Jump to content

The 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH image thread


evikne

Recommended Posts

Guest Nowhereman

After I posted the images in post #16 above I had a look at all the photos I have in my Lightroom catalogue made with the Summilux 50 pre-ASPH and saw that I haven't used this lens since I got the M10. When I was shooting with film and, then, with the M9, I often wanted to shoot at f/1.4 because of the lowlight limitations of the cameras; but with the M10, whenever I wanted shoot with a 50mm lens, I always picked up the DR Summicron, since f/2 was adequate. But looking at the rendition of the Summilux 50 pre-ASPH, I think I'll be shooting more with this lens — once we're over all the wretched covid confinement...

M9 | Summilux 50 pre-ASPH | ISO 640 | f/1.4 | 1/1500 sec | Bangkok


________________________
Frog Leaping photobook
Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

After I posted the images in post #16 above I had a look at all the photos I have in my Lightroom catalogue made with the Summilux 50 pre-ASPH and saw that I haven't used this lens since I got the M10. When I was shooting with film and, then, with the M9, I often wanted to shoot at f/1.4 because of the lowlight limitations of the cameras; but with the M10, whenever I wanted shoot with a 50mm lens, I always picked up the DR Summicron, since f/2 was adequate. But looking at the rendition of the Summilux 50 pre-ASPH, I think I'll be shooting more with this lens — once we're over all the wretched covid confinement...

M9 | Summilux 50 pre-ASPH | ISO 640 | f/1.4 | 1/1500 sec | Bangkok


________________________
Frog Leaping photobook

The 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH is definitely a lens that deserves to be used. And if you don't need f/1.4, you can always stop down a little. The rendering is beautiful anyway.

Nice shot, even though I feel sorry for the birds! 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Lelmer said:

How would you compare it with the latest ASPH version?

The images from the ASPH version are much more "tight", controlled, and with more acutance and resolution. But even though most things are "better", that's not always what's desired (at least not for all of us). For portraits, for example, I much prefer the gentler rendering of the pre-ASPH. I usually also find its unpredictable bokeh much more exciting than the polished one from the ASPH version.

"The beauty in imperfection" is a term that certainly applies to many older lenses.

Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, evikne said:

The images from the ASPH version are much more "tight", controlled, and with more acutance and resolution. But even though most things are "better", that's not always what's desired (at least not for all of us). For portraits, for example, I much prefer the gentler rendering of the pre-ASPH. I usually also find its unpredictable bokeh much more exciting than the polished one from the ASPH version.

"The beauty in imperfection" is a term that certainly applies to many older lenses.

It's true that the portraits of your kids are always pretty nice (not only on this thread).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wish some more people would participate here. It would be great to see what others use this lens for. In the meantime, here are three more wide open shots from me:

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JMF said:

 

 

 

50 Summilux pre asph e46 Black Paint on M10

 

JMF, all of your contributions today are just wonderful photographs which go beyond the measure in representing this lovely and often under rated lens. I predict more people will be working their way back into the 50 1.4 Pre-Asph camp after viewing this thread. Thank you again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @evikne for starting this thread and thank you to everyone for contributing.  I have my eye on this lens so this thread is of great help.  I can't quite put my finger on what it is this lens has.  I mean I'm a 'character' guy and use Leica RFs for their faults, not for corner to corner blah blah (otherwise may just as well get a Canikon or whatever).  But yet, the E43's rendering is not like the Sonnar, obviously so, and suprisingly to me, it's not like the Summicron iv 35mm either.  I'm sort of stuck between the E43 and the original Summarit 50mm in deciding which way to go.  More thinking and deciding to do......

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, insideline said:

JMF, all of your contributions today are just wonderful photographs which go beyond the measure in representing this lovely and often under rated lens. I predict more people will be working their way back into the 50 1.4 Pre-Asph camp after viewing this thread. Thank you again.

Thank you so much, this lens is unique 🙂

50 Summilux pre asph  e46 on M9:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cheers

JM

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

on M9M

Edited by JMF
Link to post
Share on other sites

End of the Orthodox Easter Monday (Bright Monday) liturgy.  Azdamichy, Pripet Marshes of Southern Belarus 2018.

M2, 50/1.4 pre-ASPH (E46), HP5 @ 250.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...