M10R

sillbeers15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some high executives from Leica called me just a few moments ago with details of the confirmed launch date and full features. Unfortunately, I can't share all this information with you guys. All I can say, it's that will be an insane game-changer camera only for Vloggers and Instagram Influencers. Can't say more

• Haha 9

52 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Some high executives from Leica called me just a few moments ago with details of the confirmed launch date and full features. Unfortunately, I can't share all this information with you guys. All I can say, it's that will be an insane game-changer camera only for Vloggers and Instagram Influencers. Can't say more

Dennis just violated his NDA so I guess I can confirm that the new M10R (R for Revolutionary) is a 8 MP GoPro killer that shoots bullet-time video at 2000 fps and has a swiveling lens mount so the user can take both selfies and normal photos while gripping the body with the left hand. To solve the problem of how to focus on your own face with a rangefinder, Leica engineers brilliantly realized that if they reduce the sensor size to only 3 mm x 2 mm and squeeze a fixed, precisely machined pinhole aperture between the flange and the shutter, everything is always within permanent hyperfocal range. Genius. The 8x crop factor means your wide-angle lenses are now perfect for selfies that capture every nose hair and facial pore. It is the perfect camera for our narcissistic world.

• Haha 7

31 minutes ago, bags27 said:

for M viewing and focusing... and size.

Exactly.. nothing substitutes for an M.  The experience is unique.  To which you replied that your M gives as much pleasure. So your M gives as much pleasure as other M’s?  

Jeff

8 hours ago, Boojay said:

Do you really think there is a possibility of M10R for the summer.  I seriously doubt it given the situation following/during Covid 19 and its effect on manufacturing and parts availability.

This for example:

https://leicarumors.com/2020/06/07/leica-m10-monochrom-availability.aspx/

It's a given that even without the current situation when Leica announces a new body it generally means months of waiting before it arrives on the shelves.  

I'm not feeling a Gas attack as such but having recently lost my M10 to the river and my insurance company deciding to re-imburse rather than replace, I'm looking at my spare M10 batteries, Vis 020, case etc and just wondering whether to replace now or wait a while. 

I saw that article on Leica Rumours as well, about the M10M. For what it's worth to you, Leica Australia, about two weeks ago, showed the M10M as "Back Order Now" but just recently, it's back "In Stock". Perhaps it was someone who returned their camera and they have one copy? Shrug.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I wouldn't mind to have M240 sized camera with dust reducing and even IBIS. If it will be without 4K video (cooling fan is needed behind sensor) it might be possible. Many are raving about how slim M10 is, but same doesn't seems to have problem to slap heavy and bulky lens on it.

I don't juggle lenses on my M-E, but even with new sensor, which has this dust repellent surface I have one sticky spot already.

My Canon 500D purchased in 2009 was cleaned only once and it have seen much more lens swapping. Dust reduction does work for sure. 

The only way to have current technology dust removal (and IBIS) with a reasonable thickness camera body is to extend the lens mount even further out front of the camera surface. I'm not sure how that might impact the rangefinder coupling, but it will impact it.

Just have a look at the sensor plane location in a Sony A7, Nikon Z or Canon RF. They're almost in the centre of the body. That indicates to me that the lens mount would have to be pushed out substantially; maybe 4 or 5mm. I'm not sure that's acceptable, and it would obviously change other parameters as well.

I also appreciate dust removal and IBIS, but I'm not sure that the other compromises are acceptable to me. I've been shooting Leica's for a very long time, and they aren't cameras that have to be or do everything for me, but they do have to be good rangefinder cameras. That includes a slim enough body and good ergonomics throughout (so on that basis they can get rid of that stupid bottom plate).

Edited by henning
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, henning said:

The only way to have current technology dust removal (and IBIS) with a reasonable thickness camera body is to extend the lens mount even further out front of the camera surface. I'm not sure how that might impact the rangefinder coupling, but it will impact it.

Just have a look at the sensor plane location in a Sony A7, Nikon Z or Canon RF. They're almost in the centre of the body. That indicates to me that the lens mount would have to be pushed out substantially; maybe 4 or 5mm. I'm not sure that's acceptable, and it would obviously change other parameters as well.

I also appreciate dust removal and IBIS, but I'm not sure that the other compromises are acceptable to me. I've been shooting Leica's for a very long time, and they aren't cameras that have to be or do everything for me, but they do have to be good rangefinder cameras. That includes a slim enough body and good ergonomics throughout (so on that basis they can get rid of that stupid bottom plate).

I have Olympus E-PL1. Slimmer than any digital M. It has dust reduction and IBIS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, GT2RS said:

I mean the damn Hasselblad X1D2 weighs less than M10-P and it's medium format.

Ah but Leica fills all M10-P's with special, heavy air, that's brewed in ancient caves far below sea level, to enhance the user experience.

Pete.

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, farnz said:

Ah but Leica fills all M10-P's with special, heavy air, that's brewed in ancient caves far below sea level, to enhance the user experience.

Pete.

I always had thought the heavy air was mined by Black Forest Gnomes (the same ones that spit on the sensor). You learn something new every day. Compared with my 35mm film Rolleiflex 3003 (just over 2kg with zoom lens), the M10 is a featherweight. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 7:27 AM, farnz said:

This thread is like watching children gazing at their wrapped presents under the tree on Christmas Eve as they wait for the time to glacially tick by until Christmas morning arrives!

Pete.

Good point, but it is the same with other forums that focus on a particular brand, i.e. Apple, Fuji-X, BMW etc.

I think it's great that we have forums of this sort to feel the community vibe and share information, experiences and preferences. Keep it coming!

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Edited by budjames
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

I agree. The simplistc M10 form factor and UI is very pleasing for a modern day 2020 digital camera. From what I can determine via the rumored M10-R photos posted, the M10 form factor remains the same.

Personally, for the M10-R, I am not interested in just more MPs, I am hoping CMOSIS/ STMicroelectronics were able to squeeze even more DR out of the "rumored" new 40MP M10-R sensor. For perhaps some indications of the M10-R sensor in the M10-M measurements here (scroll down to lab tests) https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/leica-m10-monochrom-review

"Despite 'only' packing a 40MP sensor, the M10 Monochrom manages to resolve an equal amount of fine detail to the current crop of 47MP cameras, and produces marginally clearer images at its maximum sensitivity." 👍

"The M10 Monochrom's dynamic range is good, mostly matching its Leica SL2 stablemate. However it's a little disappointing that dynamic range isn't even better given the camera's bias towards contrast over colour."

These are nice for our conversation here, but none of my clients or friends have ever questioned the dynamic range or resolution of my prints. Love all around.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 2

Breaking news, TSMC and Leica Mars signed MoU on next generation 1.5nm SharkFin features 3.2X logic density, ~60% speed improvement, and ~80% power reduction. TSMC set another industry record by launching two separate 1.5nm SharkFin tracks: one optimized for RangeFinder Camera Sensor, the other for 6G high performance signaling and integration stacks.  -- according to the source 

Edited by Erato

Am 28.6.2020 um 15:51 schrieb typ3656:

Does this larger sensor require more time for the camera to complete its long exposure noise reduction?

Why should it? The noise reduction is exactly the same time as the exposure time. This is the behaviour from M8 up to M10.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I have Olympus E-PL1. Slimmer than any digital M. It has dust reduction and IBIS.

Good luck getting any technical support, parts, or repair if something should go wrong. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you and any other Olympus users. 

16 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

How far in front of the back of the camera is the sensor plane? About halfway through the body. You have to read the whole post.

5 hours ago, Erato said:

Breaking news, TSMC and Leica Mars signed MoU on next generation 1.5nm SharkFin features 3.2X logic density, ~60% speed improvement, and ~80% power reduction. TSMC set another industry record by launching two separate 1.5nm SharkFin tracks: one optimized for RangeFinder Camera Sensor, the other for 6G high performance signaling and integration stacks.  -- according to the source 

😉

Sounds incredible to be approaching 3nm, but it wasn't so long ago when we were looking forward to 32nm - around the M9 era.