Firmware version 4 available for CL

I change the file name when I upload into LR to Occasion_YYYYMMDD_####, where the latter is a placeholder for a running number. That avoids all problems with filenames. Works for me (but I understand that others simply prefer a running number, of course).

2 minutes ago, Joachim_I said:

I change the file name when I upload into LR to Occasion_YYYYMMDD_####, where the latter is a placeholder for a running number. That avoids all problems with filenames. Works for me (but I understand that others simply prefer a running number, of course).

i used to do that using a template in renameit. but i kept forgetting to run the macro, so i've reverted back to the minimum of doing nothing. :) :) :) 

i suspect that with the advent of attaching actions to folders about 2-3 mac os version ago you could simply attach a macro or applescript which would do it automatically for you. 

/guy

Edited by gteague

Just now, gteague said:

i used to do that using a template in renameit. but i kept forgetting to run the macro, so i've reverted back to the minimum of doing nothing. :) :) :)

You can do this from within LR (if that is what you are using) when you import your files. No extra macro required.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, gteague said:

and why wouldn't  they have fixed the universal complaint about the wandering focus point? it doesn't bother me because i've turned off the touch function, but it's the first thing new users mention.

/guy

How do you turn the wondering off?

1 minute ago, mustafasoleiman said:

How do you turn the wondering off?

i think i just disabled the touch screen. i can't use it anyway with the evf because my nose changes sh1t. but i haven't had any problems since i did that. 

/guy

4 minutes ago, Joachim_I said:

You can do this from within LR (if that is what you are using) when you import your files. No extra macro required.

i suspect dxo would as well. but i don't edit unless i'm paid or desperate. :)  i simply read the files in off  the card to my folder structure and then copy them out to use them. 

/guy

1 hour ago, gteague said:

before you updated, did you guys  have yours set to reset the number when a new card was put in? because my card had image #s up to L0000395 and when i took a test shot without changing anything i got L0000396 just as i wanted. and i can't remember having any problems with this since i got the camera and i've updated at least 2x now. 

/guy

I think this is because you were stil in LO0.... if you were in L01... and higher, then I guess it would have started from 0.

• Like 1

Very pleased with the new status (touch) screen. Well thought out and harmonizes the camera operation with my TL which will be hanging from my other shoulder. (doesn't bode well for the TL line, though... :( ). I already liked the more primitive "quick menu" on the GX8, this is far better.
Digital zoom? Of very little interest to me. I'm highly unlikely to run out of focal length, and I prefer to crop in post and tweak the composition on a large screen.
Copyright information? Meh. I always use a. template when importing in Bridge - but I can see why others might like it.
Fotos - it never gave me trouble, but more simple is always welcome.

BUT! Leica, why on earth didn't you fix the b***y wandering focus point? Just one menu item: "lock focus point"... 🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Very pleased with the new status (touch) screen. Well thought out and harmonizes the camera operation with my TL which will be hanging from my other shoulder. (doesn't bode well for the TL line, though... :( ). Digital zoom? Of very little interest to me. I'm highly unlikely to run out of focal length, and I prefer to crop in post and tweak the composition on a large screen. Copyright information? Meh. I always use a. template when importing in Bridge - but I can see why others might like it. Fotos - it never gave me trouble, but more simple is always welcome.

BUT! Leica, why on earth didn't you fix the b***y wandering focus point? Just one menu item: "lock focus point"... 🙄

oh! so that's why i didn't see much point to the new info screen. it's touch activated. i have touch turned off, so useless to me except for the info display then. 

also, as with the focus point, why not an option to turn it off if you want to go back to two-click menus?

/guy

Yes,  turning touch screen off will "fix" the bug, but for my use it is not an option. The camera operation is  more smooth and quick with the touchscreen on. Also with manual lenses, if only for the simplified playback. This update enhances the usability considerably.

• Like 1

ok, so i have good news. seems the best feature of the update _was_ the digital zoom. but it's not. digital zoom has been rightly shunned for 20-30 years because it mangles the pixels to achieve magnification. but my panasonic's use a resolution reduction method and the images are smaller when it's employed. and in my situation walking a semi-rural route each evening and rarely going without seeing critters off the road, i use it constantly no matter what focal length lens i have mounted. and it works splendidly. i just push a handy button and cycle through 1.4x and 2.0x and then back off. it could not be easier and more effective as long as you don't need the extra pixels.

i'm ecstatic to report that leica has used this latter method and that it's just as easy to deploy it. i assigned digital zoom to the /fn/ button and i press it once and it goes into 1.3x mag. but the image doesn't actually magnify as on the panasonics, no, a frame line appears with the restricted image area. press it again and it's 1.7x and a still smaller frame appears for framing. press again and you're back to normal.

from reading the fw changelog, i assumed this would only work on my tl lens which is a 23mm. and it might be useful as that would provide 35/~50/~60-75mm focal lengths i think--haven't done those calculations. but to my delight it worked just fine with my 50 'chron which is a 75mm equivalent. 1.3x becomes about 100mm and 1.7x about 125mm. all f2 and exceedingly useful.

i took two sets for you guys, but i missed focus badly on the first set. luckily the 2nd set was a better chosen subject. tell me if you think much of the quality of the image is being degraded by using it? i can tell just by eyeballing  that it will work dandy for my current usage of internet posting.

btw, the pixels are 6000x4000, 4800x3200, and 3360x2240. i had to reduce all 3 to 1920 in order to post.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by gteague
  • Like 1

yeah, here's what the changelog says: 

"Digital zoom function for all TL Lenses - 1,3x and 1,7x    Possibility to zoom further into the image than the optical focal length and the optical zoom of the used lens allow while taking pictures."

it would appear both of these statements are wrong. it's not digital zoom and it works on other lenses. unless it works differently on my /m/ lens as they described, but i highly doubt that.

/guy

My CL is set to capture DNG only. I use only adapted lenses, M and R mount. The digital zoom function simply sets the raw image file's dimension to the appropriate numbers for cropping. You can modify the cropping in LR after the fact. 

I don't care about the original file numbering at all, but the update on my camera didn't change the sequence at all anyway. 

Wandering focus point never affects me since I don't have any AF lenses. A simple one push to regain center position on the focus box Would be nice, however. 

I use any touch controls so infrequently I usually forget the camera has a touch screen. I don't really see much point to the control panel in my use, would like to be able to disable it. 

i have a few more things to test.. ;)

the images i posted never touched an editor and i don't use raw anyway. they automatically 'cropped'. to me, it's exactly like my 50 /m/ lens is 50mm (in mag purposes) on my s1 ff body. it becomes a 75mm (for mag purposes) on the cl. if i put it on an m43 camera it would become a 100mm lens effectively. and the pixels are reduced in relation to sensor size--thus this tele-converter function (as it should be called--that's what panny calls it) literally can't reduce the quality of the lens although the sensors might differ in the resulting quality comparatively. 

/guy

Edited by gteague

CL with FW 4.0 :
- 1.3x crop = 14.2MP with an effective sensor size slightly bigger than m4/3 one = 1.95x   
- 1.7x crop = 8.3MP with an effective sensor size slightly bigger than 1 inch one = 2.55x

CL ergonomics and functionalities are now at parity again with Q2
Roughly said Q2 FW2.0 = CL FW4.0

I am so glad to use CL alongside Q2. They are still made for each other. 
It is so easy to use them together. 

So FW 4.0 is the stimulus that Stefan Daniel talked about to help CL sales. 

• Like 3

Ah - I see. Apart from the framelines (which I have no use for as I find it better to estimate the crop that I will apply more precisely on my computer screen - it is mostly not centered) it is a feature for JPG shooters. I had a small hope that Leica had implemented an algorithm that was better than simple cropping - clearly not.
Thanks guys, it saves me the trouble to try it out.

• Like 1