... how to "mask" the Leica M10!

LeicaDreamer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody!

I need your technical and procedural knowledge! J

I am a happy owner of a Leica M10.

During my travels I often have the camera around my neck and I like to go unnoticed without eyes that scrutinize the camera body ... I would like to remove the Leica red logo and replace it with a "screw" like in the Leica M10-P.

Do any of you know how kindly I can do and what is the best iter to follow?

Thank you for your support and have a nice day!

Gino

Not possible. You can trade your M10 in for an M10-P or you can put some tape over the logo which is a popular option.

However people who know what Leica's look like won't be fooled and will still recognise your camera.

Personally I wouldn't bother, people who don't know Leica will still see that you have a camera around your neck. If they're bothered by that I doubt whether it's a Leica or a Canon will make any difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i don't like  tape  on a cam 😉

It´s possible to get black dots for the m9,

I think these will fit on the m10 too.

or you get some new red dots and paint them black( I did it  years ago on my m8 looked great)

Edited by Guest

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The black dot!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

People really don't care what camera you have, and Leica's are from another age anyway, you are more likely to get asked if you can still get film for your M10 or if it was your dads camera.

It's the photographer that should make himself invisible, not just his camera. If you don't want to be noticed don't make eye contact and pretend to look at something other than what you want to photograph, don't immediately review photographs on the LCD and hold the camera to your eye for as short a time as possible. These all work whether it's a small Leica or a large DSLR. 

As for the camera, the more you look like 'Accessory Man' the more you will be noticed, it's the overall picture people take in, not a tiny red dot (which you could cover with tape).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, 250swb said:

People really don't care what camera you have, and Leica's are from another age anyway, you are more likely to get asked if you can still get film for your M10 or if it was your dads camera.

It's the photographer that should make himself invisible, not just his camera. If you don't want to be noticed don't make eye contact and pretend to look at something other than what you want to photograph, don't immediately review photographs on the LCD and hold the camera to your eye for as short a time as possible. These all work whether it's a small Leica or a large DSLR. 

As for the camera, the more you look like 'Accessory Man' the more you will be noticed, it's the overall picture people take in, not a tiny red dot (which you could cover with tape).

Thanks a lot for your constructive answer! I would think about your consideration.

Best regards and enjoy shooting!

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:22 PM, Jeffry Abt said:

The black dot!

Thanks Jeffry!

Personally I don't like this solution, but I appreciate your answer.

Regards!

• Thanks 1

:ph34r:Just marked my m10-d with my wife's eyeliner(under permission).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

camera? what's that?...I don't believe that there's much cause for worry.  A sneak thief will probably go for your iPhone 

That said, I use a pac safe strap that is cut proof...I use it because it is very comfortable and inexpensive 

I second the black dot.

• Like 4

Rule #2: Avoid Leica's. They are hard to sell or fence and usually the numbers are known and registered.

The best way to avoid attention is to carry the camera in a paper  bag with a bottle of gin next to it and dress accordingly. Don't shave , change underwear or shower for a week or more. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Rule #2: Avoid Leica's. They are hard to sell or fence and usually the numbers are known and registered.

The best way to avoid attention is to carry the camera in a paper  bag with a bottle of gin next to it and dress accordingly. Don't shave or shower for five days. 

<<  Don't shave for five days. >>

I got that covered.

I find this whole taping-up thing completely paranoid..Thieves are ether after something they can sell, in which case any black box with a lens - and preferably many buttons- will do, or they are after specific brands, in which case they will recognize a Leica, tape or not,

The actual price of the gear is completely irrelevant. The question is what the fence will pay - and a Leica won't fetch much compared to any Canon.

• Like 1