Firmware version 4 available for CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

32 minutes ago, ramarren said:

Hmm. I realize it's likely a matter of my always using M and R lenses, but the way I have my camera setup I only very very rarely need to touch any menus at all. Aperture on the lens, focus on the lens, either EV comp or shutter speed on the left dial, focus mag on the right dial, ISO on right button, self timer on FN button. That's all I use 99% of the time.  :D

G

i use af lenses as well, but the mf/af shifts automatically when you mount a lens, so no need for a button or menu item. i never change iso and rarely use the self-timer. the things i need quick to hand  to change on the run are a way to toggle between color and b&w, and now the digital zoom. nearly any other digital camera has up to 50 screens of menus with multiple items and the cl has like 5 screens total, so it's not a half-day job to set the self-timer or bracketing or the things not needed as often. 

my priority wish would be to let me go direct to a film style without having to go into the menu and choose it. this was a game changer on my s1 because i now have a one button toggle to go direct to b&w or color.

/guy

14 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I am seriously trying to understand which icon you have to figure out, given that most of them are alphanumeric and they are identical to the ones that you have in the EVF info anyway... :lol:  

I guess you are just being ornery :p 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

i guess i'm ornery too because i count 6 out of 10 which are totally opaque and/or ambiguous. and just showing them as they appear at the top of the lcd is useless because there they're too tiny for me to see anyway and i completely ignore them.

btw, can this screen be used without the touch function? i'm frankly scared to experiment in here because there's no way to tell what you're doing. 

/guy

7 minutes ago, jaapv said:

So why don't you just add it to favourites and put it under the Fn button menu?? Or make a user profile for B&W?

i have it permanently on the right button. but it's a pain because you press the button, then you have to look down to see the horizontal menu, then move your selection to the film style you want. i have the positions memorized so i can go back and forth without looking most of the time, but think of how much better it could be by just pressing the right button to toggle? <press> and job done!  the gh5 and the s1 have spoiled me forever in this regards. 

i've beta tested software off and on all my life, so i haven't the slightest problems, and, in fact, i'm compelled to point out to programmers that they're lazy slobs without imagination. :) 

/guy

Edited by gteague

I wouldn't know. You can probably navigate with the arrow buttons and confirm button in the middle (just a guess)  Make a B&W user profile, and activate it in the top right button. So: press menu, tap user profile, scroll wheel to correct profile - done. Or put it under Fn. You don't have to look down, you can look through the EVF.

18 minutes ago, gteague said:

i guess i'm ornery too because i count 6 out of 10 which are totally opaque and/or ambiguous. and just showing them as they appear at the top of the lcd is useless because there they're too tiny for me to see anyway and i completely ignore them.

btw, can this screen be used without the touch function? i'm frankly scared to experiment in here because there's no way to tell what you're doing. 

/guy

I worked all the icons out inside 15 secs - well, maybe 30 secs. I just pressed any that weren't obvious to see what was underneath. If I found I'd changed something inadvertently, I simply loaded up my default profile again.

And by the same trial and error process, I found that the arrow buttons and centre button operate the status screen.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

57 minutes ago, ramarren said:

I'm not sure why everyone is always mentioning "the CL2". Is it so necessary that a newer model must be coming soon for you? Are you not happy with the CL as it is?

I was pretty happy with the CL just as it was when I bought it; all the fw updates since then have done nothing but add value to my original delight with the camera. There's very little I'm looking for in any kind of upgrade beyond the notion of wanting a dedicated port for a wired remote release.

G

I'm very happy with the CL (it displaced my M240), but not so besotted that I can't see how it could be improved. You use only a limited range of the CL functionality. I use quite a lot of it, and there are a number of things I would like to see in a CL2. I've listed them all in other threads, so I won't spell them out again here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I worked all the icons out inside 15 secs - well, maybe 30 secs. I just pressed any that weren't obvious to see what was underneath. If I found I'd changed something inadvertently, I simply loaded up my default profile again.

And by the same trial and error process, I found that the arrow buttons and centre button operate the status screen.

yeah, due to long experience i've learned not to poke and pray. it's not the users job to decode what the programmers and designers didn't present clearly. this is one huge reason (besides the grey on grey color schemes) that i can't use video editors--only a small fraction of the actual commands are in the menu system. the others are either completely invisible or hidden in icons so small you need a magnifier to see them.

oh, and decoding the icons is only the first step. you being the same age as me ought to sympathize that our memories aren't what they used to be. this is why i loved it when panasonic let you long-press a function button to reveal what it does. i used to have to carry index cards for each camera. really. seriously. :)

/guy

Edited by gteague
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I'm very happy with the CL (it displaced my M240), but not so besotted that I can't see how it could be improved. You use only a limited range of the CL functionality. I use quite a lot of it, and there are a number of things I would like to see in a CL2. I've listed them all in other threads, so I won't spell them out again here.

i'd happily settle for ois or ibis as i'm old and shaky. but if they put that into a cl2 i'm not sure i could pay another $1-2k to trade up.

/guy

No problem at all with those icons.
Same as SL2 FW 1.0 for their first appearance, same as Q2 FW 2.0 for their second appearance and now for their third appearance in CL FW 4.0. 

So it is around for 10 months now. It is not a novelty at all. 
Glad that they have unified the 3 members of the 3 buttons layout under the same user interface. 

They quite obvious and nice to work with. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 1

What a mess... Dunno how it happened but i started to take oversaturated pics so i had to restart the camera. But it did not change anything so i had to press the FN button to get me out. So i managed to disable the LCD but now i'm stuck in EVF only mode... Never seen that with any camera... What did i do (or undo) to be punished this way? 

so i still can't remember the icons from one session to the next, but based on the praise for the new screen i've whipped it into usability for me. i didn't turn on touch but i have managed to whittle down the favorites, /fn/ and right button functions to just 2-4 each. and since there's a user profile selection on that screen, i've created profiles for /color/ /mono/  and /panorama/ which latter basically eliminates me having to have scene mode assigned to a function button. i think that selecting the film style using the right button and then selecting it as opposed to selecting a user profile is about a toss up in terms of button pushes though and it's easier to push the right button than the left side buttons when holding the cl to your eye. 

so, the right button does digital zoom and toggle among the 3 settings. and the /fn/ button shows self-timer settings. i still have items like the focus area

so i've benefited from the digital zoom and the info screen in this update.

/guy

I think you shoot RAW so this would be a surprise. Are using a different lens from before you uploaded the new FW? Are you sure the actual images are over saturated when you view them on a computer screen, or only in the EVF? If that latter then you can adjust the EVF to show a range of different schemes including black and white.

Getting out of EVF will mean simply pressing the menu button which should mean you see all setting options on the LCD. If that doesn’t work you will have to scroll through the menu pages using the EVF until you reach the screen settings options.

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

I think you shoot RAW so this would be a surprise. Are using a different lens from before you uploaded the new FW? Are you sure the actual images are over saturated when you view them on a computer screen, or only in the EVF? If that latter then you can adjust the EVF to show a range of different schemes including black and white.

There is a "VIV" icon on the new screen apparently. Perhaps i've hit it i don't know how. Now as soon as i can use my profiles the camera works as expected. I'll try to keep the LCD disabled and see how the camera works this way. Thank you for the trick anyway :).

haha! sorry to have to laugh at this. you seem to have butt-dialed the setting i have to use to get half-way decent jpgs out of the cl. i don't edit, so i depend on tweaks to the film styles and i've had to crank the /viv/ settings up to 11 just to get what i consider a normal looking jpg. same thing with mono, i've cranked the mono-hd to the max as well and i toggle back and forth between those settings. i've never seen anything approaching over-saturation on my sample of the camera. perhaps you could set it back that way and send me the profile. :):):) 

/guy

i was being facetious and i've got mine dialed in now. but i'd be up the creek if someone asked for an image which looked like hdr--i'd have to do that in an editor. on my panasonicss all i have to do is ratchet the sharpness up a notch to make up for not doing it in post. glad you figured it out--that's why i avoid poke and pray like the plague no matter how many people laugh at my inability to decode icons. wait, i'm not avoiding the plague? oh well, 2 out of 3. ....... :) 

/guy

Just gimmicks for soccer mom photogs if you ask me. They cannot take a photograph w/o "touching" (why not licking?) something. And after that they chimp. Dear little things :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gteague said:

oh, and decoding the icons is only the first step. you being the same age as me ought to sympathize that our memories aren't what they used to be. ..

I don't suffer from that at all. I have near-perfect recall of almost anything but people's names. :D 

G

• Like 1