about the Summilux 35 mm pre-asph.

kengai

I have had this lens for 40 years, just had a CLA on it. It is best from f2.8 to 8, here is a photo at f1.4. OK it was taken on a CL.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Over time, I have/had  "love/hate" this lens which I have in so many times,

each time hoping to have "better IQ" but I had to admit that this "lovely lens" must be learned to use with the "flaws" heritage of the old design.

One meter was one of them but in real use I don't use that much my other lenses ( Summicron or 35 Summilux asph. which "replaced" it ) under 1m.

What bothered me is "in hood filter" the Serie VII size which is not so common.

When I discovered that E49 size filters can be used, I was happy "again".

I have also had a love/hate relationship with this lens (as with some other lenses). Especially I've been wobbly between this and the v.4 Summicron, which I have also owned twice. The eternal dilemma is that I love the extra stop of the Summilux (and I think it looks better too, with the larger front element), but I miss the Summicron's 0.7m near limit.

The final solution was to combine the pre-ASPH Summilux with the modern FLE, which has both 0.7m near limit and a great wide open performance when I want it. 

BTW, my pre-ASPH Summilux is away for service at the moment due to an accident, but I'll expect it back in a couple of weeks. I can't wait till it comes back!

Only reason i keep my German-made Summilux 35/1.4 v2 is its "glow" (halos around highlights) at f/1.4. Otherwise it is beaten by the SC version of the Nokton 35/1.4 v2 in all respects but distortion and resale value IMHO. Just my opinion of course :cool:.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

Diminutive size, almost a pancake (without hood).  The best glow along with the 50 Summilux ver. 1 from 1959.  Leica replaced the 50 in 1961, perhaps the most short lived lens in M history, the 35 survived 30+ years.  It would be on a short list for its dual personality if my wife said I could only have one lens.  

vor 3 Stunden schrieb lct:

Only reason i keep my German-made Summilux 35/1.4 v2 is its "glow" (halos around highlights) at f/1.4.

Yes, this is such a typical example, made with my 30 years old Summilux 35 (Made in Germany) and a M10-D

vor 13 Stunden schrieb kengai:

Leaving aside aspherical lenses, which version of the Summilux 35mm works best on M10?

The first version has the same optics as the later one. But there may be a technical difference. The Canadian version had some protruding parts at the rear side which may collide with the interior of most digital M bodies.  The M 10 has an elevated bayonet surface which leaves more room. My Canadian version works with the M10 but not with the M9. Though even with an M 10 it is better to test before one buys a copy. The latest version which were built in Wetzlar are said not to cause this problem. Leica Customer Care can change the parts which cause the problems as well. 

2 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Yes, this is such a typical example, made with my 30 years old Summilux 35 (Made in Germany) and a M10-D

This glow reminds me a lot of the way highlights behave on my Voigtlander MC Classic 35 1.4 v2. And I don’t like it. 

My favorite 35, which also turns out to be my favorite lens of all time, all systems included, is the summilux ASPH Pre fle. perfect balance of all the summilux. 
it’s only flaw is supposed to be focus shit, which my copy doesn’t exhibit, not that I would care since now I mainly use it either on the m7 or the sl. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Over time, I have/had  "love/hate" this lens which I have in so many times,

each time hoping to have "better IQ" but I had to admit that this "lovely lens" must be learned to use with the "flaws" heritage of the old design.

One meter was one of them but in real use I don't use that much my other lenses ( Summicron or 35 Summilux asph. which "replaced" it ) under 1m.

What bothered me is "in hood filter" the Serie VII size which is not so common.

When I discovered that E49 size filters can be used, I was happy "again".

didn't know about the filters! do you mean any e49 filter can be mounted?! that's game changing information!

52 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

didn't know about the filters! do you mean any e49 filter can be mounted?! that's game changing information!

Any i don't know but E49 Leica filters can be dropped upside down between the two halves of the 12504 hood.

Not sure what's the problem with hoods on the Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph. There is no filter thread on those lenses due to their compact size and possible vignetting issues but the 12504 hood allows for the use of most Series VII and E49 Leica and probably non Leica filters w/o any problem for those needing or liking filters. BTW there are nice and affordable China-made copies of the 12504 hood on e**y. One can even use one half of them with the other half of the original 12504 if needed.

Yeah it’s ok but it’s much better if we could use it without the hood and still use filters (like the v1 steel rim), especially given it’s such a small lens the hood makes it a bit more bulky. Again not a big deal, but if I had the choice I’d definitely choose being able to add a filter without the need to use the hood :)