M10r "stutters"

Harpomatic

On 9/22/2022 at 5:03 PM, OThomas said:

True. Is it brand new? Maybe a defect in the buffer/SD card output.

in any such case the sd card shouldnt play into that, for this issue only the internal buffer should be effected?

my M10M seems ok, just did a slow-mo video with the iphone to be sure, i made 10shots, long pause, 1 shot, long pause, 2 shot.....

will try my m10r tonight

Right, I have been to Leica Mayfair and told my woes regarding my new (to me) M10r.

It turns out that, to my disappointment, this is how the M10r behaves. I tried another two of them and they did the same thing.

So now I just have to decide: do I keep it and adapt or switch to the M10-P?

The reason to get the M10r for me was mainly highlight retention: I will use it professionally and I want that little more leeway in my exposures to ensure the quality of the deliverables.

On a cheerful note, I have to thank Maria, from the Leica Store, for letting me try the other cameras and then also offering to try the 50mm Noctilux, 75mm Noctilux, 35mm APO, 35mm FLE, M11…that was a good hour spent with a fellow photographer and Leica passionate!

Interesting enough, the M11 doesn’t seem to have a faster shot to shot speed than the M10r!

Anyway, thanks everyone for the contributions: I guess coming from a Leica M-P240 I was expecting too much of the M10r…or of Leica, for that matter!

I still think it’s unreasonable in 2020 to release a camera with that shot to shot performance. Just my opinion.

@Harpomatic, I read your post with some surprise. The test was correct, even though I can't understand the final result.
Last night I was at the Festival of lights and I used your application with my M10 R.
Again and again I pressed the shutter release several times, very quickly one after the other, sometimes 5-6 times, without any problems. No dropouts or waiting after the 2nd or 3rd to the 6th trip. I even had AWB, Auto ISO enabled, in A mode.
I can't understand why it happened to you and the cameras in the Leica Store.

7 hours ago, M Street Photographer said:

@Harpomatic, I read your post with some surprise. The test was correct, even though I can't understand the final result.
Last night I was at the Festival of lights and I used your application with my M10 R.
Again and again I pressed the shutter release several times, very quickly one after the other, sometimes 5-6 times, without any problems. No dropouts or waiting after the 2nd or 3rd to the 6th trip. I even had AWB, Auto ISO enabled, in A mode.
I can't understand why it happened to you and the cameras in the Leica Store.

I was very surprised indeed: I have no idea why this would be normal, and I agree that the behaviour is odd.

I will use the camera for a while and see if I’m happy with it. In the meantime I will contact Wetzlar and ask to talk to a technician to make sure I’m not seeing ghosts. I would definitely expect a slow but regular rhythm of shutter releases as you describe, not hesitant and irregular like what I have tried. 

Does anyone know if they let you talk to a technician at all in Wetzlar?

Thanks!

AFAIK the 10R was always a bit stretched in the computer resource department simply because Leica shoehorned a higher performance sensor into the M10/P platform and made no other changes. I believe this was done to prevent the need for subsequent type approval to bring the model to market (ie same chipset = carry over type approval from M10 24px platform)

(IMHO UHS-II card support probably should’ve been on the original 10, let alone the R)

The geek in me wonders just how much sample variation there is in shot to shot times on 10Rs and how much sample variation there is in shot to shot time tolerance in 10R owners!

(That’s not a dig, it’s like the wristwatch community, some describe a watch with +/- 10 sec a day as ‘very accurate’ while others would be straight down to their watchmaker to get it adjusted)

• Like 1

I had my first stutter in ten months while shooting quickly in single shot mode on my 10-R black paint yesterday, though my finger did land at a slightly weird angle on the release at the beginning of the sequence. Looked at the battery level afterward and it was at 20%. Perhaps this might be a factor? I know a lot of dealer demo cameras tend to be running on fumes. @Harpomatic have you checked batter levels?

On 10/11/2022 at 1:37 PM, Harpomatic said:

I guess coming from a Leica M-P240 I was expecting too much of the M10r…or of Leica, for that matter!

I still think it’s unreasonable in 2020 to release a camera with that shot to shot performance.

One should not expect a Canon 1DX shot to shot performance from a small camera company's product, regardless of the price. But also, M10-R should not behave like this, as I already wrote.
YET I am 100% certain that the jump from your M-P240 to M10-R was actually a quantum leap within the Leica universe for many reasons I have listed here in the forum several times...
M10-R for me was the pinnacle of Leica M cameras when I did the same jump from Typ240, right up until the M11 came... but I still have not bought into the eleven. No need. In fact, I got a M10-P instead, on top of my 15-month-old M10-R with 43K actuations.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2022 at 10:05 AM, Adam Bonn said:

how much sample variation there is in shot to shot time tolerance in 10R owners!

That is a really interesting theory! 🤣

On 10/12/2022 at 2:53 PM, charlesphoto99 said:

have you checked batter levels?

I have always tested at full battery or almost full, three different batteries!

On 10/16/2022 at 10:35 PM, Al Brown said:

the jump from your M-P240 to M10-R was actually a quantum leap within the Leica universe

Can you elaborate a little?

For me the main jump is a smaller body and better highlight retention at the cost of much less battery capacity!

I’m not too fussed about 40mp vs 24mp, which is plenty, but I chose the M10r vs M10P because of the lower risk of burnt highlights for professional work. That exposure 1/3 or 2/3 too hot is still recoverable where with the 24mp sensor it might not be (wedding dress etc).

Thanks for the contributions!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harpomatic said:

That is a really interesting theory! 🤣

I have always tested at full battery or almost full, three different batteries!

Can you elaborate a little?

For me the main jump is a smaller body and better highlight retention at the cost of much less battery capacity!

I’m not too fussed about 40mp vs 24mp, which is plenty, but I chose the M10r vs M10P because of the lower risk of burnt highlights for professional work. That exposure 1/3 or 2/3 too hot is still recoverable where with the 24mp sensor it might not be (wedding dress etc).

Thanks for the contributions!

Megapixels are mostly irrelevant here, but they were a huge marketing point for many buyers.
For me, the mentioned "leap" from my previous 2013 M240 camera to a 2021 M10-R camera was a bigger OVF, much better menu and UX/UI, less button clutter, thinner body, overall stability, bigger buffer (I had the M240, no P, which got stuffed with 7 DNG raws in C mode) and most importantly - much better highlight handling and no horrible green cast in recovered shadows.
I can confidently say M10 (and its iterations) is the first proper digital M where virtually all the boxes have been ticked. The first digital M where Leica finally "did it". It took about 10 years and several models (M8, M8.2, M9, M240...), all special in a way but all with certain shortcomings, until M10 finally came in 2017. Maybe the syntagm "quantum leap" is overkill, but it surely did feel like it. M11 is another quantum leap, for comparison.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:18 PM, Al Brown said:

Megapixels are mostly irrelevant here, but they were a huge marketing point for many buyers.
For me, the mentioned "leap" from my previous 2013 M240 camera to a 2021 M10-R camera was a bigger OVF, much better menu and UX/UI, less button clutter, thinner body, overall stability, bigger buffer (I had the M240, no P, which got stuffed with 7 DNG raws in C mode) and most importantly - much better highlight handling and no horrible green cast in recovered shadows.
I can confidently say M10 (and its iterations) is the first proper digital M where virtually all the boxes have been ticked. The first digital M where Leica finally "did it". It took about 10 years and several models (M8, M8.2, M9, M240...), all special in a way but all with certain shortcomings, until M10 finally came in 2017. Maybe the syntagm "quantum leap" is overkill, but it surely did feel like it. M11 is another quantum leap, for comparison.

You make a lot of good points. The button layout, with less clutter, is so much better. The horrible green cast is definitely something I don’t miss at all!

Regarding the stability I’m not sure it’s there, the camera stopped responding once or twice, had to switch it off and on again. Would that happen to you?

I am so looking forward to enjoying this camera. Let’s see if it works for me!

Thanks

Right,

I have finally spoken to a Leica technician:

my M10r is perfectly healthy.

He said that this erratic shooting in single mode is due to, possibly, the electronics not registering the shutter button press while the shutter is cycling, making this not  smooth and irregular in response when the shutter is pressed too quickly repeatedly.

Regarding the hesitancy between the first and second shot found in single shot and fast continuous modes, that seems to be because the camera is still trying to get a meter reading off the shutter blades and not releasing them till it's done.

I hope this helps you like it helped me understanding this camera better.

A workaround I found for the slowness is to select continuous slow mode: no hesitancy between first and second shot, easy to fire one shot at a time, I just keep it pressed for slightly longer to take two shots (rarely three) in succession. Also, the buffer seems to be keeping up quite well when shooting a very dynamic scene ad firing off quite a few frames in short bursts of 1-2 shots for 5-6 seconds or more. This is making the camera a lot more usable for me.

I'm off to Cuba next weekend for scouting locations and then leading a street/travel photography workshop with my colleague: my M10r will be my companion with a Nokton 50mm 1.5 II (my favourite 50mm still) and an Ultron 20mm ASPH II. I have an Apo-Lanthar 90mm 3.5 with a +3 diopter for detail shots if needed, but it will mostly stay in the bag.

I will post a few images when back.

Again, a big thank you to everyone for chipping in!

I really appreciate it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, M Street Photographer said:

@Harpomatic, I am very pleased that your personal conversation with Leica has now brought an explanation that I was not aware of either.
I wish you lots of fun and success in Cuba and am already looking forward to your photos.

Thank you! I’m so looking forward to my time in Cuba. And having the Leica M will make it a lot better. I went a while without one and I sorely missed it!

I’ve had mine a year. I don’t know. I’ve never had issues. I get all my shots. I’m in continuous low all the time. I do 2 or 3 shots in a row usually. It works as I expected it to. 

I had an XPro3 before that. It did I don’t know how many per second to be honest. I know I had to lower it in the settings to 5 per second. But I used it the same way. 2 or 3 in a row. I don’t notice any difference. I’ve never missed a shot. 

edit: I just read about the continuous low mode that you wrote. That’s probably why I never had the issue. I always slow down every camera I had so I automatically did the same when I moved to Leica. 

Edited by Chimichurri