Leica M10-R: Review by Jonathan Slack

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 21 Stunden schrieb farnz:

Battery capacity varies with temperature so if you draw current from a fully charged battery at, say 23C, it will last longer than if you draw current from the same at, say 0C.  This is quite normal because all a Li-Ion battery does is produce current from chemical reactions and the chemical reactions are more efficient at warmer temperatures than they at lower temperatures.

The milli-Ampere-hour (mAh) rating is an estimate of the battery's capacity, which will change with temperature and age.  So a (nominal) 1300 mAh battery will produce, say, 1300 mA for an hour at 7.4 Volts at 23C but it will only be able to produce 1300 mA at 7.4 Volts for, say, 50 minutes at 0C.  (The important thing is actually to keep the voltage as close to 7.4 Volts as possible because that's the bit that's likely to cause the camera to go to sleep but, thanks to Ohms Law, as the capacity decreases the internal resistance of the battery decreases and the voltage inevitably drops.)

The difference in capacity between 1100 and 1300 mAh is really not a lot in real terms so Leica might choose to rate a (1300 mAh @ 23C battery) as "1100 mAh" so that the photographer isn't disappointed when using it at 0C rather than rating it at a nominal "1300 mAh".  The marketing department would much rather it was called 1300 mAh, which is probably why there's a discrepancy between spec sheets. (Anyone still awake? :lol:)

Apologies for the lengthy and rather 'dry' reply.

Pete.

You have to explain it again to me in November Pete, if Covid doesn't spoil the occasion! Especially the marketing part.😘

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

As far as I’m aware the M10-R sensor is a cut down S3 sensor . . . 

Nicci posted (correctly) back in January that the S3 wafer was used for the M10 Monochrom and M10-R.  He further explained that Leica began realizing these economies of scale with the S007 sensor architecture, which was similarly shared with the M240.  I’m sure you have good insights to these matters, Jono, but I found the information very useful.

See posts 22, 26, 38 and 73....

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

vor einer Stunde schrieb jonoslack:

Well, I think it is !  Mind you - don’t you have an S3? As far as I’m aware the M10-R sensor is a cut down S3 sensor . . . 

The S3 was an impulse purchase just before the whole country went into lockdown here. The Leica online store in Germany happened to have one ready to ship right after it was introduced. I figured that if we would all be living in subsistence economies after Covid was over, I could always exchange it for a loaf of bread. 😂 

BTW, the S3 base ISO is 200, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Paulus said:

You have to explain it again to me in November Pete, if Covid doesn't spoil the occasion! Especially the marketing part.😘

I'm happy to of course, Paulus, but I think it will need to involve beer for both of us. ^_^

Pete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dear Jono,

After reading your review -again- I came to the conclusion that once you release articles with your tests and findings, there is no need to keep search for additional information on the topic. Most is noise. You are the best, full stop. (yes... maybe I have a sweet spot because your M9P recommendation last year) lol. Cheers!

• Thanks 2

Jono, we know that the M10-R shares the sensor architecture from the S3, but do you know if it also incorporates the S3’s new color array design, which is said to improve the red channel and skin tones?  Or is that just specific to the S3, given its more common professional studio use?  

I understand that we won’t realize the best colors from the M10-R until Adobe offers a profile, but I’m curious what Leica has used as a foundation.

Sorry for all the follow-up questions.  

Jeff

My understanding of the digital M is that Leica uses micro lenses to improve corner and edge performance. Wouldn't this custom design prove more difficult to implement at higher and higher megapixel counts in the sensor? And at what sensor size would this become impractical.

6 hours ago, Steve Ash said:

I think there is one important design element overlooked which might be utterly valuable to some. 

The M10-R can easily replace your M10 without your wife taking any notice at all. :)

Oops my M240 is silver and my ordered M10-R black but maybe she will just think it is my M7. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Given that there’s no IBIS in the M, I was hoping that Leica would use a Sony sensor which have the best high ISO performance, IMO, in the next M. But not having to mess up the rest of the colors while trying to fix the skin tones is a big plus. So far, I always used the calibration panel in LR and put the red slider at +10 or +15 in order to make the reds a bit more orange. This makes for better skin tones in the M10 files and also the SL2 files, I find. One doesn’t need to do this with the S3. If that’s also the case with the M10-R, that alone may be worth the upgrade. 

• Like 1

Folks with S3 exposure -- has Leica said if the chip in the S3 is finished just as in an M, with microlenses and all? And is the double-layer cover glass  used in the M10R -- one layer for IR reduction, one for UV reduction, totalling 0.9 mm in thickness -- also applied in the S3?