Firmware version 4 available for CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Louis said:

I think this is because you were stil in LO0.... if you were in L01... and higher, then I guess it would have started from 0.

I restarted in L00 with other directories on the chip in use.  That's a long-standing complaint.

7 hours ago, gteague said:

btw, the pixels are 6000x4000, 4800x3200, and 3360x2240. i had to reduce all 3 to 1920 in order to post.

If your pixel count is accurate, crop factor inside CL is :    
1.25x = 15.36MP which has around the same effective sensor size as Q2 50mm crop and is a little bit bigger than m4/3 sensor. With 1.88x crop factor
1.79x = 7.53MP which has the same effective sensor size as Q2 75mm crop and as 1 inch sensor. With 2.68x crop factor. 

I guess that rounding to 1.3x and 1.7x is easier for the user. 🤔

If CL crop mode works like Q2 one. It will be very interesting. 
It’ll save you the trouble to crop hundreds of pictures manually. 
It’ll expose and AF only within the frame line.  
These two tricks really help Q2 to be a real quad lenses setup. 

I will test that thoroughly when I get back from holidays. 

• Thanks 1

I’m really into this new touch activated status screen. Although my use of the top dials is in the muscle memory now, I think I’ll be using this a fair bit for quick settings adjustments.

That said, I remain disappointed that 25p video is still not offered in the CL.

Just installed the update, seamlessly.

- Crop mode: I'll just forget it and crop in post. I'm not a good enough photographer to know exactly how I want to crop while shooting, and I don't shoot jpg.

- Video: lack of 25/50fps option - I thought Leica was a European company.

- Touch status screen. I'll see how it goes; I've avoided touch so far for any operation on the CL (happily used it, of course, on the TL2).This is designed for touch so it ought to be quicker than the Favourites menu, though I'd got pretty quick with that. My experience of touch on the Huawei phone interface (which this more resembles than the TL2) is Fat Finger Syndrome - difficult to adjust settings on a scale on screen when you're doing live, real world photography and not sitting at a desk. I will have to get used to the sequence MENU>touch>dial, which is a bit clumsy (relying on my right thumb to hit the correct symbol), but probably safer than MENU>touch>touch-adjust.

- Favourites screen: this is pretty much redundant for me now - I just have Format and Self Timer left. I'd like the option to turn off the Favourites screen or, better, to choose either Status Screen or Favourites Screen, or both, or neither. 

- Profiles: having just removed most of the entries on the Favourites menu, I realise I'll have to update all my profiles to match. I wish Leica (and any camera company) would allow you to update a profile with selected elements, as one can with develop presets in Lightroom. 

- Copyright: I'm puzzled - why are there two fields (Info and Artist)? I tried putting my website address in one but the field isn't long enough. What is one expected to put here? Anyway, I insert copyright info into metadata automatically when importing to Lightroom. Files get renamed automatically at the same time, so I'm not affected by the file numbering issue.

- Touch AF + Shutter: I don't use this, because I don't take my face from the EVF when shooting with the CL.

- Leica Fotos: when I can summon the energy I'll try this again - see if download speed is any better. I have rarely used Fotos for camera control.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

- Crop mode: I'll just forget it and crop in post. I'm not a good enough photographer to know exactly how I want to crop while shooting, and I don't shoot jpg.

- Video: lack of 25/50fps option - I thought Leica was a European company.

Crop is only really useful for DNG shooter. Not that much for Jpg. Because you can change the crop later in Lightroom, or revert to full 24MP if needed. In JPG you will be out of luck. By the way CL jpeg is not good enough to be considered.

We don’t need 25/50 FPS anymore. the day of PAL/SECAM is over and not really relevant today. 
24/30/60 FPS would be nice though. 
Because your smartphone, tablet, computer screen and your TV will output 1080p 1440p 4K 5K 6K 8K in 60fps. But never in 50fps...    Even the camera screen will display 60fps.        

Edited by nicci78

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Crop is only really useful for DNG shooter. Not that much for Jpg. Because you can change the crop later in Lightroom, or revert to full 24MP if needed. In JPG you will be out of luck. By the way CL jpeg is not good enough to be considered.

We don’t need 25/50 FPS anymore. the day of PAL/SECAM is over and not really relevant today. 
24/30/60 FPS would be nice though. 
Because your smartphone, tablet, computer screen and your TV will output 1080p 1440p 4K 5K 6K 8K in 60fps. But never in 50fps...    Even the camera screen will display 60fps.        

Sure (though my older TV has a 50Hz refresh rate). It would be nice to have the choice, though, as offered by other brands/cameras. I won't be using the CL for video - I have other stuff for serious video, and my phone is quicker for casual family moments.

The difference between TL2 and CL is even crazier now. CL got 3 major firmware updates. And TL2 none.

CL released in 2017, got a 3 years and counting of FW updates

TL2 released in 2017, got only one year of FW update until late 2018...

I guess that I bet on the right horse.

• Like 2

I downloaded the new firmware from the UK site. In the camera, it said I had firmware 1.1 and said there was no file to upgrade from.

I downloaded from the US site. This time the camera said I was on version 3.2, and then installed the new firmware without difficulty.

Anyone else have this strange problem?

Robert

12 hours ago, gteague said:

yeah, here's what the changelog says: 

"Digital zoom function for all TL Lenses - 1,3x and 1,7x    Possibility to zoom further into the image than the optical focal length and the optical zoom of the used lens allow while taking pictures."

"Digital zoom" in this implementation means "Crop the raw image by 1.3x or 1.7x and interpolate to the 4000x6000 pixel format for JPEG" if you are only saving JPEG image output. How else would one implement "digital zoom"? You can't create data out of thin air, you simply take what you get and fit it to the desired space. 

Yes, it works for any lens, not just TL lenses. 

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

Ah - I see. Apart from the framelines (which I have no use for as I find it better to estimate the crop that I will apply more precisely on my computer screen - it is mostly not centered) it is a feature for JPG shooters. I had a small hope that Leica had implemented an algorithm that was better than simple cropping - clearly not.
Thanks guys, it saves me the trouble to try it out.

Here is a quick example of the function shown in Lightroom Classic, Develop module, with the crop mode enabled. I made three exposures, one full-frame, one with 1.3x crop, and one with 1.7x crop, using an M-mount Summilux 35mm lens. The output DNGs have the framing dimensions modified to suit the crop. The resulting pixel counts and FoV are easily visible.

Full frame:
35mm is 'normal' on the CL format, equivalent to a ~50mm lens on FF format.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Crop 1.3x:
...equivalent ~65mm lens on FF format.

Crop 1.7x:
...equivalent to an ~85mm lens on FF format.

I find it useful in the same way that the frame line lever on my M4-2 is useful: Looking through the viewfinder, a previsualization tool. 

Regards the file numbering: Whenever I do a shooting session and arrive home to look at the exposures I've made, I upload them to the computer and delete them from the camera, I erase them from the camera. So I'm always in folder 100 on the camera and the file numbers always roll up sequentially. I don't do this when I'm on travel, but then I never do a firmware upgrade when I'm traveling. :D

G

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Just installed the update, seamlessly.

<del>

- Copyright: I'm puzzled - why are there two fields (Info and Artist)? I tried putting my website address in one but the field isn't long enough. What is one expected to put here? Anyway, I insert copyright info into metadata automatically when importing to Lightroom. Files get renamed automatically at the same time, so I'm not affected by the file numbering issue.

<del>

i have no commercial need for copyright, but like having my name in the metadata as i've had people 'appropriate' my photos without any attribution. i put my creative commons license blurb in the /info/ field. 

btw, does the 1953 mean you were born that year? i was. 

/guy

Edited by gteague
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gteague said:

i have no commercial need for copyright, but like having my name in the metadata as i've had people 'appropriate' my photos without any attribution. i put my creative commons license blurb in the /info/ field. 

btw, does the 1953 mean you were born that year? i was. 

/guy

I was!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramarren said:

"Digital zoom" in this implementation means "Crop the raw image by 1.3x or 1.7x and interpolate to the 4000x6000 pixel format for JPEG" if you are only saving JPEG image output. How else would one implement "digital zoom"? You can't create data out of thin air, you simply take what you get and fit it to the desired space. 

ah! consider yourself lucky not to have encountered the original way to do digital zoom--to create pixels out of nothing. and it's been properly shunned by anyone with the brains to tie their shoes in the morning. you'd think leica would be aware enough to not use the term. panasonic offers both digital zoom and tele converter and the former mode is only for the ignorant.

/guy

4 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I was!

sadly, less and less of us old farts each year. and the plague is cutting through us like butter. i haven't been outside anywhere with people for over six months now and i expect to have to stay inside for minimum another year and even then the vax deniers will replace the mask deniers in trying to kill us off. :):)

/guy

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gteague said:

ah! consider yourself lucky not to have encountered the original way to do digital zoom--to create pixels out of nothing. and it's been properly shunned by anyone with the brains to tie their shoes in the morning. you'd think leica would be aware enough to not use the term. panasonic offers both digital zoom and tele converter and the former mode is only for the ignorant.

/guy

I don't see the distinction you're making between "digital zoom" and "tele-converter". It is always a process of interpolation if you're expanding the number of pixels from a crop to the "full frame" resolution. Working with the raw files, there's no interpolation... You know precisely and specifically how many pixels of real data you're working with. 

You and LocalHero are a year older than I am. :) Next Wednesday is my 66th bday. 

• Like 1

This all sounds interesting, I am stuck though trying to update. I think I had similar problem with 3.2, but must have sorted. I download the update to my mac. I copy the update from download folder to formatted SD card in card reader. The file shows on the SD card. I put the card in the camera and go to update, but am advised no update on card. When I put the card back in reader on the Mac, the file is no longer there! The card isn't locked. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? 

8 minutes ago, Stephencdean said:

This all sounds interesting, I am stuck though trying to update. I think I had similar problem with 3.2, but must have sorted. I download the update to my mac. I copy the update from download folder to formatted SD card in card reader. The file shows on the SD card. I put the card in the camera and go to update, but am advised no update on card. When I put the card back in reader on the Mac, the file is no longer there! The card isn't locked. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? 

when you view the file on the sd card, what's the size? is there another such file anywhere on the card? have you tried taking one image on the card to create the file structure before copying? be sure to put the new file in the /root directory (top level) of the card. 

just spitballin' here ....

just checked. the file should have an .ifu extension and on my mac it's about 85mb although this could vary depending on your drive size. 

/guy

Edited by gteague