Voigtländer 75mm Nokton 1.5 vs Leica 75mm Noctilux 1.25

Jan1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone experience with the Voigtländer 75mm 1.5? How is the image quality and handling compared to the 75mm Noctilux?

I actually own a 75mm Noctilux. And I often think that this so much money in my camera bag that selling it and purchasing a 75mm Voigtländer makes much more sense in financial terms.

Edited by Jan1985
  • Like 1

Why buy the "NORTON" when you can buy 7artisans 75mm f/1.25 and be even more on the financially sensible side? It is 31x cheaper than the Noctilux but only about 3-4x worse...

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Jan1985 changed the title to Voigtländer 75mm Nokton 1.5 vs Leica 75mm Noctilux 1.25
On 1/27/2024 at 7:38 PM, Jan1985 said:

Has anyone experience with the Voigtländer 75mm 1.5? How is the image quality and handling compared to the 75mm Noctilux?

I actually own a 75mm Noctilux. And I often think that this so much money in my camera bag that selling it and purchasing a 75mm Voigtländer makes much more sense in financial terms.

I have the 75mm Nokton and think it's a very nice lens. Sharp, wide open and smooth bokeh.

However, as others have suggested, I would point you to online resources already available:

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-voigtlander-75mm-f1-5-vm/ (This review is on both Leica M10 and Sony camera)

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1608503/ (This review is on Sony camera only, but the lens behaves sensibly on non-M cameras)

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 12:38 PM, Jan1985 said:

Just make sure it is insured and have fun with it. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No idea about the Voigtländer 75mm 1.5, it doesn't interest me, I can't get with its design.

I'm sure you are correct, given its cost, the Noctilux may not stack up financially, it's very hard to justify the small detail differences we, as photographers can see, but often the audience are oblivious to.

My money would be on a well bough 2nd hand Noctilux, I'd really appreciate what it could bring to my photography. Hopefully the lens itself would also appreciate in value over time.

Mr Leica on Youtube has a video where he did a side by side of the 2, If I remember correctly, Noctilux owner was tempted to sell and replace with a Voigtländer 75mm 1.5.

I happen to like the 75mm focal length, I bought the Summicron 75 APO twice, it reminds me of the Contax Zeiss 100 f2 Planar. The Noctilux to my eye is special, If I had the means, I wouldn't even contemplate a switch ... an addition perhaps?.

Edited by Eoin
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

My very personal view: the Nokton 75 is an excellent lens and "easy to own" assuming you like the ergonomics (I did not). The Noct 75 is a unique lens, unmatched in rendering (combination of sharpness and bokeh) but "difficult to own" due to its price and bulk.

Sorry I can't help more 😆 I feel like I am being cynical even though it is not my intention.

In any case I assume that once you have both, you will experiment and then decide which one to keep, the Nokt or the Noct (or both?!) 

• Like 3

vor 6 Stunden schrieb fil-m:

My very personal view: the Nokton 75 is an excellent lens and "easy to own" assuming you like the ergonomics (I did not). The Noct 75 is a unique lens, unmatched in rendering (combination of sharpness and bokeh) but "difficult to own" due to its price and bulk.

Sorry I can't help more 😆 I feel like I am being cynical even though it is not my intention.

In any case I assume that once you have both, you will experiment and then decide which one to keep, the Nokt or the Noct (or both?!) 

Yes thats my aim. I just want to test them side by side to make a final decision. I can‘t jude a lens when I‘ve not tried it. Maybe its wiser to sell the Noct and get some cash for. I hope that I will find an answer.

I purchased the 75mm Nokton about a month ago as a first jump into longer focal lengths on the Leica M system after enjoying a vintage 85m lens.  

If you enjoy the focal length, you can't really go wrong with trying the 75 Nokton. It's a great lens, my only "complaint" being that it is SHARP. For some subjects I have found the sharpness to be abrasive, however for other subjects it's been welcome. I was not bothered by the design / ergonomics of the lens prior to purchasing it, nor was I after, but that's a personal thing. In the end, purchased at a good price, I cannot see the Nokton as a bad option given that it can be resold with minimal loss if you do not enjoy its characteristics. 

Give it time and try them both over a week. I have found solace in the thought that the "best lens" of any focal length is the one which works best for you when creating the images that you want to create. Definitely compare them. One of them may replace the other outright, or you may find that they are both good -- just for different things -- and so end up keeping both.

All that being said, after owning many Voigtlander and Leica lenses, those which have been kept have found good use. Though I cannot say that all would find good use towards the same aim. Different brushes for different things. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 6:57 PM, Jan1985 said:

Yes thats my aim. I just want to test them side by side to make a final decision. I can‘t jude a lens when I‘ve not tried it. Maybe its wiser to sell the Noct and get some cash for. I hope that I will find an answer.

This is what I would think is best. Keep the known-good lens, while trying the potential “replacement.” I have experience with neither lens, but, this principle applies to all serious tools, in a range of endeavors. I deeply regretted selling an important tool of my previous trade, to finance its successor model, only to discover that a significant ergonomic change had been made in the design of the successor model. The user interface just did not work for me. In a case of true serendipity, I did find an alternative tool that was better than either, that I already happened to own, but had not yet handled enough to appreciate. From then onward, however, I would rather not trust in mere luck to “bail me out” again. 

My 75mm M lens being the APO Summicron-M 75mm ASPH, I am not qualified to discuss the two lenses in this thread topic. The Summilux-M 50mm ASPH and APO Summicron-M 75mm ASPH occupy a personal “sweet spot” in weight and bulk, for way I use Leica M cameras. 

On 3/31/2024 at 1:11 PM, Jan1985 said:

That‘s interesting. In some review I read that the Nokton is a bit soft @ 1.5. So when you say it‘s sharp. That‘s surprising. I will test it how sharp compared to the Noctilux.

Depends on the focused distance - from infinity down to ~1.5 meters/4.5 feet or so, the Nokton is sharp even at f/1.5.

Closer than that, since it lacks the floating element of the Leica APO Summicron/Noctilux, it gets dreamy and softer at f/1.5. To about the level of the 75 Summilux at f/1.4.

Good for "gentle" portraits or other moody pictures; not so good for clinical perfection.

"Best" clarity at the close distances requires stopping down to f/3.5-5.6.

• Like 3

vor 15 Minuten schrieb adan:

Depends on the focused distance - from infinity down to ~1.5 meters/4.5 feet or so, the Nokton is sharp even at f/1.5.

Closer than that, since it lacks the floating element of the Leica APO Summicron/Noctilux, it gets dreamy and softer at f/1.5. To about the level of the 75 Summilux at f/1.4.

Good for "gentle" portraits or other moody pictures; not so good for clinical perfection.

"Best" clarity at the close distances requires stopping down to f/3.5-5.6.

Somewhere must be some kind of compromise. Thanks for this information. The thing is if you want clinical sharpness in a Noctilux.

15 hours ago, Jan1985 said:

Somewhere must be some kind of compromise. Thanks for this information. The thing is if you want clinical sharpness in a Noctilux.

The Noctilux's compromise is weight and size I guess. I'm looking forward to your conclusions, I hope you have fun comparing these two.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Voigtländer 75mm Norton 1.5 VM @ 1.5 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!