SF24D and M10R behaviour

darlesch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have noticed that when I use my SF24D with my MP, M11-P, the shutter release button triggers the flash instantaneously.

However, when I use the SF24D on my M10-R, there is noticeable shutter lag from when I press the shutter release button and the flash firing/curtains releasing. This is at flash sync speeds. I’ve tried A mode, M mode, TTL mode with the same result. I've tried 1st and 2nd curtain sync with the same result. When I turn the flash off / remove the flash, the shutter lag is gone. Is this normal?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 1:52 AM, darlesch said:

I have noticed that when I use my SF24D with my MP, M11-P, the shutter release button triggers the flash instantaneously.

However, when I use the SF24D on my M10-R, there is noticeable shutter lag from when I press the shutter release button and the flash firing/curtains releasing. This is at flash sync speeds. I’ve tried A mode, M mode, TTL mode with the same result. I've tried 1st and 2nd curtain sync with the same result. When I turn the flash off / remove the flash, the shutter lag is gone. Is this normal?

Thank you

Hello! You have a pre flash in TTL mode - sadly its very annoying when photographing people and action. It works a charm for me in A mode however. the only restriction in that you need to enter the aperture in the flash yourself, and the workable ISO range is reduced to 100-800, but it works fine!

Auto ISO seems to throw it off a bit. Stick to a manual ISO value of your choice at the pre-selected aperture value you have dialed in the flash and you will be fine. Its a revelation for me recently this combo.

On the SL2 it works flawlessly (but then again Auto ISO seems to bother it a bit)

Two additional things you may want to check-

is the firmware on both the M10-R and SF -24D at the latest available levels ?

With the SF-26 that I happily use (no lag) on my M10-R, Leica customer service was recently still able to supply the firmware despite the product being long gone from their sales catalog and the Leica download site.