Have you placed order on SL2?

m9photo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

NO, but not due to a lack of desire.

As it stands, I can get (or at least get in line) for a SL2 or get the SL 35 (which I am waiting for) to use with my SL1. I do not at this time, have funds for both.  Even though I have a large number of Leica M and R lenses and I believe that the SL2 is a real gem, I am going to stay focused on getting the SL 35.  After 30+ years with Leica, I have always placed an emphasis on glass over body.  I believe that the lifespan of glass is so much longer and it takes me years to perfect my best use of it.  I do want (desire) a SL2, I will just have to wait for now.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Danno_photoguy said:

NO, but not due to a lack of desire.

As it stands, I can get (or at least get in line) for a SL2 or get the SL 35 (which I am waiting for) to use with my SL1. I do not at this time, have funds for both.  Even though I have a large number of Leica M and R lenses and I believe that the SL2 is a real gem, I am going to stay focused on getting the SL 35.  After 30+ years with Leica, I have always placed an emphasis on glass over body.  I believe that the lifespan of glass is so much longer and it takes me years to perfect my best use of it.  I do want (desire) a SL2, I will just have to wait for now.   

As you are in the US, the only counterpoint I might offer is that if trade relationships improve (some positive signals today, at least with China), perhaps the imminent tariffs on Leica lenses could be discontinued.  As it stands, I was told that price increases for the SL 35 and SL 50 go into effect tomorrow.  

Otherwise, my priorities would mirror yours.  Strange times.

Jeff

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

As you are in the US, the only counterpoint I might offer is that if trade relationships improve (some positive signals today, at least with China), perhaps the imminent tariffs on Leica lenses could be discontinued.  As it stands, I was told that price increases for the SL 35 and SL 50 go into effect tomorrow.  

Otherwise, my priorities would mirror yours.  Strange times.

Jeff

That is a good point to consider Jeff.  We will see.

Not rushing into an SL2. I'll wait for 6 to 8 months or so and see how I feel.

My existing set up of the SL 601 and CL is giving me everything I need right now for my wildlife work.  Just back from a safari in Botswana and both cameras performed flawlessly. Especially the CL with the VE 90-280mm L: the image below was taken on a completely overcast early evening, after sunset at 6 400 ISO.  Given the lighting conditions or lack thereof, I'm not sure that the SL2 or any other camera, can give me much more than this.

I also have my M10 and Monochrom for people and street shooting. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by michali
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

No. I am very happy with my SL 601 and technically it is more than adequate for me. I am relieved that SL2 is not smaller, and does not look sufficiently more elegant, to tempt me. But I might buy a mint-mint-mint second hand SL 601 at a favourable price.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, michali said:

Not rushing into an SL2. I'll wait for 6 to 8 months or so and see how I feel.

My existing set up of the SL 601 and CL is giving me everything I need right now for my wildlife work.  Just back from a safari in Botswana and both cameras performed flawlessly. Especially the CL with the VE 90-280mm L: the image below was taken on a completely overcast early evening, after sunset at 6 400 ISO.  Given the lighting conditions or lack thereof, I'm not sure that the SL2 or any other camera, can give me much more than this.

I also have my M10 and Monochrom for people and street shooting. 

👏

Actually, Mike, I think that since both MFT and APS have come of age for image quality, the larger-sensored systems are losing their relevance for this specific use. Weight and size are deciding factors. Only BBC-like expeditions and other professional wildlife teams are able to get the real benefit of the heavy gear needed for full-frame wildlife. The days of the Canikon 600-mm (and the rest :lol: ) touting tourist trying to board a four-seater Cessna are basically over.
Well, maybe a company like Pangolin, that offers part of the outfit or even full gear rental on the spot with their packages, may be able to survive.

If Leica really cared, they would take  a leaf out of Panasonic's book and offer a  100-400 TL  Vario-Elmar OIS.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, jaapv said:

👏

Actually, Mike, I think that since both MFT and APS have come of age for image quality, the larger-sensored systems are losing their relevance for this specific use. Weight and size are deciding factors. Only BBC-like expeditions and other professional wildlife teams are able to get the real benefit of the heavy gear needed for full-frame wildlife. The days of the Canikon 600-mm (and the rest :lol: ) touting tourist trying to board a four-seater Cessna are basically over.
Well, maybe a company like Pangolin, that offers part of the outfit or even full gear rental on the spot with their packages, may be able to survive.

I fully agree Jaap. As you say, given the advance in APSC sensors and the IQ that these cameras are able to produce, I see no reason why one needs to lug around monster cameras and 600mm lenses any more.  

I played around with a Fuji X-T2 and 100-400mm Fuji zoom for about a year, I must tell you that the IQ is off the charts, and I'm finding the same with the CL which I purchased 3 months ago. It's the first time that I've had a chance to use the CL properly on safari.  Hence my question, do I really need an SL2 when I already have the SL for full frame and the CL which I'm using essentially as a 1.5X  "tele converter" for the VE 90-280mm L and delivers all that I want, in a far simpler package and user friendly interface. 

Edited by michali
  • Thanks 3

Or even another, older, long lens on adapter, given that I personally prefer manual focus anyway. The only thing missing would really be IS, and that is not something that would sway me into spending dollars that I can spend on the Safaris themselves. I am very happy using the 105-280 VE-R. It even offers the Apo-extenders. Not that  I used them once during my last short--short in Tanzania a few weeks ago. ;)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

👏

If Leica really cared, they would take  a leaf out of Panasonic's book and offer a  100-400 TL  Vario-Elmar OIS.

The relationship between body size/weight and sensor size is becoming a bit elastic: the Hasselblad X1d is smaller than the SL, and not much bigger than the M10. The Sigma fp is the same size or smaller than the Leica TL2

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

The relationship between body size/weight and sensor size is becoming a bit elastic: the Hasselblad X1d is smaller than the SL, and not much bigger than the M10. The Sigma fp is the same size or smaller than the Leica TL2. 

have you tested the eye detect AF on the FP yet ? would love to know if any good 

49 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

The relationship between body size/weight and sensor size is becoming a bit elastic: the Hasselblad X1d is smaller than the SL, and not much bigger than the M10. The Sigma fp is the same size or smaller than the Leica TL2. 

Yes, but that is not the whole story. How big do you think a 400 mm equivalent lens for the Hassellblad or full-size L mount, for that matter, would be? 

19 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes, but that is not the whole story. How big do you think a 400 mm equivalent lens for the Hassellblad or full-size L mount, for that matter, would be? 

Oh, I agree - there are valid reasons why Leica might want to keep to big heavy bodies, but those aren't (directly) related to sensor size

Edited by LocalHero1953

I'm definitely interested in the SL2 and the camera convinced me during the field test. And with FOTOS 2.0 and the iPad capability it's even more interesting for me. 
Unfortunately I spend a lot of money for the SL-Summicrons and currently I'm happy with my S1/Rs. But I'm sure that I will grab 2 copies next year. 

Edited by Ingo
Typos
  • Like 2

Yes.  My order has been in for a while.  While I was ok with 24mp, the new setup means TL lenses will be more usable and I like the SL system ergonomics better than the CL.  But what clinched it for me was the IBIS.   Testing it was a revelation and at 73 my hands are not as steady as they used to be.   The IBIS will be put to good use.  Now if they could squeeze IBIS into an M . . . .