What tripod for a M11?

mkur

• 9 months later...

Anything in carbon fibre that can cope with the load and the environment, extends high enough or low enough and does not rely on a centre column, especially a geared one, for height adjustment.

Gitzo in different sizes with Arca-Swiss heads do the job for me, but then I have absolutely zero interest in a 911.

• Like 1

I have a Gitzo 0145 for travel. I haven't had a digital M for some time, but I used it a lot with a CL and it would be fine with a M. 

I can recommend FLM tripods which don't often get a mention, but are good alternatives if you are looking at Gitzos, IMO. Many FLM tripods don't have a centre pole, and have longer leg sections than other brands (longer/fewer sections = greater rigidity for the height, or taller for the same rigidity, at the expense of longer collapsed length). I have a carbon fibre one for large format.

I have several heads of different sizes. Of most use for a M are: Markins Q ballhead for lightweight/compact travel with the Gitzo; a Novoflex Magicbalance levelling head for lightweight backpacking with the FLM.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 11:09 PM, Ouroboros said:

Anything in carbon fibre that can cope with the load and the environment, extends high enough or low enough and does not rely on a centre column, especially a geared one, for height adjustment.

Gitzo in different sizes with Arca-Swiss heads do the job for me, but then I have absolutely zero interest in a 911.

i agree with the carbon fibre thingy... i used the old gitzo traveller and depending on the situation i switched the ballhead between manfrotto with it's unique clamp system, markins when i want to stay arca and lightweights and RRS bh05 this one a little too OP for M, i have the RRS L Plate for my m10 

funnily the RRS tripod i have only used for scanning my negs.. lol coz it's too heavy from my SLR days canon 1Dx

Edited by jakontil

On 1/6/2023 at 8:54 AM, ianforber said:

I quite fancy this one but as I’m outside the US, I’ll wait to see if it graduates from Kickstarter and is available in the UK https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heipi/most-lightweight-and-compact-3-in-1-travel-tripod

If you like that, it is a complete rip-off of the Peak Travel tripod. You can buy that one now and avoid copycats. 

For me, tripods can be as personal as cameras or lenses.  I'm a traditionalist and have been using Gitzo tripods for decades from massive tripods for video and large format to smaller travel types.  If you are shooting a Leica, and part of the reason is you love the simplicity and build quality, a Gitzo is one to consider.  If you appreciate more elegant designs, then the Peak Travel is a great tripod as is the up-and-coming Colorado Tripod Company tripods.... when they get more in. 

24 minutes ago, doc steel said:

A dumb question.

The M11 requires the same tripods as every other M camera ever succsessful used.

Exactly right.

I am interpreting the question as which question for an M. Although I’m not the OP, I’m interested in the views of others because my previous camera had a pivoting rear screen so I was happy to have a small tripod. Now having an M -and a bad back - I need a tripod that can raise the camera closer to eye level but which is still light enough to take on hikes. My current tripod (a small Sirui) is not stable enough for long exposures when extended. I’ve tried to use Fotos which works but just isn’t the same user experience. 

16 hours ago, DenverSteve said:

Hmmmmm....... whether criticism or insult, it's still rude and inappropriate.  If it doesn't interest you, pass it by. 

Funny thing is that the original post was tongue in cheek, with that picture of the wooden tripod from Leica Geosystems. So it's a bit ironic for someone who didn't get the obvious joke to be making accusations of dumbness.

Anyway - back on topic: I tried a lot of travel tripods. The Peak Design while very beautiful didn't feel that stable, and the lack of panoramic ability was a show stopper. So I ended up with the Gitzo Traveler S1. A little bit bigger but still very portable, much more solid, and I much prefer the head. I have a bigger tripod as well when portability is not a priority, but the Traveler is sufficient most of the time and is very suitable for an M camera.