Issues with the firmware update on Leica M10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, 

I've recently bought a second hand Leica m10 type 3656 from a store and I wanted to update the firmware.

- I went on the Leica official website and downloaded the latest version: M10-3.22.23.38-Customer.FW 

- After doing a format of the SD, I dragged the downloaded file in the memory card (not in the DCIM folder)

- When I finally put the SD card in the camera the firmware camera option in the menu is greyed out at the version 10.20.27.20

Any tips for this? I already tried with other sd cards and I also reset the camera to the factory settings, but nothing.

Thank you in advance!

Michele 

The steps you've taken should have worked.  If I remember correctly, I had trouble one time with an update and someone suggested downloading directly to the root directory of a clean formatted sd card and giving it a couple of minutes to finish, then checking the file size to make certain.  That time it worked successfully.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Have you tried formatting the SD camera in-camera first, and then on your PC/Mac copy the new firmware to the root (of the SD card) and then inset and update the camera? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RMF said:

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Have you tried formatting the SD camera in-camera first, and then on your PC/Mac copy the new firmware to the root (of the SD card) and then inset and update the camera? 

This is my favourite answer so far ... 😉

Edited by rogxwhit

Posted (edited)

@Michele Cattani Sorry, just a silly thought - are you sure you do not have the M10-R? I am pretty sure your old firmware 10.20.27.20 was a firmware for the -R series from 2020 adding perspective control... In that case a different firmware update file 30.22.23.34 would be the proper one. I just cannot understand why the camera would not acknowledge the update otherwise... Maybe try downloading the update file I mentioned and try again, nothing can go wrong anyway.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

@Michele Cattani Sorry, just a silly thought - are you sure you do not have the M10-R? I am pretty sure your old firmware 10.20.27.20 was a firmware for the -R series from 2020 adding perspective control... In that case a different firmware update file 30.22.23.34 would be the proper one. I just cannot understand why the camera would not acknowledge the update otherwise... Maybe try downloading the update file I mentioned and try again, nothing can go wrong anyway.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This list is put together poorly and deficiently. M10 MONOCHROM Wetzlar is just a special edition and does not use own special firmware (nor does M10-R black paint, missing from here, M10-P Safari, missing from here, M10 Zagato, missing from here, M10-P Reporter, missing from here etc. etc.), but M10-P ASC 100 (also missing from here), even though a special edition, uses own firmware.

Edited by Al Brown

Yes, you are right. Though the link does in no way show any official list for firmware downloads. 

Michele, I can only advise that you double check which model you have. With a present firmware 10.20….it cannot be a „simple“M10 for which you downloaded the firmware. Better delete this download as it never will fit your camera. When you are really sure which model you have, go to the Leica website and look whether you really need an upgrade.

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

This list is put together poorly and deficiently. M10 MONOCHROM Wetzlar is just a special edition and does not use own special firmware (nor does M10-R black paint, missing from here, M10-P Safari, missing from here, M10 Zagato, missing from here, M10-P Reporter, missing from here etc. etc.), but M10-P ASC 100 (also missing from here), even though a special edition, uses own firmware.

Blame Red Dot cameras...