GFX100S vs SL2/X1D

setuporg

No.

We may see it do well for fine art and landscape uses, and in the studio. But it’s not going to convince the majority of Leica users to move. It won’t handle like a Leica - it won’t give the same joy. To those who love Leica I mean.

It’s just a camera with more pixels. Most of us don’t need those pixels, but we do need the shooting experience Leica gives us.

I don’t see it dominating the wider full frame segment because compared to the best in that field it’ll be slow, cumbersome, heavy, etc.

If they released a 50R for under £3k or did a combo deal with a good lens for £3.5k that would be interesting.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Probably not, quite frankly Fuji lacks the glamour of Leica.  If that sensor/tech came in a X1D body though, I would sell both my X1Dii and SL2 pronto. 

It's telling that a 100MP medium format camera offers better tracking AF in both stills and video though.... Panaleica really needs to step up it's game in that department

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I print big (to 60" wide) and I'm closely looking at the GFX100S for that reason, given I suspect a native 100mp sensor could be more useful for me than the 47mp SL2 even in its "high resolution mode".  From a resolution perspective, i think the 100mp sensor is now getting credibly into similar resolution territory to my 5x4 film camera too.

To my eyes, there is more detail when I compare the SL2's 187mp "high resolution mode" vs 47mp "normal mode", but i think that's more to do with cleaning up the problems inherent in the Bayer processing (ie, gets rid of false colors and moire, and reduces noise etc) more than anything, in some ways a little like the benefit of the Monochroms over their color sensor cousins .....and whilst the SL2's "high resolution mode" works very well, it's still a 47mp sensor underlying it.

If I printed smaller, ie, to 40" wide, I'd simply stick to the SL2, no doubt about it, given its incredible SL APO primes and superb handling, and sufficient resolution for that print size.

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 4

The introduction of two beasts at the same time, both in the upper segment, speaks volumes about where things are headed and to what direction technology is taking us. The Sony a1 and the Fujifilm GFX100s are coming to lay claims to the top of FF and MF categories with features that were unheard of in the recent past. As photography moves to smartphones for the greater population, camera companies are moving upwards to new highs (in feature set and prices) to differentiate themselves; understandable and expected. It is a great time to be considering options in this segment with a multitude of offerings from different companies with different philosophies. Personally, I am using a Q2 and it is perfectly suited to my needs at this time, but I am intrigued by the SL2 with a 35 prime, or the X1D ii 50 with the 4/45P and now the GFX 100s with the 45 f/2.8 (for starters). Unless one is 100% percent sold / invested on Leica, I am pretty sure that they are considering their options just about now:)

• Like 6

Well, I've ordered one....

The SL2 remains more versatile, manly based around lens options but I think this camera will be a bit of a disruptive force. For both medium format and high resolution 135 format. For many it'll be enough to replace both. The sensor is demonstrably better than any current 135 format one, especially as exposures get longer. Fuji colour science is excellent. The AF options are well sorted. There's a decent, if not comprehensive, lens range at very reasonable prices. The EVF is decent if not stellar but having IBIS and it's size might make it the ultimate travel camera. Lenses are still big though.

I've been using a combination of L mount and the X1D for my work for a few years. This could replace both.

The S system is in big big trouble now. As is the X1D. I'll be very interested to see if Hasselblad can respond.

Gordon

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

They are clearly aiming at the amateur market, with 17 (!) modes, including "nostalgic neg"

Same thing has been said about AF or TTL flash. Plus even *pro* cameras sell to amateurs in much higher quantities than they do to working photographers. That's where the money is. What it really means id Fuji is after both markets, Amateur and professional.

Gordon

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

The SL2 remains more versatile, manly based around lens options but I think this camera will be a bit of a disruptive force. For both medium format and high resolution 135 format. For many it'll be enough to replace both. The sensor is demonstrably better than any current 135 format one, especially as exposures get longer. Fuji colour science is excellent. The AF options are well sorted. There's a decent, if not comprehensive, lens range at very reasonable prices. The EVF is decent if not stellar but having IBIS and it's size might make it the ultimate travel camera. Lenses are still big though.

I've been using a combination of L mount and the X1D for my work for a few years. This could replace both.

The S system is in big big trouble now. As is the X1D. I'll be very interested to see if Hasselblad can respond.

Gordon

I doubt whether the S system is in big trouble Leica never had high sales expectations, the initial calculation was 1000 units/year.They clearly regard it as niche. DSLR is not mainstream any more. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I doubt whether the S system is in big trouble Leica never had high sales expectations, the initial calculation was 1000 units/year.They clearly regard it as niche. DSLR is not mainstream any more. 

I agree. S system is more about lenses and OVF than about resolution or cost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Same here.

I may sell my SL2, simply because I can’t see myself using it when I have the GFX100S.

When I used film exclusively, I started with a Leica M7 .....but I stopped using the 35mm camera the moment I moved into medium format film (with an Mamiya 7) because of the latter’s much higher resolution and smoother tonality.

From the files off the GFX100 that I’ve played with and printed on an Epson 11880, I’ve come to the same conclusion again about 100mp medium format vs c 50mp full frame.

And for travel/hiking etc, a GFX100S is the same weight as an SL2, but some Fuji lenses like its 63mm standard lens are lighter than the SL Summicrons.

Aside from the higher resolution etc, the auto focus bracketing will also be very useful for landscapes, another reason for me putting in my order today.

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

And for travel/hiking etc, a GFX100S is the same weight as an SL2, b

Indeed. That was the main reason for me to disregard the SL system -too bulky and heavy for hiking and travel...

• Like 1

its a great looking camera, and it can eye auto focus and track unlike the the Leica SL2 

however the battery being small could be an issue like it is with SL2 

For the same money as the SL2 its so much better its a no brainer which means my SL2 lemon will be worth even less again 2nd hand

Edited by hillavoider
  • Like 1

I dont think the fuji gfx will "dominate" FF and /or MF market.

FF market it wont dominate because it is not as fast and lfexible like FF cameras.

In regards of medium format . I am sure it is a fine camera but Fuji is not for everyone.

Mysef-for example was close to sell S system and switch tu gx50 1,5 years ago. faster AF, several AF point...

But checking out the system I did not connect to the UI. For me both the S and the Hassy feels nicer in my hands, and I prefer the more simple user interface.

Most People who buy a midclass car wont decide just based on price.  Some prefer AUdi, others BMW, others Mercedes or some even may prefer Tesla ;)

For my taste Fuji wins if you look on the technical spec sheet.It is missing a bit the solid haptic feel and nice materials compared to others, and for my feeling and taste the Leica and Hassy files I slightly prefer the color out of camera. 

Edited by tom0511
  • Like 4