Voigtländer Nokton 35/1.4 II

padam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Still raining... ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First two @ f1.4, third at f5.6 (M11).   This small and lightweight lens is a delight to use and street photography suits its attributes.  As ever, click for higher res.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

The subject lens first outing (at f1.4) with M10M.  (and it too is a very compact, lightweight lens!)

• Like 3

Very pleased with my decision to buy this lens  :)  This afternoon with M10M and Nokton wide-open (with B+W orange filter).

• Like 7

MC version, deliberately provoking the circular flare. This only happens wide open, even a tiny bit of stopping down eliminates this. 

• Like 8

On 1/13/2023 at 2:36 PM, Keith (M) said:

The subject lens first outing (at f1.4) with M10M.  (and it too is a very compact, lightweight lens!)

Nice, the bokeh looks like it to was carved out with a rounded gouge chisel 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:35 PM, Fred Miranda said:

Hi Lee, I have never seen so much glow from from 35/1.4 II Nokton SC images. Which version do you have and do you get this effect all the time?

Hello @Fred Mirandajust checked back on this thread. 

This was taken with the 35/1.4 II Multi Coated Version. The photo in question was heavily cropped from 24MP to 6MP so might exaggerate the glow also perhaps I missed focus slightly? Let me know your thoughts, if it’s still bad considering the cropping I might have a Friday afternoon copy! 

By my standards the Nokton can be decently sharp in the centre at f1.4, the corners are a mush always and the extreme corners never get sharp even above f8. 

On a side note, really enjoy your site and reviews and it’s helped me buy 4 Voigtlander lenses so far so thank for all your efforts!

Have you ever tried the 35mm F2.8 C-Biogon, which I would be interested to see your thoughts if you ever have chance to test it. 

I’d say it’s only bettered by the 35mm Leica / Voigtlander APO lenses at  equivalent aperture’s of F2.8 and F5.6. A great landscape and general purpose lens that doesn’t get much love. 

Lee 

55 minutes ago, Lee S said:

Hello @Fred Mirandajust checked back on this thread. 

This was taken with the 35/1.4 II Multi Coated Version. The photo in question was heavily cropped from 24MP to 6MP so might exaggerate the glow also perhaps I missed focus slightly? Let me know your thoughts, if it’s still bad considering the cropping I might have a Friday afternoon copy! 

By my standards the Nokton can be decently sharp in the centre at f1.4, the corners are a mush always and the extreme corners never get sharp even above f8. 

On a side note, really enjoy your site and reviews and it’s helped me buy 4 Voigtlander lenses so far so thank for all your efforts!

Have you ever tried the 35mm F2.8 C-Biogon, which I would be interested to see your thoughts if you ever have chance to test it. 

I’d say it’s only bettered by the 35mm Leica / Voigtlander APO lenses at  equivalent aperture’s of F2.8 and F5.6. A great landscape and general purpose lens that doesn’t get much love. 

Lee 

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the info. Yes, cropping the image would make the 'glow' more apparent and that's why it stood out for me. I always see a subtle glow from the CV 35/1.4 II but it's way more controlled than what I get from Leica 35/1.4 pre-asph. Contrast is also higher for the Voigtlander but the new 35/1.4 Lux Steel Rim comes close.

For some shooters, the Voigtlander version may be more usable wide open while for those who prefer more glow, the Leica may be a better choice.

After trying many copies of both lenses, I agree that  the Voigtlander 35/1.4 II corners don't look that great until f/8 but really need f/11 to be optimal. That's where the Leica does better being already optimal at f/5.6 across the field.

I have tried the 35/2.8 Biogon before but don't quite remember its performance details, except that it was sharp and contrasty where it matters even wide open.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just got this lens, still have to test it properly (over the weekend).

It complements my Q2 quite well, I think :)

anything in particular I should be aware of?

vignetting/ color fringe / ... ?

• 2 weeks later...

M4, Nokton Classic 35mm 1.4 SC V2, Kodak 400TX, Rodinal 50:1:

Edited by madNbad
  • Like 2

Playing about indoors.  Nokton Classic II SC f1.4 on M11.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Dear Friends, 

Do any of you know if I could transplant the glass of a V2 into the body of a V1? I have a limited edition V1 that I like, but prefer the rendering of the V2. Does the new optic formula allow for such a surgery, or dimensions are different ? 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Dear Friends, 

Do any of you know if I could transplant the glass of a V2 into the body of a V1? I have a limited edition V1 that I like, but prefer the rendering of the V2. Does the new optic formula allow for such a surgery, or dimensions are different ? 

Thanks

Interesting idea! I don't know the answer, but I also prefer the body of the v1. I still use the v1 on film, and v2 on digital.

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Dear Friends, 

Thanks

That sounds like an interesting job. I don't see why not but it would need a little closer inspection. 

Essentially the optical block can be removed quite easily and presumably interchanged between V1 and V2, however, the aperture ring would need to be swapped out which is part of the optical assembly. This isn't difficult but since V1 and V2 have different aperture rings I would hope the space for the two are the same. Then of course shimming between the two lenses would likely need adjusting. 

Perhaps pop @yukosteel a message?  

Edited by hmzimelka

3 hours ago, hmzimelka said:

That sounds like an interesting job. I don't see why not but it would need a little closer inspection. 

Essentially the optical block can be removed quite easily and presumably interchanged between V1 and V2, however, the aperture ring would need to be swapped out which is part of the optical assembly. This isn't difficult but since V1 and V2 have different aperture rings I would hope the space for the two are the same. Then of course shimming between the two lenses would likely need adjusting. 

Perhaps pop @yukosteel a message?  

Thank you ! 

I'll bring the lenses to my tech next week and find out! 

• Like 1