M10r travelling

steve Amrose

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Knipsknecht said:

The Lux is the first FLE, the one before the newest one with the close focus abilities. The Cron is a little bit older. It’s aspherical but it has this plasticky hood, not the metal screw on hood that the latest models have.

Here are the version numbers:

35mm Summilux 11663

35mm Summicron 11879

Sorry, I have no kitchen scale to check the weight.

Thanks. Your picture clearly proves that there must be a mistake in the specs for the Summilux on our wiki pages. The difference is not that much but still it is not like the pre-ASPH versions of the Summicron 35 and Summilux 35 where they are almost exactly the same size.

The Summicron ASPH 35 is in the 'tiny' class while the Summilux ASPH 35 is borderline medium size like the Summicron 50 v4 as far as I can see. Tiny (just my name for it) is a lens that qualifies to be pocketed while mounted on the M in a winter coat pocket. I like to carry my Leica M9 like that, with a wrist strap to have it ready all the time, and with my hands free while it sits in the pocket. It makes a big difference compared to walking around with a camera dangling on a neck strap for hours. YMMV

• Like 1

Just for comparison. This is the Summilux 35 pre-ASPH next to my Summicron 35 v3.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I just spent a month touring NZ.  I got back 24 Jan 2024.  All you said was trip of a lifetime and as NZ is not very well populated (except for sheep at 5 to 1 over humans), I assume you will be spending time outside.  KISS is the principle I have found most useful.  Keep it light and simple.  Is the Summicron lighter than the Summilux?-probably.   Do you need the extra stop-probably not.  Remember you will be carrying everything and Leica is not known for making lightweight gear (which may be why they last so long).  I carried a Ricoh GR3  and it worked just fine.  Last year I spent a month in Vietnam in December, 2022 and took almost all the photos with my phone as it was monsoon season and the light sucked even though the Leica M4 was along in a waterproof bag.

The scenery in NZ is wonderful but I did not see anywhere more stunning than Alaska(I live in Anchorage) or the Sierras.  Most of the small towns were clones of one another, especially on the South Island) and they all offered adrenaline sports like bungee jumping, tandem skydiving, zip lining and helicopter sight seeing or hiking which seemed to be the main tourist industry. The sameness was actually disappointing.  I am glad the NZ dollar is only worth $.63 US as the food was expensive but incredibly bland.  A glass of wine was NZ$15.  I had heard that Australia was expensive but the Aussies on my tour were shocked at NZ prices, especially if you like to drink.  The highlights of my trip were Milford Sound, Hobbiton and sperm whale watching.

I remember reading years ago that NZ is more British than England and hell was a place where the cooks are English.  Both seem to apply to NZ.  Did you know that NZ is actually about 6-8 degrees further south than the Cape of Good Hope (southern tip of Africa)?  Support for science research in Antartica is based in Christchurch on the South Island and it is a beautiful small city.  Christchurch was more interesting than Auckland which at 1.25 million is the largest city.  75-80% of the five million people in NZ live on the North Island.

Have fun but don't overdo on the camera gear.  My travel kit is either a Leica with 35/90 which would be similar to the 35/75 you mention.  I also have a Fuji X-T5 with equivalent primes or a midrange zoom like you mention.  I would take the system you like using the most but not both.  Either will bring home the bacon so to speak and a small tripod may be worth packing.  I like using hiking staffs which allow for camera support like a monopod.

Edited by ktmrider2
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 2:33 PM, steve Amrose said:

Hello all , I am new here and have in the last 6 months bought an M10r a sumicron Apo 75mm f2 and sumicron 35mm f2. I am going on a trip of a lifetime to New Zealand so was asking should I take these or is there a different lens I should take. I am debating as I have a fuji xt4 with 16-55 zoom not sure what to do. And which would be more versatile. 

I just got back in December from a trip to NZ with a group of photogs, and my opinion, you need zoom lenses not primes on your trip. And I question whether your M10 is the right camera to take. Our group leader wanted us to bring 3 lenses, short zoom, mid range zoom and long zoom, which I did. My most used lens was a Sony 14-24, followed by a Sony 24-70. My 100-400 I ended up never using. I shot with my Sony A7RV usually on a tripod with an L-bracket that allowed me to flip the camera on its side after setting it up horizontally. I can't imagine having taken my M10 on this trip. Just my 2 cents.

If you're interested, here are pics. 

if you want a 21, dont take the summilux, take the super elmar, its much much sharper.

i have two 21lux and even the better one isnt optimal for landscape. i think its an amazing lens for streetphotography, also or especially wide open.

but its just not sharp enough for landscape imho

On 2/6/2024 at 2:33 PM, steve Amrose said:

Hello all , I am new here and have in the last 6 months bought an M10r a sumicron Apo 75mm f2 and sumicron 35mm f2. I am going on a trip of a lifetime to New Zealand so was asking should I take these or is there a different lens I should take. I am debating as I have a fuji xt4 with 16-55 zoom not sure what to do. And which would be more versatile. 

I’d definitely bring both cameras and a means to secure any of the equipment if you need to leave it in your room during an outing (room safe or Loctote bag). Keep your eyes on the bag/pack carrying them, better yet physical contact with same, while en route. 

I traveled to Venice in December with my M10-R, 50 Summilux 1.4, 28 Elmarit 2.8, 90 Summarit 2.5, and SL2 with 24-70 Vario-Elmarit, and a Sirui carbon fiber traveler tripod.
For my style of shooting having good coverage in the normal focal length is essential, to isolate subjects in portraits and stack formal elements in street and landscape.

If Leica made a Q with a 50 Summilux, especially weather-sealed, I’d leave ninety percent of the above equipment home on such trips. 

Edited by theseahawk

Brickftl,   The M10-R is weather sealed/resistent.  The mount and certainly the M lenses are not weather sealed.  I use the M10-R and M lenses in nearly all types of environments and never an issue.  I do wipe off the body and lenses should it be misty or light rain.  I do not use the set in heavy or prolonged downpours.  I use the SL system for really harsh wet environments.   r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

Brickftl,   The M10-R is weather sealed/resistent.  The mount and certainly the M lenses are not weather sealed.  I use the M10-R and M lenses in nearly all types of environments and never an issue.  I do wipe off the body and lenses should it be misty or light rain.  I do not use the set in heavy or prolonged downpours.  I use the SL system for really harsh wet environments.   r/ Mark

Ditto