Have you placed order on SL2?

m9photo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

12 hours ago, hillavoider said:

in Australia they are selling for about 2990 USD or 4400 AUD before any discounts and there have been some very good discounts lately which would bring the price down to about 2600 USD. 

but yes you are right not 1/4  

I am now thinking, get the S1R and the SL 50 APO for the same price as a SL2 body only - its a no brainer actually 

The S1R is a bargain at that price and it is a great camera ... and , as you’ve indicated, a no brainer.

28 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

The SL2 produces better, cleaner files than the S1R in high contrast scenes.  It's a no-brainer.  Started an IQ thread here:

Sorry, but what you have shown (in the smugmug jpg's) does not convince me that there is any significant difference in image quality under normal use. (the shadows do not appear to have been lifted by an equal amount for a start ..... the sliders may say they have but my eyes do not agree). Certainly the difference is not worth paying almost twice the cost of an S1R for. 

As Jono mentions in his review he is supremely disinterested in image quality, as he quite rightly points out that in this price bracket the differences are negligible these days. 

By all means keep banging on about how crappy the S1R raw files are but you will have to produce more evidence than this to convince me. What happens round about the 1600/3200 iso mark is more of a concern to me than excessively pushed base ISO files. 

Once I have my SL2 in a couple of weeks I'll run my own tests ...... but the decision to keep one or other (or probably both) will depend more on the handling and ease of use. The process of using each is very different although I anticipate the end result will be much the same. It's handy to have 2 bodies for landscape work, but whether 2 such different cameras running concurrently is a good idea remains to be seen. :rolleyes: 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gerade eben schrieb thighslapper:

Sorry, but what you have shown (in the smugmug jpg's) does not convince me that there is any significant difference in image quality under normal use. (the shadows do not appear to have been lifted by an equal amount for a start ..... the sliders may say they have but my eyes do not agree).

I posted links to download the RAW files for those who are not in denial. 😁 They can lift the Shadows slider themselves. 

No. I rented the SlL a year ago and, while its imaging was OK, I found it bigger, heavier, and more limited of a design than the alternatives I already have. I hoped that the SL2 might change that relationship but it has not. IBIS is a nice (albeit long overdue) addition. But the bulk is still there, still offering no facilities such as articulating touch screen or EVF. As a Q2 owner I can see that the SL2’s image is still uniquely lovely (It uses the same sensor) but the battery life is still weak and the AF is still nervous and uncertain. 

So no, sorry, but I won’t be buying one. 

No.

There are a number of reasons:

• The Sony 7ARIV I just bought works really well with my R lens collection
  • Already have the SL - which works fine (aside from the irritating dust and hair trapped behind the glass panel over the CMOS chip, which will have to be cleaned out by Leica at some stage)
  • In Australia, realistically the SL2 will only be become available in @ 6 months
  • Got burned pre-ordering the 35mm SL-APO lens.  Never again.

1 hour ago, KenTanaka said:

....but the battery life is still weak and the AF is still nervous and uncertain. 

Could you elaborate a bit on your experience with AF, e.g., lens(es) used, shooting circumstances, etc.  Same with battery life... settings, shooting habits, still/video?

Thanks.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Could you elaborate a bit on your experience with AF, e.g., lens(es) used, shooting circumstances, etc.  Same with battery life... settings, shooting habits, still/video?

Thanks.

Jeff

My SL experience was purely for photo. I believe i was using the 24-90 (in addition to my M lenses). The project I was photographing at the time required a lot of  downward shooting and holding the camera away from my face. I recalled being exhausted after 40 mins. And so was my battery (the only one I had). I resorted to all manual focusing as af was just too sketchy for the situation. 

DPreview’s preliminary review with a pre-release camera suggests that these problems persist with the new model. 

Lugs....tiny things that would (if I got the SL2) be irritating.
I use the SL with a handstrap, mainly with the 24-90 and 90-280 zooms. When working with it, I often lay it down on its edge, neatly balanced on the hood of the zoom. The sticking out lugs would make this a much less secure balance, and more likely to scratch a delicate surface.

35 minutes ago, KenTanaka said:

My SL experience was purely for photo. I believe i was using the 24-90 (in addition to my M lenses). The project I was photographing at the time required a lot of  downward shooting and holding the camera away from my face. I recalled being exhausted after 40 mins. And so was my battery (the only one I had). I resorted to all manual focusing as af was just too sketchy for the situation. 

DPreview’s preliminary review with a pre-release camera suggests that these problems persist with the new model. 

Thanks, Ken. I thought you also used the SL2.  Chris at DPReview seemed an outlier in his concerns based on the reviews I’ve read and seen. But we each have different shooting needs, standards, preferences and workflows, so I’ll reserve judgment until I can demo.

Jeff

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Lugs....tiny things that would (if I got the SL2) be irritating.
I use the SL with a handstrap, mainly with the 24-90 and 90-280 zooms. When working with it, I often lay it down on its edge, neatly balanced on the hood of the zoom. The sticking out lugs would make this a much less secure balance, and more likely to scratch a delicate surface.

Oh, those are strap lugs?  I thought they were staples as part of the packaging - I’ve canceled my order; okay, I’ve canceled my intention to consider ordering; alright, I never intended ordering, but the staples seal it for me ... 😬

Edited by IkarusJohn

I find the camera more aesthetically appealing than the first version and suspect that the grip will also be more agreeable. The lugs will be covered by the, uh, strap, which never leaves my cameras.  Barring any important unforeseen issues, looks like a winner.

Jeff

I don't find it ugly TBH. I would order one if it were the same size as my Sony and allowed auto magnification with M lenses. Now i did not like the adipose Leicaflex either but the compact R4 was launched 15 years later so all hope is not lost if i'm not pushing up daisies by then :rolleyes:.

3 hours ago, KenTanaka said:

Chris from DP Review did not mention clearly in his video wether his comments that the ‘AF hunting’ resulted in the Pics captured are not sharp or the image he saw from the EVF is not sharp? In my experience with the SL the same problem exist which shooting continues shows softly focused image at times (actually is EVF responding only in Low resolution) but actual image captured is sharp.

• Thanks 1