M10 -what tripods do you use?

Ozytripper

After using the RRS plate for years with various ball heads, including the Markins on my Gitzo Traveller CF tripod, I considered another RRS plate for the M10. However, I was not crazy about removing the bottom plate and attaching the RRS plate to the M10 via the thumb screw vs. the quick release of the M9. Seemed like more work than the M9 attachment method as well as having to keep track of the camera's bottom plate. Plus, there is the bulk of the ARCA Swiss plate altering the haptics of the M10 with the normal bottom plate.

Instead, I invested in the Novoflex Magic Ball Mini Free system. It is simple and quick to attach the blue ball to tripod bush in the bottom of the M10, and then engage it with the other part of the ball head already attached to the tripod. Less work than removing the regular Leica bottom plate, stowing it somewhere in a pocket or your bag and then screwing on the RRS plate in its place. The Novoflex ball head works really well and it is very smooth. Easy to lock down or adjust the drag on the ball head receiver. The ball engages the receiver in a very positive fashion, and the lock or release function slider is easy and intuitive to use. It is a beautifully made piece of gear, consistent with the Leica. The Magic Ball fits well on the Gitzo Traveller tripod and doesn't interfere with the Gitzo's folding function. The accessory cup and leg is another novel item and appears to work well, although I have not really used it. The blue ball even works well as a grip when not mounted on the tripod. I would highly recommend the Novoflex Magic Ball Mini Free. The only drawback is that it is a pricey item.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Seems quite clever. Certainly its not impossible with a standard arca mount to think you in and find the camera on the floor, but not having seen this mechanism... so I'll ask... is there any way that one can make a simple mistake and have the ball separate from the head accidentally?

Seems quite clever. Certainly its not impossible with a standard arca mount to think you in and find the camera on the floor, but not having seen this mechanism... so I'll ask... is there any way that one can make a simple mistake and have the ball separate from the head accidentally?

Anything can happen of course. When you engage the ball into the receiver, it gives an audible click when it is seated properly. You can then lock the ball into the receiver or leave it loose. The locking lever will lock on the ball either way. Pretty slick system.

• Like 1

There is also the precursor to this head which does not let you remove the ball from the socket. They still produce it, and it, too, is terrific.

It's an ingenious solution to the problem of what to do with the ball, and how to avoid losing it.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got the mefoto for travel trying to downsize and found it is not that stable when extended to full height. As you have found your to be the same way. You get what you pay for in some cases.

Weight is the biggest issue for me now. 

That's why I traded the whole Canon system for a Fuji System (now only keeping the mid to long lenses)

Wide to low tele is Leica

Apart  from the 600g tripod for travel I also bought the bigger brother at 1kg. The extra 400g does makes a difference when one has to climb inclines on a photo shoot (for me anyway). So the 1kg tripod sees little use even though it is much more stable

• Like 1

Oh just fount this photo of the Fotopro Desktop Tripod - the one that convince me to buy it. I wonder why it is only rated at 2kg load bearing on the instruction leaflet when it can take the weight of an 85kg man standing on it?

I am tempted to try it myself :)

The big issue with tripod specs and demos (in my limited experience) is that they often miss 'real life situations'. eg. tilting the (man's) weight outside the base of support, which would result in a crash. In my experience, using a Hasselblad, tilting the camera on the tripod can cause the ball to slip, on smaller tripods. My full size Manfrotto with 470 vernier head is fantastic, but would never travel far with the combo.

Still looking for an economical but reliable ball head, for my Benbo weird tripod. Maybe that is an oxymoron!

• Like 2

After using the RRS plate for years with various ball heads, including the Markins on my Gitzo Traveller CF tripod, I considered another RRS plate for the M10. However, I was not crazy about removing the bottom plate and attaching the RRS plate to the M10 via the thumb screw vs. the quick release of the M9. Seemed like more work than the M9 attachment method as well as having to keep track of the camera's bottom plate. Plus, there is the bulk of the ARCA Swiss plate altering the haptics of the M10 with the normal bottom plate.

Instead, I invested in the Novoflex Magic Ball Mini Free system. It is simple and quick to attach the blue ball to tripod bush in the bottom of the M10, and then engage it with the other part of the ball head already attached to the tripod. Less work than removing the regular Leica bottom plate, stowing it somewhere in a pocket or your bag and then screwing on the RRS plate in its place. The Novoflex ball head works really well and it is very smooth. Easy to lock down or adjust the drag on the ball head receiver. The ball engages the receiver in a very positive fashion, and the lock or release function slider is easy and intuitive to use. It is a beautifully made piece of gear, consistent with the Leica. The Magic Ball fits well on the Gitzo Traveller tripod and doesn't interfere with the Gitzo's folding function. The accessory cup and leg is another novel item and appears to work well, although I have not really used it. The blue ball even works well as a grip when not mounted on the tripod. I would highly recommend the Novoflex Magic Ball Mini Free. The only drawback is that it is a pricey item.

index.jpg

index.php.jpg

I have both systems you describe but while I like the Novoflex I much prefer the RRS M10 base. I only use it when I’m using a tripod, preferring the simplicity of the M10’s own base over everything else in hand-held use.

But the RRS base is the best combination between simplicity and security on a tripod I’ve found, particularly in combination with the peerless Arca Swiss P0 which to my mind is the best head for an M camera ever invented.

• Like 3

Oh just fount this photo of the Fotopro Desktop Tripod - the one that convince me to buy it. I wonder why it is only rated at 2kg load bearing on the instruction leaflet when it can take the weight of an 85kg man standing on it?

I am tempted to try it myself :)

I can have a photo like that without much weight on the tripod at all. Just lightly jump up and touch the top of the tripod with one feet. Photograph doesn't tell whole story in a dynamic situation. Video will.

Not suggesting this is what this guy is doing but I will take these pictures with a pinch of salt.

...particularly in combination with the peerless Arca Swiss P0 which to my mind is the best head for an M camera ever invented.

I currently have the RRS BH40, but I've been thinking about this head for a while.  As much as I like it, the lever-less design of the P0 seems like a better solution to me. I assume that the Arca Swiss quick release or flip flop release  (not the QS version) is compatible with the RRS plate, but as there seem to be a few owners here I thought I'd ask to see if anyone is using that combo. 

I can have a photo like that without much weight on the tripod at all. Just lightly jump up and touch the top of the tripod with one feet. Photograph doesn't tell whole story in a dynamic situation. Video will.

Not suggesting this is what this guy is doing but I will take these pictures with a pinch of salt.

Valid point. Made me think that I may have been suckered so I stood on it last night just to make sure. I am less than 85 kg but it held my weight. Not easy to stand on the small plate though  :)

Buy ERL has a point too. There is a difference between taking a direct vertical weight and being able to hold a heavy setup at an angle. At least those tiny legs can take such weight

In fact to date all my ball heads tend to "drop" slightly after I have tightened it and then letting go of the lens. Including the Unique ball head 

Valid point. Made me think that I may have been suckered so I stood on it last night just to make sure. I am less than 85 kg but it held my weight. Not easy to stand on the small plate though :)

Buy ERL has a point too. There is a difference between taking a direct vertical weight and being able to hold a heavy setup at an angle. At least those tiny legs can take such weight

In fact to date all my ball heads tend to "drop" slightly after I have tightened it and then letting go of the lens. Including the Unique ball head

Holding a heavy setup has more to do with ball head (bigger the better) than the legs.

• Like 2

Holding a heavy setup has more to do with ball head (bigger the better) than the legs.

agree totally. Hence my point about all my ball head slipping a little when I let go after tightening

Still looking for one that doesn't slip for my longer lenses (fuji 100-400mm plus 1.4x and Xt2) but light enough to carry around.

Any suggestions?

I do have a gimbal head but weighs 2.5kg by itself. Too heavy to walk long distances with (plus a 1.5 to 2kg tripod)

agree totally. Hence my point about all my ball head slipping a little when I let go after tightening

Still looking for one that doesn't slip for my longer lenses (fuji 100-400mm plus 1.4x and Xt2) but light enough to carry around.

Any suggestions?

I do have a gimbal head but weighs 2.5kg by itself. Too heavy to walk long distances with (plus a 1.5 to 2kg tripod)

You may want to look into one of these ball heads: https://www.acratech.net/ballheads/gp/gp

they weight .45kg.

When I had a DSLR rig with the gitzo legs It held D700/w grip/battery pack, 70-200, SB900 vertically. Had a Arca P0 at one time and downsized to the acratech GP for the weight and size.

The GP should be strong enough to hold your set up. Just the price point may not may not be pocket friendly.

• Like 2

You may want to look into one of these ball heads: https://www.acratech.net/ballheads/gp/gp

they weight .45kg.

When I had a DSLR rig with the gitzo legs It held D700/w grip/battery pack, 70-200, SB900 vertically. Had a Arca P0 at one time and downsized to the acratech GP for the weight and size.

The GP should be strong enough to hold your set up. Just the price point may not may not be pocket friendly.

My friend has the same and it works well with his heavy Canon setup. For me it is overkill since I hardly use long lenses.

• Like 2

I use 1 of the Novoflex Magic Ball set ups with my M10. I am very satisfied with the Head and their Aluminum legs.

• Like 3