Have you placed order on SL2?

m9photo

My usual supplier (not a main Leica dealer) has been told he will get 3 a couple of days after the official dispatch date ...... which is considerably more generous than before where they received just one or even zero in the initial shipment. There also seems to be no lack of demo copies and they have been more generous than usual with review cameras. I suspect they will be a bit more plentiful than previous camera/lens releases. Leica definitely favour their main self-owned dealerships over the boutiques and general dealers when stock is in low supply, so this bodes well for an early xmas present for many of us .... :)

Edited by thighslapper

Hmmm, if the US pipeline isn't flowing fast enough I could try flying to Frankfurt,  nabbing one, and taking the next plane home (or maybe spending a night in Wetzlar...).  The flight time would be about the time it takes to read the manual.  And the savings on VAT would pay for the flight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 8 Minuten schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

Hmmm, if the US pipeline isn't flowing fast enough I could try flying to Frankfurt,  nabbing one, and taking the next plane home (or maybe spending a night in Wetzlar...).  The flight time would be about the time it takes to read the manual.  And the savings on VAT would pay for the flight.

Could be well worth it, not because of the way the camera feels and looks but because of the files.

Without seeing more reviews, the choice for stills shooters, relative to the S1R, seems to be:

* For the SL2: better compatibility (and so workflow) with M lenses; subjective feel / shooting experience?.  

* Against: cost, lack of foldable rear screen, lack of (TTL) compatibility with flash systems such as the Godox range.

The jury is still out on focusing capability, and will remain so for a while, as Panasonic is about to release new firmware for the S1R.

Although the two cameras have the same underlying sensor, it seems, the colour filters and cover glass layers over it, at least, are different.  What difference this makes, other than M lens edge performance, remains to be seen.

(Relative to the S1, both gain Mpx, IBIS and EVF, but lose GPS, to gain Bluetooth, and so, supposedly better connectivity to your phone, although I haven't found the S1R to be completely fiddle-free, when working with a phone.)

It may be worth fleshing out this list, if I have missed anything, and as experience of production bodies emerges.

1 hour ago, jrp said:

Without seeing more reviews, the choice for stills shooters, relative to the S1R, seems to be:

* For the SL2: better compatibility (and so workflow) with M lenses; subjective feel / shooting experience?.  

* Against: cost, lack of foldable rear screen, lack of (TTL) compatibility with flash systems such as the Godox range.

The jury is still out on focusing capability, and will remain so for a while, as Panasonic is about to release new firmware for the S1R.

Although the two cameras have the same underlying sensor, it seems, the colour filters and cover glass layers over it, at least, are different.  What difference this makes, other than M lens edge performance, remains to be seen.

(Relative to the S1, both gain Mpx, IBIS and EVF, but lose GPS, to gain Bluetooth, and so, supposedly better connectivity to your phone, although I haven't found the S1R to be completely fiddle-free, when working with a phone.)

It may be worth fleshing out this list, if I have missed anything, and as experience of production bodies emerges.

Don't forget the significantly beefier Lumix batteries. (1860 vs 3100 mAh) I don't see how the SL2 would focus any faster given that both likely use the same DFD technology.

But yeah, it's probably not worth switching for S1R owners unless they really like how the SL2 looks or handles.

I had not spotted that.

But it’s not just a matter of switching, it’s also a matter of “is it worth upgrading and to what?”. 
For me, IBIS is a worthwhile upgrade. But compatibility with my M lenses v a range of other features, such as better AF, makes it hard to be loyal.

1 hour ago, Raid Amin said:

Uncertain on what to do. Is the SL2 really worth $2500-$3000 more than a mint SL for general still photography with M lenses?

I would not buy an SL period.

If you want the best tech currently available (other than an M) for M glass, the SL2 is it.

If you didn't care about M glass... and only needed 24 mp... the Panasonic S1 is better than an SL in every way. I have one.

Edited by Donzo98

15 hours ago, thighslapper said:

My usual supplier (not a main Leica dealer) has been told he will get 3 a couple of days after the official dispatch date ...... which is considerably more generous than before where they received just one or even zero in the initial shipment. There also seems to be no lack of demo copies and they have been more generous than usual with review cameras. I suspect they will be a bit more plentiful than previous camera/lens releases. Leica definitely favour their main self-owned dealerships over the boutiques and general dealers when stock is in low supply, so this bodes well for an early xmas present for many of us .... :)

Leica’s practice in the past is to collect the demo sets used in press reviews and send them back to factory for checks and recondition if required. These units will usually be offered to the regular customers sometime after the initial launch backlogs on a 10% discount & full warranty. I was offered once for a M10QM set. Without a doubt, I grabbed it.

1 hour ago, sillbeers15 said:

Leica’s practice in the past is to collect the demo sets used in press reviews and send them back to factory for checks and recondition if required. These units will usually be offered to the regular customers sometime after the initial launch backlogs on a 10% discount & full warranty. I was offered once for a M10QM set. Without a doubt, I grabbed it.

Do all dealers have access to the reconditioned demos?  Any ideas on how to request for one? Or are they just reserved for certain customers?

vor 13 Stunden schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

Take care! „Greta“ is watching you...😉

9 hours ago, Raid Amin said:

Uncertain on what to do. Is the SL2 really worth $2500-$3000 more than a mint SL for general still photography with M lenses?

IMO for general still photography with M lenses, the SL601 is worth buying. I'm sure that there will be bargains available as people trade in for the SL2. The SL's simplicity makes it enjoyable and a pleasure to use, its IQ is still excellent and is no worse than it was prior to the release of the SL2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ordered mine at the Leica Store today.  But it was not this man’s fault 🙂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

5 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

As you see from the message was above, permission sought and was not denied today  🙂.  Fortunately she didn’t even say it’s a a Christmas present and then ask me to put it in cold storage till then.  That happened once before.  I think the tuna sandwiches and scones helped 😁

Edited by vikasmg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3