Image quality comparison between Hasselblad X1D II and Leica SL2

biswasg

3 hours ago, setuporg said:

I'm considering treating too many systems as a blessing.  Have each in a photo bag ready to go and rotate often.  Walk them often, give them air!  Nothing to kick yourself for.

You must have a team of servants carrying your gear for you then.

You can't pinpoint blown highlights to user error, as then you can say the same about high ISO and DR characteristics of cameras with smaller sensors (ie 1-inch, MFT, or APS-C)

There's a reason why we pay a penalty (in price, size, features) for cameras with larger sensors. Dynamic range is obviously an inherent feature of each sensor size.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

You can't pinpoint blown highlights to user error, as then you can say the same about high ISO and DR characteristics of cameras with smaller sensors (ie 1-inch, MFT, or APS-C)

There's a reason why we pay a penalty (in price, size, features) for cameras with larger sensors. Dynamic range is obviously an inherent feature of each sensor size.

Sure you can... learn to live within the limits of the respective gear, or choose something else.  User control. 

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

Sure you can... learn to live within the limits of the respective gear, or choose something else.  User control. 

Jeff

Not when setuporg was clearly comparing 2 systems and making an observation. You called him out on that as user error, which is false.

10 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

Not when setuporg was clearly comparing 2 systems and making an observation. You called him out on that as user error, which is false.

I did... regarding blown highlights.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I will finish your work.

the X1D has better ergonomics ---> user error, hold camera better
the X1D has deeper tones/colors ---> user error, take a adobe course
the X1D has better flash options ---> user error, find better ambient light
the X1D is smaller/lighter ---> user error, hit the gym, lift weights

I like where this thread is heading.

I readily admit I get more blown highlights with Leica M, Q2 and SL2 than with other systems, with equal level of not correcting EV.  Perhaps I should be more adept at making Leica FFs underexpose, by locking the exposure on something bright and other tricks, but the reality of this comparison is that X1D does it better, and so does S.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

I will finish your work.

the X1D has better ergonomics ---> user error, hold camera better
the X1D has deeper tones/colors ---> user error, take a adobe course
the X1D has better flash options ---> user error, find better ambient light
the X1D is smaller/lighter ---> user error, hit the gym, lift weights

I like where this thread is heading.

The only related one is colors.  Profile and done. Rest are hardware related... your work, not mine.

Jeff

45 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

You must have a team of servants carrying your gear for you then.

I found that the complete S system now poses that challenge, so indeed I'd love to have sherpas and assistants carrying it for me.  I got a MindShift backpack and a Compagnon case to accommodate as many lenses as possible, and I've gotten used to carrying a Hadley Pro case with 5-6 kg of S/X1D stuff easily, so now my weight tolerance is much higher.  Still feels like the right approach is traveling by car loaded with preferable gear.  Perhaps outfit an RV with a proper shelving, but that would have to wait decades...  Wonderful but large S gear, followed by large XCD, and then SL gear, is an interesting challenge.  Going back to M seems a solution but OTOH, even two lenses with the S could make a huge difference.  My recent trip to Tahoe was with the SL2 and its primes and a zoom, in one Hadley Pro, and the S with two lenses and an M-P in another Hadley Pro.  At that point you pick a Hadley and operate within the limits of it.  Each Hadley gets at least a day of use to exercise it.

31 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Good point.  I was going to do CL with the 35 Summicron-TL vs. Hasselblad with the XCD 80/1.9 because these two lenses exhibit in many ways a common design signature but may use the TL2 with the Leica lens instead. 

I love the Summilux-TL 35mm but under certain conditions it will display an awful lot of purple fringing.  Are you implying that the Summilux-TL 35mm and the Hasselblad XCD 80mm might come from the same source?  My understanding has always been that the TL 35mm (and the TL 60mm) were designed and made in Germany contrary to the other TL lenses which are made in Japan.

Edited by Guest