files shared that show 30fps.  I wonder why that is?  Anyone can shoot video 30fps and claim they are burst RAW lol.  Notice how the subject in the first video isn’t moving?  Stands in the same spot.  Have him run toward or away from the camera and share the RAW’s.  You’ll see the FPS drop to 15.  That’s still very good, but it’s not 30.

Edited by Speeding

2 hours ago, Speeding said:

Funny there are no actual files shared that show 30fps.  I wonder why that is?  Anyone can shoot video 30fps and claim they are burst RAW lol.  Notice how the subject in the first video isn’t moving?  Stands in the same spot.  Have him run toward or away from the camera and share the RAW’s.  You’ll see the FPS drop to 15.  That’s still very good, but it’s not 30.

Sorry but I think you set up your camera wrong.   I don't have the issues you posted nor have I heard of anyone that mentioning them.  Too bad you had to return it before you could correctly set up the camera.

• Like 1

Given that your framerate dropped with the subject moving, you probably set up the AF-C to AF priority which reduces the framerate substantially. You need to set it up to Release Priority if you want the full 30 fps, or Balance Emphasis which gives you anywhere from mid-20 (moving subjecty) to 30 fps (if subject moves slow or stationary)  There may have been other settings that you may have missed but it is user error, 100%.

7 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

Sorry but I think you set up your camera wrong.   I don't have the issues you posted nor have I heard of anyone that mentioning them.  Too bad you had to return it before you could correctly set up the camera.

I'm rather familiar with Sony AF having owned both A9 and A9II prior to A1.  Since you don't have any issues, and this seems to be routine feat for you, perhaps you could share 30fps sequence with EXIF intact?  I look forward to it.

7 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

Given that your framerate dropped with the subject moving, you probably set up the AF-C to AF priority which reduces the framerate substantially. You need to set it up to Release Priority if you want the full 30 fps, or Balance Emphasis which gives you anywhere from mid-20 (moving subjecty) to 30 fps (if subject moves slow or stationary)  There may have been other settings that you may have missed but it is user error, 100%.

As I mentioned in post 961 I used release priority too, which increased the number of frames but also out of focus frames such that in focus frames on moving subject was only 12-13 in focus.  That's a far cry from 30fps.

Thanks for your suggestions and I look forward to your 30fps examples.  I am happy to provide a cloud link for you to upload ARW's.