T/TL/TL2 image thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

TL2 with 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R + APO-Extender-R 1.4X, 1/2000@f/5.6, ISO 400 . . . 

Pair o' 'keets (Red-Breasted Parakeets)...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Pier Poser. Leica T with 55-135.

• Like 9

I picked up the Apo-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm (now there's a name) late this afternoon in London, and took some shots on the walk back to the station.

I set it on A-mode, multifield focus (after online comments I wanted to check focus speed), exposure compensation -2/3.

Conclusions: wonderful colour (or rather, not wonderful, just true). Exposure: I really needed to tone it down even further in LR, but then it was bright sunshine and sharp shadow, so ideal conditions for blowing highlights. AF generally quick and accurate. Out of 57 shots it hunted on 2-3 (the SL would not have hunted). Multifield focusing is not the best for checking accuracy: it generally accurately focused on the nearest thing, which wasn't always what I wanted. I usually use spot or single point, so I'm sure this will not be a problem. When it didn't hunt, focusing was fast enough, though not SL fast.

Some shots......

Extended family

• Like 4

Caught the sun

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Transformer!

• Like 10

They say this coffee is vegan.

The focus hunted on this one, then focused on the window.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 5

The sun, the rails, the shadows and the skirt

• Like 7

Food stall

I took quite a lot here (Kings Cross forecourt), trying to capture hands, but the multifield AF was the wrong choice: it always focused on food closer than the hands

• Like 9

I picked up the Apo-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm (now there's a name) late this afternoon in London, and took some shots on the walk back to the station.

I set it on A-mode, multifield focus (after online comments I wanted to check focus speed), exposure compensation -2/3.

Conclusions: wonderful colour (or rather, not wonderful, just true). Exposure: I really needed to tone it down even further in LR, but then it was bright sunshine and sharp shadow, so ideal conditions for blowing highlights. AF generally quick and accurate. Out of 57 shots it hunted on 2-3 (the SL would not have hunted). Multifield focusing is not the best for checking accuracy: it generally accurately focused on the nearest thing, which wasn't always what I wanted. I usually use spot or single point, so I'm sure this will not be a problem. When it didn't hunt, focusing was fast enough, though not SL fast.

Some shots......

Extended family

attachicon.gifuntitled 25-08-17 -44.jpg

Paul, 

Would love to hear more of your impressions about this lens as I have been considering one.  I have heard comments that it does not do well focusing in low light.

(I have the 35 1.4 TL and it is outstanding).

Thank you.

Rob

Last one. Tomorrow I'll try macro.

Texting.

• Like 5

Yesterday evening whilst photographing birds at long distance using an original Leica T with an ancient Vixen Fluorite 810mm f9 astronomical telescope lens fitted with a Leitz APO 2x Extender R ( FF equivalent focal length 2430mm),  some curious sheep and goats appeared on a raised bank approx 60m behind me. I swung the the 'scope around and snapped the sheep … and then snapped the goat as it walked along the bank a little closer to me. The long focal length provides a slightly different perspective. The light was fading hence used ISO 3200; effective aperture with 2x extender = f18 and shutter speed was 1/320sec.

My TL2 is still being examined by Leica Camera AF Wetzlar following its return after discovering the Viso image cut-out anomaly … thus using the original T. 

Using such a long lens requires a sturdy tripod ...

cont'd …  

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 13

The Vixen Fluorite 'scope is mounted on a Jobu gimbal attached to a Berlebach heavy duty wooden tripod; a Manfrotto Super Clamp with Manfrotto long lens support with Novoflex Fork Mount provides additional lens support to prevent 'shake' … the resultant 2430mm focal length is liable to 'shake' hence camera's 2 second self timer was also used.  On the fence hide shelf is a Leica electronic rangefinder for measuring subject distances and a 1990s vintage Bausch & Lomb 10x42 'ELITE' binocular … in its day regarded as being better than the equivalent Leitz Trinovid binocular.  

The camera is coupled to the 'scope via: 1)  a T2 tube screwed onto the 'scope; 2)  a Leica R T2 adapter screwed onto the T2 tube; 3) a Novoflex Leica R to Leica T/SL  adapter. 

The Vixen Fluorite 'scope dating from the 1990s has a simple achromatic 2 element air spaced lens group … the middle air space in effect forming a third optical element. The rear element is 1990s Japanese laboratory grown artificial calcium fluorite - renowned for its lack of image aberrations. Back in the 1990s the Vixen Fluorite astro refractor telescope series were very highly regarded instruments; today they still command  premium secondhand prices by virtue of their high performance. Because of their high performance they can be used as camera lenses. 

The Leica T's monitor shows some juvenile herring gulls which are approx 90m distant form the fence hide. I'll post some bird shots separately. 

Best wishes

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 17

TL2 with 11-23mm@11mm . . . 

Skyline . . . 

• Like 10

Played with macro in the garden this afternoon with the Apo-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm

AF was generally not a problem, unless you expect it to lock on to a bee instantly as it moves around a flower bed and take the perfect shot of its compund eyes. I have done very little macro before, so I am still learning about depth of field and the best way to focus between manual and the various AF options. One thing is clear - single point AF is much more reliable than zone AF. The main trouble with single point though, is that you have to decide at the beginning where you want the point to be - you can't use the touch screen to move the single point (though you can with a spot). It would be nice to have a joystick or direction ring!

Some shots - all uncropped top to bottom, some cropped from side to side.

The first demonstrates Leica's traditional cavalier approach to red saturation!

• Like 4

One of my few successful shots of an insect momentarily settled.

• Like 5