M10 -what tripods do you use?

Ozytripper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a sucker for gadgets - sometimes and I can't seem to resist a product with a USP (unique selling proposition

I have had a Velbon Tripod since my first SLR in 1973 but was looking to upgrade recently.

Just bought this China Made Desk top tripod as I left my Leica Desktop in Melbourne. Reason for the purchase decision? Apart from being very flexible - 3 height settings, well made and well priced (compared to the well known western Brands) I was shown a photo of an 85kg man standing on it despite the fact that it was only rated at 2kg. Also comes with a leather holster (looks like a pistol holster)

This is  my second Fotopro brand tripod. This first one is my TL74C with a Unique Ball head. This setup is stable enough for 25kg (if I'd remembered correctly) should be stable enough for my M10 :) Bought the optional hard case as well -good for transportation as check in luggage. 

My third tripod is a carbon fibre travel tripod weighing at only 600g. Lightest tripod I could find that has reasonable height. It is not very stable when fully extended. More useable with the centre column removed but I lose some height then. The other alternative is to use the 10 second timer to avoid shake caused by activating the shutter trigger. This only comes in a sling bag.

Photos of the Fotopro tripods attached (Disclaimer: I have no association with any of the tripod brands mentioned)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ozytripper

My 600g Sirui tripod

• Like 1

I use a Gitzo 0545T carbon fibre tripod:

It came with an Arca-Swiss compatible ballhead and plate: 

When it is folded, it is extremely light and compact. Just over 35cm (slightly more than 14 inches long!), and weighs just over 1kg. It supports 10kg of equipment, which is plenty for the M10. Yet it deploys to about 130cm and is plenty sturdy. 

I could potentially save some weight by replacing the ballhead with something lighter. 

• Like 1

Similar:

Gitzo GT1545T Traveller (and it's very convenient over-the-shoulder strap).

Returned the outstanding Acratec GP-SS head because the legs didn't fold correctly over it thus compromising it's compactness.

Went back to the supplied head which works just fine.

I chose the 1 series tripods because I wanted a bit more height than the 0 series offered.

• Like 1

Here is what I use. Cheap, old, and defies gravity.

• Like 1

I use the Gitzo GT0545T Series 0 Traveler Carbon Fiber Tripod with my M-D.  It's light, folds and travels well, and is very sturdy with a small RRS ball head and the Leica.  I recommend it.  I also have a tall Gitzo Carbon Fiber tripod I've used for about 17 years.  It travels poorly though as it doesn't fold small.  I would use that when convenient as it is taller and really stable.  Over the decades I've used less expensive tripods and find these Gitzo Carbon Fiber units to be well worth the cost and they stand up to very heavy usage.

Edited by DaveNC
  • Like 1

An old 3-section carbon fibre Gitzo with an Arca Swiss P0 head, the best head for a Leica I've ever used. When using the tripod I put an M10-specific RRS L- base on the camera. And an old-fashioned Nikon cable release. It's the perfect set up for me.

A new Gitzo would be lighter by maybe a third but I don't carry it around very much.

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 1

I am a sucker for gadgets - sometimes and I can't seem to resist a product with a USP (unique selling proposition

I have had a Velbon Tripod since my first SLR in 1973 but was looking to upgrade recently.

Just bought this China Made Desk top tripod as I left my Leica Desktop in Melbourne. Reason for the purchase decision? Apart from being very flexible - 3 height settings, well made and well priced (compared to the well known western Brands) I was shown a photo of an 85kg man standing on it despite the fact that it was only rated at 2kg. Also comes with a leather holster (looks like a pistol holster)

This is  my second Fotopro brand tripod. This first one is my TL74C with a Unique Ball head. This setup is stable enough for 25kg (if I'd remembered correctly) should be stable enough for my M10 :) Bought the optional hard case as well -good for transportation as check in luggage. 

My third tripod is a carbon fibre travel tripod weighing at only 600g. Lightest tripod I could find that has reasonable height. It is not very stable when fully extended. More useable with the centre column removed but I lose some height then. The other alternative is to use the 10 second timer to avoid shake caused by activating the shutter trigger. This only comes in a sling bag.

Photos of the Fotopro tripods attached (Disclaimer: I have no association with any of the tripod brands mentioned)

I've got a Gitzo G1327, Mefoto and leica desktop tripod. Have had the Gitzo with arca tech ballhead and leica for a long time. Got the mefoto for travel trying to downsize and found it is not that stable when extended to full height. As you have found your to be the same way. You get what you pay for in some cases.

I use use the gitzo more often than not when a tripod is needed. It's a little much to carry around, yet it is solid when it is put to use.

• Like 1

I now own 4 x Gitzos. My oldest was bought secondhand in 1980 for £38 I think. Its still working fine despite a lot of use which has included putting the lower leg section in the sea. Its just starting to crack around the top leg pivots. Gitzos are very robust and long lived tripods. Need I say more?