Leica M10-R: Review by Jonathan Slack

jonoslack

As always a great article Jono, I would only say that the sensor is not ”bigger” than the M10’s, it has more resolution but still is the same size 👍🏼

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rivi1969 said:

As always a great article Jono, I would only say that the sensor is not ”bigger” than the M10’s, it has more resolution but still is the same size 👍🏼

Thanks for sharing.

+1.  A pet peeve of mine.  

But thanks, as usual, Jono.

Jeff

Jono, I always look at your reports to view the images taken with each camera you've been field testing.  I find the photos made by actual photographers tell me more than the specifications and marketing speak.  Now that the M10-R has been officially released and I’ve had a chance to view your sample images, it looks like significant improvements were made in image quality.

As always, thank you for your contributions.

Peter.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Hi Jono, 

You say "in my opinion it has the best image quality of any M camera ever made", does this include the M10-M I wonder, does this new camera offer better IQ for B&W conversions? 

Well, that's an interesting point, I guess that the resolution is better with the M10-M, but I like colour myself (why I said in my opinion). Certainly I prefer to do conversions from colour

• Like 2

Jono, for comparison, what max ISO did you deem ‘comfortable’ shooting with the M10 (to the same degree as 12,500 with the M10-R)?Likewise, for b&w conversions, how would you compare max ISO personal comfort compared to the M10 Monochrom?

Jeff

Thanks Jono! Improved control of highlights is a big plus in my book. One has to be quite careful with previous M's, as well as SL/SL2, in order to avoid (too) digital-looking highlights. At least for my liking. It's good to see an improvement here, as is also seen in S3, the latter not too surprising since M10R and S3 share sensor architecture and processing (as far as I understand it). Goodie...!

• Like 2

I'm glad that the increased resolution doesn't obsolete my lenses. I'm using the 50/2 Summicron (fairly late version but not the super expensive new 50) and the 35/2 ASPH. I also have the 90/4 Elmar but hardly ever use it and even more so for the 135/2.8 goggles lens. I'm tempted to buy a 24 but probably wouldn't use it that much. The M10 compared to the M9 has been mostly a wonderful benefit in low ISO but it's a great camera in all ways for me. Very nice review thanks!

Edited by carbon_dragon
  • Like 1

Another question, Jono.  Did you need to adjust your shooting habits at all due to the higher resolution, e.g., to avoid camera shake?  There has been much debate here as to whether that’s a real issue in the first place, depending on viewing magnification, subject matter, etc.

Jeff

• Like 1

As always, thanks for the write up, Jono. Truth be told this is perhaps the first time in a long time that I could have perhaps written a review without ever having touched the camera and got it at least 95% correct.  All seems as expected given the M10M and frankly thats not a bad thing. Hope to have one soon. Thanks again. 

• Like 1