Voigtländer Nokton 35/1.4 II

padam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, comptroller said:

Ken Rockwell said this Nokton is “a loser”, so maybe I’m wrong.

No, you’re right. First, his test ist from 2011. So, his copy is a V1. Second, Ken Rockwell’s opinions must be taken with a shaker of salt. To understand his thinking it makes sense to look at his pictures. Third, he refers to landscape photography. And here he’s somewhat right. I shoot landscapes and cityscapes from time to time and print them. The Summicron ASPH is a much better performer in this regard, but this is to be expected. 

The Nokton is a great reportage lens, it is marvellous at environmental portraits, anything moody like fashion. And it's foremost a film lens. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steven said:

The first thing that makes it special is that it makes me feel special. 

This is so very true. A lens, though a material thing, can make one feel special. Special. Inspired. Creative. It may not be the only one of its kind. There may be many others like it, or, it may be one of a very small production run. If the planets seem to align, just right, when one is using a lens, it is special.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Steven said:

I’ve posted about 500 of them on the forum over the years. If not more. 
The first thing that makes it special is that it makes me feel special. for the rest of the special things, you can read some excellent threads on here. 

So it's because makes you feel special?  ok.

3 hours ago, Huss said:

So it's because makes you feel special?  ok.

@Huss, I agree, it says a lot. Maybe also a vintage Rolex would make Steve “feel special”.

Look at all the old posts from @Steven. They are all over the place - then he loves M10R, then he hates it and prefers M10, then he shoots film and hates digital. Same with lenses - hated 35 KoB and ASPH, now he wants to try these lenses again on film.

Don’t get me wrong, more power to @Steven for trying lenses and shooting photos. My only point is, these grand statements of “this lens is crap, I hate it” are just the signs of a simple man and his lack of language. He wants to be the grand expert instead of just saying:  “I don’t like this visual language, but prefer another.” That would have been the reply of an artist.

Of course we grow-ups knows, this is just insercurity, but unfortunately it leaves an impression of narrow mindness.

/Mads 

Edited by MadsP

There are more in the "I like film" thread but I like how the rust looks.

M4-2, Voigtlander 35 1.4 Nokton Classic SC V2, Tri-X @ ISO 200, Rodinal 50:1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I get using something because it feels special - which is why I use film Ms instead of Bessas, ZM Ikons, Nikon RFs, Canon LTMs, all the Soviet RFs.  I had those, and none of them made me want to pick them up and use them the way an M camera does.

But with lenses? My CV lenses feel as special as in they are just as enjoyable to use as my Leica lenses or my LLL lenses.

In fact, I use my CV 35 1.4II more than my FLE or any of the other 35s I have because I love its size, feel, handling and output.  The fact that it is by far the cheapest 35 I have is, uh, making me question my purchasing decisions!

Interestingly the least special feeling one is my ZM Distagon 35 1.4, because it just feels and is way too big for a 35 1.4 lens on an M body.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadsP said:

@Huss, I agree, it says a lot. Maybe also a vintage Rolex would make Steve “feel special”.

Look at all the old posts from @Steven. They are all over the place - then he loves M10R, then he hates it and prefers M10, then he shoots film and hates digital. Same with lenses - hated 35 KoB and ASPH, now he wants to try these lenses again on film.

Don’t get me wrong, more power to @Steven for trying lenses and shooting photos. My only point is, these grand statements of “this lens is crap, I hate it” are just the signs of a simple man and his lack of language. He wants to be the grand expert instead of just saying:  “I don’t like this visual language, but prefer another.” That would have been the reply of an artist.

Of course we grow-ups knows, this is just insercurity, but unfortunately it leaves an impression of narrow mindness.

/Mads 

What you we see in people (especially those you don't know) is usually a reflection of ourselves. You really didn't digest that I blocked you on WhatsApp. Poor thing. 

Edited by Steven

48 minutes ago, Huss said:

I get using something because it feels special - which is why I use film Ms instead of Bessas, ZM Ikons, Nikon RFs, Canon LTMs, all the Soviet RFs.  I had those, and none of them made me want to pick them up and use them the way an M camera does.

But with lenses? My CV lenses feel as special as in they are just as enjoyable to use as my Leica lenses or my LLL lenses.

In fact, I use my CV 35 1.4II more than my FLE or any of the other 35s I have because I love its size, feel, handling and output.  The fact that it is by far the cheapest 35 I have is, uh, making me question my purchasing decisions!

Interestingly the least special feeling one is my ZM Distagon 35 1.4, because it just feels and is way too big for a 35 1.4 lens on an M body.

The Nokton is in my top 5 35mm lenses, as you can see in a previous posts of mine. I love its rendering, and I love its size. I like it more than all modern leica lenses. All I said is that to me, the Nokton is not "all I need". I much prefer the Summilux pre asph, wether it's an expensive V1 (that makes me feel special because I love just the simple fact of looking at this object) of an affordable V2 which renders almost the same, for most purposes. 

The Nokton was the second Leica lens I acquired. I now own three models of it: MCII, SCII, and the silver MCI. I have never sold that lens, which should tell you how much I like it. I just don't use it as much a I use my Summilux pre asph, and anyone who says that they are exactly the same and that the Summilux doesn't deserve to be owned when you own the Nokton is either blind or stupid. Not saying one needs both, but they are two very different lenses. 

Edited by Steven

6 hours ago, Steven said:

What you we see in people (especially those you don't know) is usually a reflection of ourselves. You really didn't digest that I blocked you on WhatsApp. Poor thing. 

Sorry mate, blocked you long time ago. So honestly don’t know or care what you do. 🥱🤫🤭

This thread needs more images and less hot air and bs.  The lens deserves that, CV have pulled off a coup with it!

Rogie Falls, Scotland.

M4-P (a brass one!)

Voigtlander 35mm Nokton f1.4 sc ii

Tri-X in XT-3

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Magpie Mine, Peak District.

M4-P

Tri-X in XT-3

• Like 9

Bell ringers.  St. Michael and All Saints church, Wadenhoe, Northamptonshire.

M4-P

Tri-X in XT-3

Taken at f1.4, 1/8th sec handheld.  Quick focus and recompose less than 2 metres from the female bell ringer.

• Like 5

On 8/25/2023 at 12:15 AM, Steven said:

Meh.... I loved it, until I got a Summilux 35 pre asph. I still love it, but rarely use it now. It was a gateway drug. 

Reverse experience here :cool: As much as i like my Summilux v2 i use the Nokton 35/1.4 SC v2 more and more at the expense of the former. Now the Summilux remains difficult to beat when i need more glow and less distortion but while Grandpa Summilux keeps its charm, Sonny Boy Nokton is slowly but surely taking over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lct said:

Reverse experience here :cool: As much as i like my Summilux v2 i use the Nokton 35/1.4 SC v2 more and more at the expense of the former. Now the Summilux remains difficult to beat when i need more glow and less distortion but while Grandpa Summilux keeps its charm, Sonny Boy Nokton is slowly but surely taking over.

Another thing that made me put the lens of the side a bit was the time I used the SL2-S a lot. This lens is a bad performer on the SL2-S while the Summilux is superb. 

Where I think it can potentially really shine over the Summilux is on film, wide open. Sometimes, depending on lighting, the glow of the Summilux can be a bit too much for me. When the Summilux delivers, it can't be beat. But the Nokton wide open on film seems a bit more reliable to me with its increased sharpness.

4 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

This thread needs more images

Let's do it. Wide open, Portra 800. 

• Like 12

Wide open, Portra 160

• Like 13

Wide open, Portra 800

• Like 13

Nokton V2 SC, wide open. HP5 @ 800 ISO

• Like 12

At f 8.0. No lens correction. Barrel distortion at a 10m distance is minimal. 

• Like 3