Image quality comparison between Hasselblad X1D II and Leica SL2

biswasg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, kidigital said:

It's really a nice lens. It will be my everyday lens with the camera when it arrives. Fast, compact, sharp, quick focusing, 'inexpensive' and really quiet. I'm thinking that it has to be a razor/razor blade attempt to draw more users into the system. 

I think so too. I will stay with the original, which  for my use is plenty good already 

I was thinking I would get the 135mm (with converter) next, and perhaps the 30mm, but the size, price and apparent performance of the 45P has made me rethink. Having a compact walk about lens like this is too good to miss.  

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

Big applaud to Hasselblad for this lens. Sigma 45mm L mount is similar in a way to SL system to me. I fully appreciate its offer and can understand why X1Dx users are happy or proud of it.

I think everyone get it but not Leica, at least not yet. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

Big applaud to Hasselblad for this lens. Sigma 45mm L mount is similar in a way to SL system to me. I fully appreciate its offer and can understand why X1Dx users are happy or proud of it.

I think everyone get it but not Leica, at least not yet. 

Personally, I think that there's a nice unexplored area of the market between full-frame and these larger sensor systems. And it goes beyond the photographers who like to use medium format for studio or tripod use exclusively. Lightweight, compact lenses combined with larger sensors mean that the systems can be used in a broader range of scenarios. Fuji and Hasselblad seem willing to explore the possibilities. As someone who likes to push the boundaries, I relish the option. While I've loved the images from my S system, taking it to the street or on long hikes is/was not its forte. At this point, with Leica's neglect of the larger sensor category, the cost of the 45P is less than what an S system camera or lens will depreciate in a year at this rate.  

Edited by kidigital
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, kidigital said:

Personally, I think that there's a nice unexplored area of the market between full-frame and these larger sensor systems. And it goes beyond the photographers who like to use medium format for studio or tripod use exclusively. Lightweight, compact lenses combined with larger sensors mean that the systems can be used in a broader range of scenarios. Fuji and Hasselblad seem willing to explore the possibilities. As someone who likes to push the boundaries, I relish the option. While I've loved the images from my S system, taking it to the street or on long hikes is/was not its forte. At this point, with Leica's neglect of the larger sensor category, the cost of the 45P is less than what an S system camera or lens will depreciate in a year at this rate.  

I am with you. I am planning my next trip. Even I love S system, unfortunately, I will leave it home. 

It is funny people still struggle themselves to look for minor CA or last pixel but forget what are the tools for.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

I am with you. I am planning my next trip. Even I love S system, unfortunately, I will leave it home. 

It is funny people still struggle themselves to look for minor CA or last pixel but forget what are the tools for.  

The S system has stellar lenses. I have loved using them. Sadly though, my S system is a white elephant at the moment gathering dust since it suffered sensor corrosion. After the expense of acquiring pieces of the system over the years, I'm not keen on spending any more money on a sensor replacement when I'm not certain whether there's a future roadmap for the system. The whole experience has been bittersweet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kidigital said:

The S system has stellar lenses. I have loved using them. Sadly though, my S system is a white elephant at the moment gathering dust since it suffered sensor corrosion. After the expense of acquiring pieces of the system over the years, I'm not keen on spending any more money on a sensor replacement when I'm not certain whether there's a future roadmap for the system. The whole experience has been bittersweet.

Fully understand. I guess every S user has very similar feeling. The system is still lovable. Maybe wait for upgrade program for S3 or just let your S body die down naturally and sold out S glasses at loss. I can't, I am too deep into it and I do still enjoy it when it works. SL2 do give S glasses new life. Leica manage to find way to drag you deep in the hole. 

No matter what, M is anchor piece in my setup. In that sense, I am very loyal. 

To be fair though - I don't think Leica ever intended the S system to be a walk around camera. Both Hasselblad and Fuji have nailed the 'in between' sensor size market with more compact offerings - I think the only missing element in the 50MP designs is IBIS. I must say I am tempted to add a used XID with one of these small 45's as a walk around kit - always loved the form factor if not the clunkiness - better than the Fuji 50R imo. A used XID is now cheaper than a previous model Leica M body.

The new XCD 45 provides a terrific option for the system. Kudos to Hasselblad.  I wonder if this will be a one-off or if this is the start of some more lower priced, quieter, mechanical focusing (no focus by wire), albeit possibly slower lenses.  While many seem to waiting for the long anticipated zoom, this was a pleasant surprise in the opposite direction.  I wish Leica would do something similar for the SL native lens line, not just rely on other alliance offerings.

Jeff

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PeterGA said:

To be fair though - I don't think Leica ever intended the S system to be a walk around camera. Both Hasselblad and Fuji have nailed the 'in between' sensor size market with more compact offerings - I think the only missing element in the 50MP designs is IBIS. I must say I am tempted to add a used XID with one of these small 45's as a walk around kit - always loved the form factor if not the clunkiness - better than the Fuji 50R imo. A used XID is now cheaper than a previous model Leica M body.

It’s weather sealed ...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PeterGA said:

What about SL then?

Then,  S line has been frozen for at least 5 years. I don't expect any wonders coming any more anyway. It(small lens) might be my least worry about the system.  

1 minute ago, ZHNL said:

What about SL then?

Then,  S line has been frozen for at least 5 years. I don't expect any wonders coming any more anyway. It(small lens) might be my least worry about the system.  

The SL is lighter though and smaller and so are the primes (now coming out) -still one person's heavy is another person's 'no problem' - I used to walk around with a IDX all day and not feel it - everything changes with age...good reason for the popularity of Leica M and CL  etc

4 hours ago, kidigital said:

Great point about the rolling shutter. Since I typically use focus and recompose as an M shooter, I just paused for an extra second before pushing shutter and had no issues. While it's not optimized for M use like the SL2, in the right conditions the vignetting adds nicely to the photo ... it that's what you are after.

Don't you mean pause after pushing shutter?

When you do not want vignette, the Fuji GFX 50 cameras have settings to use only part of the sensor area. For example, the 7:6 ratio setting uses 7232 by 6192 pixels of the 8256 by 6192 sensor. This is raw data, not a crop for the camera JPG. It is a larger area than a (35mm) full-frame portion of the sensor, which Fuji also offers at 8256 by 5504 pixels. If the X1D ii does not have the same choices, Hasselblad should do a simple firmware change.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterGA said:

The SL is lighter though and smaller and so are the primes (now coming out) -still one person's heavy is another person's 'no problem' - I used to walk around with a IDX all day and not feel it - everything changes with age...good reason for the popularity of Leica M and CL  etc

Can't argue with personal preference as always. I don't think it is as simple as age. It is also about purpose, user experience etc... 

However, no matter what, I won't call 700g a piece is light neither those prime are small. Smaller than SL zoom and lux SL, maybe. 

I might be minority, but what is the user case for F1.4, f2 sharp to extreme corner? night star? or on paper bragging right? I'd way prefer trade that up with lighter, smaller, cheaper lens with better bokeh... which is this sigma give me, so are most M glasses offered. 

I dont know start from when, Leica users suddenly become so insensitive to size and weight. As mentioned, I am a very loyal M user, so my perspective might be different. 

13 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

Can't argue with personal preference as always. I don't think it is as simple as age. It is also about purpose, user experience etc... 

However, no matter what, I won't call 700g a piece is light neither those prime are small. Smaller than SL zoom and lux SL, maybe. 

I might be minority, but what is the user case for F1.4, f2 sharp to extreme corner? night star? or on paper bragging right? I'd way prefer trade that up with lighter, smaller, cheaper lens with better bokeh... which is this sigma give me, so are most M glasses offered. 

I dont know start from when, Leica users suddenly become so insensitive to size and weight. As mentioned, I am a very loyal M user, so my perspective might be different. 

I don't believe that lenses make great photographs and I don't see any great differences between most manufacturers lenses at equivalent apertures - but I do 'feel' the difference in hand and that makes for a better shooting experience and therefore (maybe) more likely to want to go out and make photos. For some paid work - I use Fuji GFX100 - not a camera I particularly like walking around with though - it does the job. The SL is fun and a pleasure to use and I think the new summicrons give me the roll off at F2 that M lux lenses used to give me wide open - but with the amenity of autofocus. I also prefer the WYISIWYG of a good EVF when I need it.

It is good to have choices there is (for me) no 'perfect one camera for all occasions and needs - forced to choose it would be the SL/SL2 and a mix of lenses. Now that the primes are coming out - I am happy to say goodbye to all the zooms - good as they are, fantastic really...but too big for me.

Edited by PeterGA
  • Like 2