Voigtländer 75mm Nokton 1.5 vs Leica 75mm Noctilux 1.25

Jan1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Noctilux 75mm f/1.25 ASPH @ 1.25 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The 75 Noctilux is f/1.25, so comparing to a f/1.5 is somehow comparing apples and pears. Of course the Nokton is lighter and cheaper, so economically speaking, the Nokton may be more bang for the bucks.

If your really want to save money and still want to get better results in the portrait focal range, buy a Sony A7CR with the Sigma DG DN Art 85/1.4...

As the 7artisans 75/1.25 was also mentioned here: Skip it, unless you only want to use it at f/2.8...

• Like 2

vor 39 Minuten schrieb 3D-Kraft.com:

The 75 Noctilux is f/1.25, so comparing to a f/1.5 is somehow comparing apples and pears. Of course the Nokton is lighter and cheaper, so economically speaking, the Nokton may be more bang for the bucks.

If your really want to save money and still want to get better results in the portrait focal range, buy a Sony A7CR with the Sigma DG DN Art 85/1.4...

As the 7artisans 75/1.25 was also mentioned here: Skip it, unless you only want to use it at f/2.8...

Did you work with the 75 Noctilux? 

6 hours ago, Jan1985 said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

thanks for posting. not much difference to my eyes. the CV has a touch more contrast and a cooler white balance and the noctilux has a slightly creamier bokeh. i assume the noctilux was shot wide open 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I guess that the Noctilux is sharper and has less CAs wide open and overall a better optical correction. But if you need a bunch of sterile test shots to make this visibly convincing. Than I think there is a point to the Voigtländer, which has more character, than I had expected.

Edited by Jan1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for posting this comparison.  I have the Voigtlander and have wondered if the savings made up for the difference.  I believe it does after seeing your tests.  One thing I noticed about my copy and also it seems your's may as well, have a bit of front focusing as indicated by the text on the table cloth.  I suppose some might say that focus is spot on but contrast increases more in that direction.  Since 75mm is probably my least used lens I believe the Nokton will do for me, just wish it had a focusing tab.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lct said:

Is there any Noctilux as compact as the corresponding Nokton? AA 50/1.2 perhaps? Just curious.

Quite different in size

vor 8 Stunden schrieb overexposed:

If money would not be an issue, i would still take the noct.

why? because its a noct!

yeah If I wouldn‘t have the need for the cash I would never think about selling it. Because its still a very special and unique lens and there was a reason why I wanted to have this lens. But now I need to find a more economic compromise with the Voigtländer.

• Like 2

vor 1 Stunde schrieb lct:

Is there any Noctilux as compact as the corresponding Nokton? AA 50/1.2 perhaps? Just curious.

I guess that the 50 1.2 Noct is the nearest in terms of weight compared to the Voigtländer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2024 at 3:50 PM, Jan1985 said:

yeah If I wouldn‘t have the need for the cash I would never think about selling it. Because its still a very special and unique lens and there was a reason why I wanted to have this lens. But now I need to find a more economic compromise with the Voigtländer.

You're right, it is a very special lens. Not for general use, but beautiful to my eye when used to good effect.

Looks like the Voigtlander could easily replace it to give the same general mood to the image. 
Financially, the Voightlander makes sense, at the Noctilux's price, new is ridiculous (if even available) and 2nd hand is as much a wealth store as it is a money shot lens.

I think the 75 Summicron Asph APO is a superb lens for the 2nd hand price, great on the M. I've always loved it's colours and 3d pop, with ergonomics and design in keeping with other M lenses. While great at what it does, it can't do what the Noctilux can do below f2.

Good luck with your decision, money can always be found elsewhere, great glass like this is a personal guilty pleasure, people won't notice the subtleties either way, just the general mood of a fast aperture lens!.

• Like 1

You are totally right. Last year It started with the selling the 0.95 Noctilux which was hard for me. And now the 75mm. If the renovations costs would for my flat wouldn‘t be that much I would never sell it.