Leica M10-R: Review by Jonathan Slack

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for the review Jono!

A quick question. How does the Leica DNG file pre-cooking on the M10-R compare to M240 files vs the original M10 files. I'm probably not in the majority here, but like the flatness of the M240 files more because I can do more tweaking with them than I can with the M10 files.

To me, the M10 files, while trying to look more like files from the M9, are too pre-baked out of the box to my liking.

Edited by roma
P.S. How's the battery life compared to the original M10?

Jono - thanks for the insights.  Chapeau!

Having just got the SL2 - and at last REALLY enjoying an L mount camera, how do you compare the SL2 sensor to the M10R's.  Are they equivalent to one another?  I have to say that I do like the files the SL2 produces... But I think I may have to wait a bit before stumping up for the M10R!

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 2

Great review as always, nice to see the good with the bad all reported in a balanced way. I especially like the fact you’ve not marked it down for having manual focus 😂

Edited by wattsr
Typo
  • Haha 1

Hi Jono... I'm curious around any thoughts you might have about keeping an M10 as a compliment. Finances and the obvious advantage of having multiple bodies aside, could you find  any significant reason(s) to retain the M10 along side the R?  I also didn't see any mention of the EVF.  Presumably all is pretty much as it has been, but I'm curious if you used it at all and if so, did you note any differences in low light performance or black out times, for example. 

Jono

Great in depth review as per your usual balanced look. I hope you had a chance to see my images that were used for the Leica website and blog. Strangely, I seem to say more or less the same as you.

Best to you, Huw

www.palmant.com

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Jono. Thanks for sharing your review. 
I have a question on the battery life. Is this new M10.R less powerconsuming than the M10 | M10.P ? In the specs it seems to have a battery of [...] nominal voltage 7.4V, capacity 1100mAh [...] whereas the others have a larger capacity of 1300mAh ... 
Did you notice this difference working with the new M10.R ... did you have to change batteries sooner? 
In advance, thanks for your reply. 
Bert | NL

Edited by bert c

2 hours ago, bert c said:

Hello Jono. Thanks for sharing your review. 
I have a question on the battery life. Is this new M10.R less powerconsuming than the M10 | M10.P ? In the specs it seems to have a battery of [...] nominal voltage 7.4V, capacity 1100mAh [...] whereas the others have a larger capacity of 1300mAh ... 
Did you notice this difference working with the new M10.R ... did you have to change batteries sooner? 
In advance, thanks for your reply. 
Bert | NL

Wait...I thought they all used the same battery? 

Well ... that’s is not my question. I wonder if the M10R is less or ‘smart’ power consuming since Wetzlar equipped it with a less powerful 1100 mAh battery and not a 1300mAh like it’s predecessors M10 | M10P. 

3 hours ago, bert c said:

NOT according to the latest specs ... it says: nominal voltage 7.4V, capacity 1100mAh

The battery in my M10 is at least 1100mAh. But I would be very surprised if all M10 does not share the same, and even so if the physical dimensions are the same, the connectors and the voltage, the capacity does not really matter.

Edited by mmx_2

8 hours ago, bilbrown said:

Wouldn't the original M10 be better at low light? I'd love to see ISO 6400 on both to see the difference. But I guess this isnt a comparison, maybe I should do it.

Leica are claiming it is being better at low light and dynamics. I have seen one independent review which agrees with this. Sounds like Leica have got it right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mmx_2 said:

The battery in my M10 is at least 1100mAh. But I would be very surprised if all M10 does not share the same, and even so if the physical dimensions are the same, the connectors and the voltage, the capacity does not really matter.

You're absolutely right! I've checked my batteries also ... all three are the 1100mAh version. So there is obvious some misinformation in the Leica M10|M10P specs pdf file on their website where the batteries are stated as 1300 mAh ...

Issue solved  🙂

Edited by bert c
  • Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb bert c:

You're absolutely right! I've checked my batteries also ... all three are the 1100mAh version. So there is obvious some misinformation in the Leica M10|M10P specs pdf file on their website where the batteries are stated as 1300 mAh ...

Issue solved  🙂

Still it's a little strange: The M10 and the M10-P say: 

1 Lithium-Ionen Akku, Nennspannung 7,4V, Kapazität 1300mAh; maximale/r Ladestrom/-spannung: Gleichstrom 1000mA, 7,4V; Modell-Nr.: BP-SCL5, Hersteller: PT. VARTA Microbattery, Hergestellt in Indonesien, Betriebsbedingungen (in Kamera): 0°C bis +40°C

The M10-D and the M10 Monochrom. speak of 1100mAh: 

It needs a new M10-R camera to notice such a print mistake. 😀

Also the technical sheet M10-R still writes about the use of SD cards , which sound also a little bit shocking when I realize that I'm using 64GB cards for "ages"  . But in the factsheets of the M10 It's also written in a similar way. I think it must be print " copy / paste " mistakes also.  : 

SD-Karten bis 2GB / SDHC-Karten bis 32GB / SDXC-Karten bis 2TB.  

• Thanks 1

The original problem with vignetting (light falloff) and colour shift towards the corners when using wideangles designed for rangefinders was, if I remember correctly, solved in the M8. The solution was based on a design where microlenses nearer the edge of the sensor are shifted towards the center to allow for light rays coming in at a very small angle to "hit" the right pixel. It is quite possible that the more efficient use of sensor area for catching light in the M10-R makes it harder to implement this microlens design, consequently causing more vignetting. It would be interesting to know if there is also more inherent colour shift in the corners that is compensated for by in-camera software and thus not visible in the DNG?