Voigtländer Nokton 35/1.4 II

padam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

41 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Not sure if you've considered it

The Rokkor is, apart from the mentioned coating and the "normal" filter thread of 40.5 indeed quite identical to the summicron 40. The price difference here in Europe is of so little consequence as to warrant little or no attention - I would choose the summicron instead. But my strongest contender atm for price/performance combo is the 35/1.4 II SC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

The Rokkor is, apart from the mentioned coating and the "normal" filter thread of 40.5 indeed quite identical to the summicron 40. The price difference here in Europe is of so little consequence as to warrant little or no attention - I would choose the summicron instead. But my strongest contender atm for price/performance combo is the 35/1.4 II SC.

Rokkor v1 for CL is somewhat a clone to the Summicron but Rokkor v2 for CLE came more or less  ten years later. Not to say that it is basically different but it has a bit less flare than the 'Cron.

6 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Did anyone perhaps by any chance compare the 35/1.4 II to summicron 40/2?

I'm not good at comparing different focal lengths sorry. In a nutshell i would say that differences are not obvious at f/2.8 and on. At f/2 the Nokton 35/1.4 "SC" v2 is sharper at edges and corners. Its main interest is glow i.e. halos around highlights at f/1.4 if you like that. None of those lenses is flare free anyway. The Rokkor 40/2 v2 has a bit less flare but not by much and they are all beaten flare wise by lenses like CV 35/2 or ZM 35/2.8, let alone more expensive Leica lenses that are not superior to the laters necessarily. By superior i mean having less flare but some photogs like that.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I take up this topic again because I am evaluating the purchase of the Nokton 35 1.4 II.
My only doubt is that it provides a blur without depth, subject seems "stuck" to the blurry background.
Although I have seen some beautiful images taken with this lens in this forum, I would like to see more if any of you can post them.
Thanks

@albertospa

Do it! It's a must-have lens 🙂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Mother in law on film. It's a great lens. I love its flare. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Steven said:

Mother in law on film. It's a great lens. I love its flare. 

I got interested in this lens when I saw this photo in the forum some time ago.
Thanks Steven.

13 minutes ago, albertospa said:

Thanks, great photos.
Would anyone still have some?
I also have a Cron 35 IV Germany which I love but would like to add a brighter lens

379 photos at this moment.

8 minutes ago, albertospa said:

Thanks, I know this group, but I think the photos on Flickr are either uninteresting or very elaborate ...

They just shows what regular person could get from this lens. Which is true evaluation I use all the time for lenses and cameras I don't know.

Some non-shared from me on M-E 220:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/kf095/v7F47n

https://www.flickr.com/gp/kf095/Ky94qg

https://www.flickr.com/gp/kf095/d018d4

https://www.flickr.com/gp/kf095/27876E

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, albertospa said:

Thanks, great photos.
Would anyone still have some?
I also have a Cron 35 IV Germany which I love but would like to add a brighter lens

Not to go off-topic but if you have a cron iv, something worth considering is the tiny/shallow focus tab the Nokton classic has. The one on the cron feels very natural; the one on the nokton quite fiddly imo. The optics are nice though.

I also notice the nokton produces bigger bokeh balls in the background.

• Thanks 1

While searching for a good copy of a Summilux pre-apsh.. the Nokton SC got my attention, new with warranty at a fraction of the price. I plan to use it mostly with my M-A with Tri-X and T-Max film. I currently have an FLE (great lens, but a bit on the bigger side..) and a Summicron V4 (amazing tiny lens for film photography, but I sometimes miss one additional stop that the FLE gives me..).

Anybody with both lenses (Summilux pre-asph and Nokton SC (or MC..)) can chime in with a quick comparison?

23 minutes ago, junix said:

While searching for a good copy of a Summilux pre-apsh.. the Nokton SC got my attention, new with warranty at a fraction of the price. I plan to use it mostly with my M-A with Tri-X and T-Max film. I currently have an FLE (great lens, but a bit on the bigger side..) and a Summicron V4 (amazing tiny lens for film photography, but I sometimes miss one additional stop that the FLE gives me..).

Anybody with both lenses (Summilux pre-asph and Nokton SC (or MC..)) can chime in with a quick comparison?

I have both. At F2 and beyond, I always prefer the Leica lens, which is less modern looking. 

At F1.4 on digital, I like the Nokton a lot, but I much prefer the pre asph, which has a totally unique look. 

At F1.4, I really dislike the Leica lens. The glow wide open doesn't produce a look I like at all on film. The nokton, however, is gorgeous wide open on film. 

I also prefer the flare of the nokton over the leica lens. The nokton has a beautiful ring flare that is completely manageable. 

Where the nokton falls short for me is in build quality. while its a nice lens, its not a leica, and I take more pleasure using the Summilux. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, junix said:

Nokton SC v1 has too much focus shift and flare for my tastes. Nokton SC v2 is much better from this viewpoint. At f/1.4 it shows some glow (halos around highlights) with less softness than the Summilux. It has also less flare generally so i use it like a modern Summilux so to speak. I use neither on film though. FWIW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lct said:

Nokton SC v1 has too much focus shift and flare for my tastes. Nokton SC v2 is much better from this viewpoint. At f/1.4 it shows some glow (halos around highlights) with less softness than the Summilux. It has also less flare generally so i use it like a modern Summilux so to speak. I use neither on film though. FWIW.

Thank you, I read that Nokton V2 should behave a bit better in terms of focus shift. I just ordered one.. hopefully I will "get a good copy" although on film a certain amount of focus shift is acceptable. It will be my first Voigtlander, hopefully not the last.. as the Heliar Classic 50mm is also very tempting.

I'm only slightly over 1 year in the Leica world.. and this will be only my 3rd 35mm. Being a "35 guy" I think I will stop at around 5-6. :)

Anyhow, reading the reviews, comments and photos I hope this lens will be exactly what I want for my B&W film photography.