Have you placed order on SL2?

m9photo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 1 Stunde schrieb vikasmg:

As you see from the message was above, permission sought and was not denied today  🙂.  Fortunately she didn’t even say it’s a a Christmas present and then ask me to put it in cold storage till then.  That happened once before.  I think the tuna sandwiches and scones helped 😁

I remember.  I believe it was the M10.  You must have really suffered 😢.  😂 Very considerate of your wife because the thing with the SL2 is that it takes the DR in the FF game to a whole new level.  True to his style, Jono is very diplomatic in his comments about the SL2's IQ which does not surprise me.  What I find a bit astounding, though, is that none of the other reviewers make any reference to the quality of the SL2 files.  None with the exception of one photographer where I would have expected it the least, Steve McCurry.  From the interview with him on the Leica website:

What makes the Leica SL2 so special? Why would you recommend the camera?

SteveMcCurry: I tried many cameras and decided to adopt the SL system for several reasons that were immediately evident. First of all, the image quality. It’s unbelievable; I’ve never seen anything comparable. [Yeah, right. 😂]...but personally testing the files allowed me to understand its full potential.  

At first I thought this is a level of marketing talk not befitting such a great photographer.  But he's absolutely right.  The DR range the files give you is amazing. 

Edit - no, it was the CL!

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

I remember.  I believe it was the M10.  You must have really suffered 😢.  😂 Very considerate of your wife because the thing with the SL2 is that it takes the DR in the FF game to a whole new level.  True to his style, Jono is very diplomatic in his comments about the SL2's IQ which does not surprise me.  What I find a bit astounding, though, is that none of the other reviewers make any reference to the quality of the SL2 files.  None with the exception of one photographer where I would have expected it the least, Steve McCurry.  From the interview with him on the Leica website:

What makes the Leica SL2 so special? Why would you recommend the camera?

SteveMcCurry: I tried many cameras and decided to adopt the SL system for several reasons that were immediately evident. First of all, the image quality. It’s unbelievable; I’ve never seen anything comparable. [Yeah, right. 😂]...but personally testing the files allowed me to understand its full potential.  

At first I thought this is a level of marketing talk not befitting such a great photographer.  But he's absolutely right.  The DR range the files give you is amazing. 

Edit - no, it was the CL!

Good Memory.  Yes it was the CL :-).  I’m now trying to get my wife to ‘adopt’ that CL.  She is not good with technology but she is a better photographer than she acknowledges - specially of people.  She had much more empathy for people than me and that makes a difference.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, MarkP said:

I should have expanded the post.

That morning I was instructed by my wife to go and order the SL2

I love my wife 😍

So nice to see a loving husband be so accommodating to his wife's every wish! No doubt your marriage is quite healthy. 

Next week, to keep nurturing your special bonds, I suspect that you may be instructed to go to the jewelry store ? :)

• Haha 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb vikasmg:

Good Memory.  Yes it was the CL :-).  I’m now trying to get my wife to ‘adopt’ that CL.  She is not good with technology but she is a better photographer than she acknowledges - specially of people.  She had much more empathy for people than me and that makes a difference.

Tell her that she’ll have the better camera. 😁 

But joking aside, if you get a chance, compare the files.  You’ll see that both can be pushed around without any issues.  Both cameras, the CL and the SL2, use FSI sensors and the IQ in terms of low light performance and DR is amazing.  I will compare the SL2 files to the α7R III, Z7, and S1, all of which use BSI sensors.  The quality of the SL2 files have made me realize that the FSI/BSI sensor debate is a moot point.  Leica for some reason prefers FSI sensors, unlike Sony and Nikon.  I would really love to know what their engineers know about the advantages of using the FSI sensor that is found in the Q2, S1R, and now in the SL2.  It supposedly uses aspherical microlenses, a 'waveguide' to direct light into the pixel and deep photodiodes to capture light more efficiently rather than the BSI approach which puts the photosensitive area nearer the chip surface.  When I first saw the results with the Q2 and the S1R, I thought it was a bit lame-o, sort of a poor man’s high MPx FF sensor. 😂  Now I’m in a state of utter disbelieve over how good the files of the SL2 are in low light.

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ropo54 said:

So nice to see a loving husband be so accommodating to his wife's every wish! No doubt your marriage is quite healthy. 

Next week, to keep nurturing your special bonds, I suspect that you may be instructed to go to the jewelry store ? :)

No. I was present and witnessed it. Indeed a loveingly couple. Great story to tell.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MarkP said:

I should have expanded the post.

That morning I was instructed by my wife to go and order the SL2

I love my wife 😍

My wife did not instruct me, but simply asked "when are you getting it."?   She has never in more than 52 years of marriage complained in the least about any camera or lens purchases.  She always says, 'You work hard; enjoy it and take some nice pictures."  

If, however, I want to buy a new bag, that is a different matter - "Another bag? You have a closet full of bags . . . " 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, ropo54 said:

I used to do ultra-long distance cycling, and whenever I bought a new bike I made sure to buy my wife a piece of jewelry in the same color. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, michali said:

IMO for general still photography with M lenses, the SL601 is worth buying. I'm sure that there will be bargains available as people trade in for the SL2. The SL's simplicity makes it enjoyable and a pleasure to use, its IQ is still excellent and is no worse than it was prior to the release of the SL2. 

In general I agree with this. The biggest reason I see to opt for a SL2 instead would be IBIS which would benefit M lenses. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, michali said:

IMO for general still photography with M lenses, the SL601 is worth buying. I'm sure that there will be bargains available as people trade in for the SL2. The SL's simplicity makes it enjoyable and a pleasure to use, its IQ is still excellent and is no worse than it was prior to the release of the SL2. 

This makes sense to me. 

• Thanks 1

The EVF is extremely attractive. The stabilization is a definite plus. The 47 mps is a mixed blessing. The weight is an albatross. 

I'm going to use the 11-23 and 55-135 TLs as lightweight zooms; otherwise M and R lenses. Sort of making a heavier, EVF M body work for me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jaapv said:

In that case you could just as well use a CL... 🙄

But, as he implied, with lesser EVF, no IBIS and no ability to achieve 47MP with his M and R lenses.  Worse sealed body, too.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

And still too heavy for a lot of people here. There’s some paradox in that, some M users getting older want something easier to focus than a rangefinder, so the AF and the EVF of the SL or 2 seduces them. And then they discover that deterioration of your eyes goes hand in hand with the capability or the willingness to carry weight. 

• Like 3

Not only that, but in real life camera size, or if you will, presence, makes a difference in the recording of subjects. It used to be one of the advantages of M cameras that they did not scream "professional", which the SL as opposed to the CL does.

• Like 3