Voigtländer 1.4 40mm VM - MC or SC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey together, 

my lovely wife wants to buy me a new nice little 1.4 40mm VM lens from Voigtländer for Xmas. I shoot only film with my Leica MP (and many Nikons). I am not looking for sharpness as such as my main result. Hence open for some "vintage look/imperfections" in the pictures.  Anybody has any experience with SC v MC ? Any recommendations? Thank you very much indeed 

Edited by south64

What people say above is the general rule, SC for B&W to bring out shadow detail, and MC for color, but my understanding, from folks who owned both, and seeing pics of both, is that they're pretty close to each other.  Either way, they're a real nice character lens.  I had the MC which I used on an M Leica at one time, and loved the results except I was always guessing a bit on the framing.  

Edited by TheBestSLIsALeicaflex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm baffled why you'd want the 40mm version of the lens when a 35mm version is available and would suit the Leica windows (unless you are using a film CL). The SC version has a lot of flare into the light, and has a very gentle contrast at other times. The MC version is traditional high contrast and less flare prone. I use the SC version, it's more old school but you have to keep in mind how it will work with the light, it's not like an SLR when you can see any flare and either accept it or move a little to the side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

40 mm is closer to 43 mm which would be perfectly "normal" with 35 film size - I only have "normal" view lenses, same with the Nikons in the range between 45 and 60 mm. I am currently awaiting a "perfect" Pentax 43 mm lens from Japan :)

I will use 50 frame plus a bit on my MP and cut the prints if I have to

Edited by south64

31 minutes ago, south64 said:

40 mm is closer to 43 mm which would be perfectly "normal" with 35 film size - I only have "normal" view lenses, same with the Nikons in the range between 45 and 60 mm. I am currently awaiting a "perfect" Pentax 43 mm lens from Japan :)

I will use 50 frame plus a bit on my MP and cut the prints if I have to

I have two Pentax 43mm Ltm lenses they made as a special edition! When not going 28mm, closest to normal is what it is! ( also the 35mm Framlines on the M6 / M7/  Mp / Ma style finders are actually perfect 40mm framelines in my experience! Also shown in this post: https://www.instagram.com/p/COdC3JTFNa5/?utm_medium=copy_link )

Edited by Kriehuber

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2004/12/03/466.html

Ok the above Asian site, complete with non-English comment shows a subtle difference.  Just ignore the (non English) writing (if you can not read it) and scroll down to click on the picture comparisons.  MC on left side and SC on right side.  The last set of pictures of the Asian roofs (before the portrait) seem to be out of focus on my computer screen so the MC looks softer than the SC which I do not believe. 

MC pictures are a bit sharper and the VM 40 1.4 apparently non-aspherical lens gives probably a 1970's or 80's look.  Certainly the look (or lens character) is different from the modern aspherical super sharp look. Yet this is accomplished with what one would call a sharp lens giving to my eye a rounding effect to the edges of objects rather than the aspherical higher contrast "sharper" edge, yes the old spherical only lens character appears in the VM 40mm 1.4 lens.  

Voigtlander example: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Bokeh here, is a bit harsh, but almost never seen in most pictures on the web so only the most extreme conditions of close-by background highlights seem to cause this and as we know this is probably the toughest situation for any lens to handle.  

Note that the bokeh does not appear to be "swirll bokeh" having not much or no rounding pattern.  Also some might consider it an enhancement though a loud one. 

Certainly the beautiful face overcomes all objections and for such active bokeh maybe it is just attention getting and not bad patterned as most active bokeh patterns that are complained about. 

Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f1.4 Bokeh

• 3 months later...