Leica Q2 Monochrom - Image Thread

RobM

Next series of photos were taken on first outing with Q2 M.

As we emerge from this challenging period it was particularly uplifting to see couples dancing on roof of Modern Art Museum ( music coming from boombox )

Photos taken fully stretched out on the ground a short distance away ( articulating screen in Q3 sure would come in handy...)

Edited by NicholasT
Problems with photo upload

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

• Like 16

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 4

• Like 13

Q2M shot at F11

• Like 13

36 minutes ago, NicholasT said:

Q2M shot at F11

...come on, back story needed! Looks like you successfully escaped the asylum or imprisonment but are you truly safe now? 👀

49 minutes ago, piran said:

...come on, back story needed! Looks like you successfully escaped the asylum or imprisonment but are you truly safe now? 👀

Still laughing! Your back story is a lot more interesting than the one I can offer.

No asylum stay was involved, but yes there's been an extensive period of imprisonment (as I'm guessing for you as well) Clearly the long term effects of confinement are showing up in my photos :)

Turning to the far less exciting backstory, I was doing some street shooting with limited success (lighting in particular was not conducive). Decided to look for architecture shots and unusual perspectives/angles.

This image was taken looking straight up to the sky. The in camera perspective was exactly as displayed i.e. the ornate elevator tower was on my left with bank of windows in front and behind viewing position. 

I truly appreciate the weather sealing and overall aesthetics of the Q2, but on shots like this and prior ones of the dancers, an articulated screen would really make a big difference. I was trying to get a perfectly "symmetrical" shot of the tower on the left but it wasn't easy while viewing the scene at such and extreme angle. 

Hopefully Leica's talented product managers and engineers will find a way to incorporate one in next Q without negatively impacting the design, weather sealing etc. Fuji has pulled it off in the X100V, so we know it can be done.

Thanks for the very amusing observation!

Edited by NicholasT
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NicholasT said:

Still laughing! Your back story is a lot more interesting than the one I can offer.

No asylum stay was involved, but yes there's been an extensive period of imprisonment (as I'm guessing for you as well) Clearly the long term effects of confinement are showing up in my photos :)

Turning to the far less exciting backstory, I was doing some street shooting with limited success (lighting in particular was not conducive). Decided to look for architecture shots and unusual perspectives/angles.

This image was taken looking straight up to the sky. The in camera perspective was exactly as displayed i.e. the ornate elevator tower was on my left with bank of windows in front and behind viewing position. 

I truly appreciate the weather sealing and overall aesthetics of the Q2, but on shots like this and prior ones of the dancers, an articulated screen would really make a big difference. I was trying to get a perfectly "symmetrical" shot of the tower on the left but it wasn't easy while viewing the scene at such and extreme angle. 

Hopefully Leica's talented product managers and engineers will find a way to incorporate one in next Q without negatively impacting the design, weather sealing etc. Fuji has pulled it off in the X100V, so we know it can be done.

Thanks for the very amusing observation!

No problem (still glad you made it out though). I've a week left before parole I get let out (after both jabs and a three week incubation delay).

Not many look upwards, you did well to see the shot.

I've never had an articulated screened camera but I think the durability, weatherproofing and reliability must surely be impacted - just out of reasonable physics. I'll give myself some contortionist pain to ensure saving any damage to my Leica... I can grow a muscle but my kit cannot.

You say it wasn't easy to get your shot but you did well - honestly. As for the slight barrel distortion (upper horizontal) and the slightly narrowing perspective from right to left can be easily resolved in post.

Capture One for example already has some built-in correction (which can be ignored at will) for that edge (barrel) distortion and the perspective re-alignment process even has its own highly workable tools. Both would merely lose some of the outside pixel areas. Probably the little down to nearly the window lintels of both sets of windows. Not so much as to risk losing the underneath ledges of the window sills.

In C1 post I could get the whole thing EXACTLY square, plumb and rectilinear ...with just a little more work. So, maybe I don't need that articulated screen assembly ...just a bit more creaky articulation on my ancient pensioner spine. 😎 

Edited by piran
PostEdit: in the Main Menu >> Capture Assistants >> Grid might've helped you more accurately stand between those towers on the left

5 hours ago, piran said:

No problem (still glad you made it out though). I've a week left before parole I get let out (after both jabs and a three week incubation delay).

Not many look upwards, you did well to see the shot.

I've never had an articulated screened camera but I think the durability, weatherproofing and reliability must surely be impacted - just out of reasonable physics. I'll give myself some contortionist pain to ensure saving any damage to my Leica... I can grow a muscle but my kit cannot.

You say it wasn't easy to get your shot but you did well - honestly. As for the slight barrel distortion (upper horizontal) and the slightly narrowing perspective from right to left can be easily resolved in post.

Capture One for example already has some built-in correction (which can be ignored at will) for that edge (barrel) distortion and the perspective re-alignment process even has its own highly workable tools. Both would merely lose some of the outside pixel areas. Probably the little down to nearly the window lintels of both sets of windows. Not so much as to risk losing the underneath ledges of the window sills.

In C1 post I could get the whole thing EXACTLY square, plumb and rectilinear ...with just a little more work. So, maybe I don't need that articulated screen assembly ...just a bit more creaky articulation on my ancient pensioner spine. 😎 

You make some excellent points regarding the likely downside of an articulated screen on Q2. The Q2 does exude a solidity that would be hard to replicate. Also while the new Fuji X100V does have weather protection, its not up to Q2's more elevated IP52 standard. After all this time indoors I may very well need to grow those extra muscles you talk about.

I don't have Capture One ( using LR and PS ). I tried to do my best within Lightroom but I ran out of useful image and didn't want to cripple the composition for the sake of perfect symmetry. LR was cutting off more of the windows than Capture one appears to do.

Thankfully the next photo didn't require any contortions or perspective corrections in post. The scene itself provided everything "as is". Next capture is a good example of a photo I probably would never have visualized and found sufficiently compelling to even click the shutter had I been using a regular (color) Q2

3 hours ago, NicholasT said:

You make some excellent points regarding the likely downside of an articulated screen on Q2. The Q2 does exude a solidity that would be hard to replicate. Also while the new Fuji X100V does have weather protection, its not up to Q2's more elevated IP52 standard. After all this time indoors I may very well need to grow those extra muscles you talk about.

I don't have Capture One ( using LR and PS ). I tried to do my best within Lightroom but I ran out of useful image and didn't want to cripple the composition for the sake of perfect symmetry. LR was cutting off more of the windows than Capture one appears to do.

Thankfully the next photo didn't require any contortions or perspective corrections in post. The scene itself provided everything "as is". Next capture is a good example of a photo I probably would never have visualized and found sufficiently compelling to even click the shutter had I been using a regular (color) Q2

I use Capture One 21 (non subscription) on a W10Pro workstation. PHASEONE also do a free trial I believe and, of course, for Macs too. C1 needs a reasonably high spec machine to run well, it has a LOT of bells & whistles as it were - so many tools:-) I don't use LR and the last time I used PS it was in v4 I think... so, a LONG time ago. I also have SilkyPIX (RAW renderer) but they decided not to inherently support Q2M nor DNG nor HEIC so I may not not renew so often. It's simpler to use though maybe that's just long experience speaking. C1 has a bit of a steep learning curve. From a Window's perspective I think it colourises skin tones 'very slightly warm' out of the box (calibration) but for mono it is the bees' knees. I have a bee coming up shortly.

Agreed, the immediate visualisation in mono of the Q2M through the eye view or the back view is basically what prompted me to get the Q2M in addition to my colour Q (Typ116). It allows a different view on reality. My minder is often amazed when I conjure an unusually good Q2M picture almost out of nothing - in her eyes. 

I do like your precinct shot too and it looks a really good arena for street photography. There's a reflection of your previous 'elevator (guards) tower' detail high up in the windows. From the angle of the shadows it was taken at a similar time of a sunny day. But, in the background, I see a facilities security guard in dark clothing eyeing you up, maybe you need to put some more distance from them... 👀

pollen dusted bumblebee in a Cornish hedge (granite, earth, wild foliage and grasses) - Q2M - ISO400 - 1-1600 sec - f8

In macro mode (I think) and shooting by estimation at full arms' stretch downwards aiming blind... turned out well enough!
Was loading up the car's rear boot when I heard a faint buzzing behind me lower down in the hedge.
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, piran said:

pollen dusted bumblebee in a Cornish hedge (granite, earth, wild foliage and grasses) - Q2M - ISO400 - 1-1600 sec - f8

In macro mode (I think) and shooting by estimation at full arms' stretch downwards aiming blind... turned out well enough!
Was loading up the car's rear boot when I heard a faint buzzing behind me lower down in the hedge.

Pretty darn good for guesswork!

• Thanks 1

Lock and dam near my home.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, fotografr said:

Lock and dam near my home.

Noisy! Trying to scale it... guard rails for people, so top rail about 3ft high, total fall of water about 10ft?

3 hours ago, piran said:

Noisy! Trying to scale it... guard rails for people, so top rail about 3ft high, total fall of water about 10ft?

Only noisy when water is being let in so boats can go from the lake to the river or vice versa. When completely empty it is about a 20ft drop.

Edited by fotografr
  • Thanks 1