Firmware version 4 available for CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, gteague said:

when you view the file on the sd card, what's the size? is there another such file anywhere on the card? have you tried taking one image on the card to create the file structure before copying? 

just spitballin' here ....

/guy

Just tried again to check. It is 83.3mb, file name CL__40_.lfu . Shows clear as day and pastes with no error. It seems the card dumps it when I eject it from the Mac. If I eject the card, but then disconnect the card reader and connect to mac again, the file is no longer on the card. I read somewhere else about moving file to desktop and then copying from there, but that didn't seem to resolve. 

Just now, Stephencdean said:

Just tried again to check. It is 83.3mb, file name CL__40_.lfu . Shows clear as day and pastes with no error. It seems the card dumps it when I eject it from the Mac. If I eject the card, but then disconnect the card reader and connect to mac again, the file is no longer on the card. I read somewhere else about moving file to desktop and then copying from there, but that didn't seem to resolve. 

i do download direct to the finder desktop directory. does your mac have  an sd card reader? mine does but it's in the rear, so i use a reader. do you have another card you can try? i wouldn't trust that one, at least for the updates or maybe anything but it could be your card reader as well. can you move it to a different usb port?

/guy

5 hours ago, nicci78 said:

We don’t need 25/50 FPS anymore. the day of PAL/SECAM is over and not really relevant today. 
24/30/60 FPS would be nice though. 
Because your smartphone, tablet, computer screen and your TV will output 1080p 1440p 4K 5K 6K 8K in 60fps. But never in 50fps...    Even the camera screen will display 60fps.        

Who is this “we”?

i live and work in the UK as a director and camera operator and my work is delivered exclusively in 25p.

Clearly the CL is first and foremost a great stills camera but it is a shame Leica routinely fail to support PAL on their non SL cameras. It really wouldn’t take much to do it.

• Like 1

i hate to drag out this old trope, but have you rebooted the mac? i suspect either the card or the reader or the usb bus. i'd reboot the mac and then try changing those elements one by one.

oh, what browser are you using to download? is it updated? can you try another browser? the download could be getting corrupted somehow despite the size matching.

/guy

Edited by gteague

17 minutes ago, gteague said:

i hate to drag out this old trope, but have you rebooted the mac? i suspect either the card or the reader or the usb bus. i'd reboot the mac and then try changing those elements one by one.

oh, what browser are you using to download? is it updated? can you try another browser? the download could be getting corrupted somehow despite the size matching.

/guy

Tried the reboot, no help (always worth a go!). Tried the different card I had saved my profiles on. The profiles files was written on this card by the camera fine. Still won't hold the firmware update file though. Tried another usb C port on the mac with the SD card reader (A SanDisk stick type reader). What I did before will come to me eventually! Thanks for help so far! Using Safari, tried with Chrome, again with no success. 

Tried copying the update instructions, but again, they won't stick once you eject the card and reconnect it again. Something to do with card reader, and or card? Will try another/third card

Edited by Stephencdean

8 minutes ago, Stephencdean said:

Tried the reboot, no help (always worth a go!). Tried the different card I had saved my profiles on. The profiles files was written on this card by the camera fine. Still won't hold the firmware update file though. Tried another usb C port on the mac with the SD card reader (A SanDisk stick type reader). What I did before will come to me eventually! Thanks for help so far! Using Safari, tried with Chrome, again with no success. 

so you're using a usb-c to usb-a converter for the reader, right? the reader isn't usb-c is it? sometimes you can run into bizarre problems due to usb-c not being implemented the same across devices. and even the cables are a nightmare--some carry power and some carry data and some might carry both if you hold your finger to the wind right. but i assume that none of this stuff is new, right? you've been using it before?

so you have usb-c ports, but no sd card slot? i haven't owned any macbooks in many years, so i'm not up to speed on the latest 'must-have' feature apple has removed, but they're famous for that crap.

about the next thing i'd suggest (and i realize this would be impossible for me and will be hard for anyone in the time of the plague) is to find another computer and download the file to the original card and a spare card and see if the same thing happens. this is a toughie, but i used to live for this stuff being a beta tester for decades (now retired, mostly!). 

all i can say is that i'm on an imac running catalina 10.15.5 and using chrome 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit) and downloading direct to desktop then finder copying (dragging) from desktop to a card i just took out of the camera which has been in use for months using a sony combo xqd/sdxc card reader connected via usb3 to a usb3 hub which is connected to the rear of the imac. i made sure there were no previous upd files on the card and put the file (which is 83.x mb on my computer as well) in the root of the card.

/guy

Edited by gteague

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have done it! I have a USB C card reader, so connects to USB C port on Mac. I found a very old SD card from a Panny camera, deleted the folders on it, and loaded the firmware update. Checked by ejecting and then connecting card reader again, and it seemed to work! Put in camera and firmware updating now. Even asked me if I wanted to save profiles! Complete now, including restoring profiles I had for manual lenses. Thanks for hand holding. This is one of the s**t happens scenarios I suspect. I will save the panny card somewhere safe! 

• Haha 1

well, hey. gotta get some mileage out of 35 years of tech support, don't i? and now someone i had to train is doing my job for 35-cents. that's the way of the world, innit? glad you got it working. so this means the original card is untrustworthy, right? although it might work fine for images or in another device. i like the sandisk extreme pro cards and a 128gb can be had now for about $34 USD. /guy

44 minutes ago, gteague said:

so you're using a usb-c to usb-a converter for the reader, right? the reader isn't usb-c is it? sometimes you can run into bizarre problems due to usb-c not being implemented the same across devices. and even the cables are a nightmare--some carry power and some carry data and some might carry both if you hold your finger to the wind right. but i assume that none of this stuff is new, right? you've been using it before?

so you have usb-c ports, but no sd card slot? i haven't owned any macbooks in many years, so i'm not up to speed on the latest 'must-have' feature apple has removed, but they're famous for that crap.

about the next thing i'd suggest (and i realize this would be impossible for me and will be hard for anyone in the time of the plague) is to find another computer and download the file to the original card and a spare card and see if the same thing happens. this is a toughie, but i used to live for this stuff being a beta tester for decades (now retired, mostly!). 

all i can say is that i'm on an imac running catalina 10.15.5 and using chrome 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit) and downloading direct to desktop then finder copying (dragging) from desktop to a card i just took out of the camera which has been in use for months using a sony combo xqd/sdxc card reader connected via usb3 to a usb3 hub which is connected to the rear of the imac. i made sure there were no previous upd files on the card and put the file (which is 83.x mb on my computer as well) in the root of the card.

/guy

I use a Satechi USB-C multiport and it has solved any problems I might have. It has USB 1/2, USB-C  HDMI, and Ethernet interfaces, and SD  and Micro-SD card readers.

1 hour ago, ruskkyle said:

Who is this “we”?

i live and work in the UK as a director and camera operator and my work is delivered exclusively in 25p.

Clearly the CL is first and foremost a great stills camera but it is a shame Leica routinely fail to support PAL on their non SL cameras. It really wouldn’t take much to do it.

I guess that you need a real camcorder, not a general public CL... of course it should be able to let us choose any frame rates. But 30/60p is already enough for the public. 

10 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

I guess that you need a real camcorder, not a general public CL... of course it should be able to let us choose any frame rates. But 30/60p is already enough for the public. 

For someone who started a thread in which you said the CL had no future and you were going to sell your CL, you are now remarkably keen to defend a firmware update. Though as you now declare you have "backed the winning horse", perhaps we shouldn't be surprised.😉

• Like 1

No. But it is a perfect control center  You tap the parameter you want to control and use the right wheel to change it. Saves a lot of menu work. I think it is a vast improvement. The rest are just minor tweaks and gimmicks. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

For someone who started a thread in which you said the CL had no future and you were going to sell your CL, you are now remarkably keen to defend a firmware update. Though as you now declare you have "backed the winning horse", perhaps we shouldn't be surprised.😉

Exactly, Leica just made the right move for me to stay on the boat. Perfect timing.

I was afraid that they left the CL for dead soon. This new firmware proved the contrary. Thanks Leica. Sorry for doubting. 

Of course I was doubting about APS-C future : no new lens since 2017 ! TL2 left for dead, only one year after its launch. No rumours about CL2. Nothing. CL ergonomics were lagging behind brand new Q2 and SL2. Today it is up do date. What’s not to like ? 

Please just release a CL2 with IBIS and we will be really reassure about APS-C future in Leica line up.

• Like 3

I’m not rushing into upgrading to 4.0. I don’t use either touchscreen or jpeg so see no advantage.  By the way you old guys aren’t dry behind the ears yet. I’m 83 and still enjoying my CL, M7, and M8. Love the CL both with autofocus and manually with M, and Nikor lenses. Hope I live long enough for wandering focus point to be fixed. 
Cheers, Dan

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

No. But it is a perfect control center  You tap the parameter you want to control and use the right wheel to change it. Saves a lot of menu work. I think it is a vast improvement. The rest are just minor tweaks and gimmicks. 

Tapping while taking pictures, you mean with the nose? Just kidding but i must be too old or stupid to use those smartphone cameras. Do you know if it is possible to revert to the previous firmware?

5 minutes ago, lct said:

Tapping while taking pictures, you mean with the nose? Just kidding but i must be too old or stupid to use those smartphone cameras. Do you know if it is possible to revert to the previous firmware?

for someone who's worked with images all my life, i  cannot decipher any icon. none of them. if there aren't tooltips when you hover over them i'm lost.

if i'm forced to use an icon, i call it poke and pray mode because i won't have the slightest idea what it'll do up to and including playing thermonuclear war. whoever invented that concept needs to be dug up, drawn and quartered, then hanged and buried again. i detest them. and yet i was a very early adopter of the mac. go figure. /guy

/guy

Edited by gteague

20 minutes ago, gteague said:

for someone who's worked with images all my life, i  cannot decipher any icon. none of them. if there aren't tooltips when you hover over them i'm lost.

if i'm forced to use an icon, i call it poke and pray mode because i won't have the slightest idea what it'll do up to and including playing thermonuclear war. whoever invented that concept needs to be dug up, drawn and quartered, then hanged and buried again. i detest them. and yet i was a very early adopter of the mac. go figure. /guy

/guy

Things like "ISO" are hardly an icon ;) ... I am quite a fan of icon-driven menus, I confess.