Do You Have A Trouble Free M11 or M11M?

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

🙁 不完全是响亮的认可。

很奇怪的是,有些 M11/M11M/M11-P 射手有问题,有些却没有。 

据我所知,对于那些受到冻结和损坏的 DNG 文件困扰的人来说,SD 卡的选择、实时视图的使用和 Leica Fotos 应用程序的使用似乎是共同点。

No, My M11-P had 3 broken DNG in its first 50 shots, proper SD card, NON live view neither connected to phone

• Thanks 1

Yesterday I also had my 1st freeze with my M 11 Monochrom (counter something around 450 images). Direct after change the lens from 35 to 75 mm. Only put out the battery helps at the end.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2024 at 12:44 AM, colint544 said:

Mostly trouble free. Bought my M11 in March last year. Had one freeze-up in the first week, then updated the firmware to 1.6.1. No freeze-ups since. I'm still running 1.6.1 on the camera, I haven't updated it.

Also, not had any problems with pressing buttons immediately after switching on the camera. No corrupt or lost files. However, I get occasional wildly overexposed frames with the shutter speed dial set to Auto, or the ISO dial set to Auto. So I'm forced to use manual everything really. 

I understand that the overexposure problem has largely been cured with later firmware, but that later firmware seems to have introduced a whole raft of other problems, so I'm sticking with 1.6.1. Maybe Leica can come up with an update that definitively cures all the problems.

I went through this when I bought an M9M at release, and there were quite a few software bugs. Leica did eventually get everything fixed, and my M9M is now absolutely dependable. I'm hoping they'll come good on the M11 too.

The way it sounds, you're very wise to keep your camera at 1.6.1.

• Like 1

Trouble free since firmware 1.6.1. I used to say that the M11 was my better M body since i bought my first one in 1971 but since the excellent (to me) firmware 2.0.2, i believe it's become my best M ever. It has its limits, due to the lack of IBIS, but no freeze, lockup or corrupt file whatsoever. I use systematically my own tips though and connectivity is always off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 10:20 AM, steveBK said:

It's crazy that even the "post if you have a trouble free M11" post has about 1/3 of the "my camera is trouble free" posters caveating it with problems they did have prior to/after certain firmware versions.. or that they have 2 cameras where 1 is great, 1 is buggy or defective.  

I've noticed that, too. 😉

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, lct said:

Trouble free since firmware 1.6.1. I used to say that the M11 was my better M body since i bought my first one in 1971 but since the excellent (to me) firmware 2.0.2, i believe it's become my best M ever. It has its limits, due to the lack of IBIS, but no freeze, lockup or corrupt file whatsoever. I use systematically my own tips though and connectivity is always off. 

Re: your tips; I'd have to carry a check list with me. 😉

Edited by fotografr

On 2/28/2024 at 1:33 PM, ianforber said:

Trouble free from launch and I’ve always updated the firmware within a few days of it being launched. 

May I ask which card you use? 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, lct said:

A mere user profile would be enough.

What's the profile setting for, "do not use lens detection for uncoded lenses?" Or for "turn camera off before attaching visoflex'? 

Edited by fotografr

my M10-P freezes occasionally and since the most recent firmware this has gotten worse. Maybe it's not isolated to the 11? 

For what it's worth. I've lost 1 frame to a freeze in 5 years of ownership. Operates just fine otherwise.

I apologize up front for mentioning the 10 in an 11 thread. I'm sure someone will post to reprimand me momentarily. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, fotografr said:

What's the profile setting for, "do not use lens detection for uncoded lenses?" Or for "turn camera off before attaching visoflex'? 

I did not find profiles to turn camera off i'm afraid but i have a profile for uncoded lenses actually. This way, each time i mount an uncoded lens, the camera sets itself lens detection to off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fotografr said:

May I ask which card you use? 

SanDisk 64GB UHS-II 300MB/s. I bought it direct from the Western Digital (ie SanDisk) website to avoid the risk of getting a fraudulent card. 

I had previously used it in my Q2 and then used it in my M11 instead. Only the one card in use. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, _Alex_ said:

my M10-P freezes occasionally and since the most recent firmware this has gotten worse. Maybe it's not isolated to the 11? 

For what it's worth. I've lost 1 frame to a freeze in 5 years of ownership. Operates just fine otherwise.

I apologize up front for mentioning the 10 in an 11 thread. I'm sure someone will post to reprimand me momentarily. 

You'll need to go stand in the corner facing the wall for 30 minutes, constantly repeating the words, "I am a glass bowl." 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lct said:

I did not find profiles to turn camera off i'm afraid but i have a profile for uncoded lenses actually. This way, each time i mount an uncoded lens, the camera sets itself lens detection to off.

Neat. I didn't know that was possible. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, fotografr said:

Neat. I didn't know that was possible. 

Lens detection is always on. Attaching a non-coded lens or using no lens will load the lens profile manually set by the user. The moment you mount a coded lens the 6 bit code overrides the manually set profile. If lens detection were off permanently, attaching a coded lens would load the user set profile and not the 6 bit one of the lens.

Edited by hmzimelka
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hmzimelka said:

[...] Attaching a non-coded lens [...] will load the lens profile manually set by the user [...]

Not if you set up a user profile for uncoded lenses. As i said above, each time i mount an uncoded lens, the camera sets itself lens detection to off.

Edited by lct

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, lct said:

Not if you set up a lens profile for uncoded lenses. As i said above, each time i mount an uncoded lens, the camera sets itself lens detection to off.

Put on a coded lens and the camera sets to the mounted lens profile. 

Read what I mentioned above,  "If lens detection were off permanently, attaching a coded lens would load the user set profile and not the 6 bit one of the lens."
The camera will read the 6 bit code off a lens - always - and if it doesn't find one, it will revert to the user set profile. However, the 6 bit reader is always active!

This is easy to verify! I've got my camera set to a 90mm f/2.8 profile for my uncoded 90mm tele-elmarit. With any uncoded lens, or no lens, this shows on the LCD as the selected Lens profile. Remove the lens and mount a coded lens like my Summicron-M 50mm V, and the camera switches to Summicron 50mm profile!

If the camera would honour the user lens settings like you say it does, (either a profile or off) then mounting a coded lens should still result in your lens setting to be either the manual profile you selected or off. This is simply not the case. The camera ALWAYS has the 6 bit reader active. Even if the camera is ON with a user set lens profile to lets say 90mm f/2.8, and you mount a coded 50mm Summicron while the camera is ON, the camera WILL set the lens coding to Summicron 50mm!

Edited by hmzimelka
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'm not good at hypotheses. Just stating facts. I don't count them any more but in about half a century of using Leica gear, i must own something like 30 M lenses. Most are coded or hand-coded. A couple of them remain uncoded because i don't want to butcher their flange or for whatever reason. 2 examples: my good old Tele-Elmar 135/4 and a clone of the Summicron 50/2 v5, the Hexanon 50/2 in M mount. I have setup a user profile for them in which lens detection and dust protection are set to off. This way, each time i use those lenses the camera sets itself lens detection and dust protection to off. No rocket science. There is no harm to try.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1