What tripod for a M11?

mkur

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We have had bag threads and visoflex threads, so let`s start another one discussing an importing accessory for the discerning M11 user that aims for the highest IQ possible – tripods.

While there are certainly happy Benro & Gitzo users out there, in my opinion a Leica camera should be used on a Leica tripod. Unfortunately, currently Lecia the camera company does not offer any tripods. However, their sister company, Leica Geosystems, has in their portfolio some of the finest tripods available – beautifully crafted, ascetic in form, with industry leading stability and torsional rigidity. Pure and simple das Wesentliche in tripods.

Those tripods, good enough for a theodolite, should also provide a stable platform for a M11 with a 35APO.

Some might see the high-visibility colors as a nuisance, however in my opinion it is a positive. Using those tripods a M11 street shooter can masquerade as a surveyor and seamlessly blend into the surroundings – no need to wait for a M11 stealth edition. And 60MP provide ample room for cropping so there is no need to get close to the subjects.

The only downside is that it might not fit a 911 trunk easily.

Thoughts?

I am pondering precisely this question. My current tripod is a Sirui travel tripod - excellent for city travel shots etc but not so much for anything else. I don’t use the flimsy centre column which means the tripod height only comes up just above waist level. This was fine when I used an Olympus OM-D with a rear screen that I could look down on but doesn’t work for a rangefinder with a rear screen that doesn’t swivel

Main use case will be long exposure and infra red shots taken while hiking in the countryside. Obviously, there’s the Gitzo Traveller (Series 2?) but I’ve seen some Leofoto tripods that get good reviews. Peak Design is also an option but I’m not sure it will be tall enough (I’m 6’).

Any ideas? 

There are only two types of tripod. Ones that hold the camera steady, and ones that don't. To hold a camera steady the tripod should be rigid and stable. The first can be achieved with lightweight materials such as magnesium and carbon fibre. The second generable requires a bit of weight. So they oppose each other. Then there is the question of design, ergonomic and longevity. The tripod linked to in the OP is not primarily intended for photography and the 'suspect' area will be the claping section which 'locks' the legs together which is an old design (I have a Gandolfi tripod with similar locks) and fiddly and subject to wear. It may also need an adapter for the head to fit on (I'm not familiar with level fittings). And whilst far from impossible, I'd actually be doubtful that its actually made by Leica Geosystems as there are many makers able to build and supply such tripods. I've used Gitzo for over 40 years and my original is on loan still being used. Gitzo have a very good reputation for a very good reason, even if they are now part of Manfrotto and made in Italy rather than France. For best rigidity and stability the chunkier leg models are best. For lightweigh the spindly legged versions. I use both depending on what I'm doing. Many Leica dealers sell Gitzo.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LeonS said:

I have a ries a100-2 on order to support the m11 and my 8x20. If it is strong enough for the 8x20, ought to be enough the m11 bsi sensor!

8x20, now THAT should produce some resolution and exquisite tonality!

FWIW, I’ve used a Gitzo GT 1542 for a decade, for my Ms, SL2, and also for the 5x4.

Remarkably I’ve never had any issues with the final capture, despite the tripod’s very light weight.

The leaf shutters on the large format camera with minimal vibration probably help a lot in that regard.

Still, I sometimes miss the Gitzo Systematic tripod I previously owned, more for it being (1) much taller and (2) much more reassuring in the sense of being hard to tip over due its heavier weight if one accidentally knocks it.

If I lived in the US, I’d likely also consider one on the RRS tripods, which seem to have a very strong reputation.

Edited by Jon Warwick

It is not just the tripod the matters, as with cameras, it is how you use it.  For the ones with several leg sections, unless extended to maximum length, the most rigidity is achieved when each section is extended the same amount and the sections overlap as much as possible, rather than extending some sections completely and others not at all or only a little.

You can easily try it yourself and see how rigid your own tripod is with each configuration.  It is, of course, much slower to set up, and less convenient than the normal way of setting up a tripod, but for those shots which do not require maximum extension, but do need maximum rigidity, I recommend it.

I have plenty of very very good tripods. Probably the one I'll use most is my Gitzo traveller with a geared head, because I like geared heads. Unless weight is critical. Then I have that one they did on the kickstarter which is a really nice little tripod. I have a 2 series and 3 series as well but if I'm prepared to carry those I'll probably have my GFX with me.

My main issue is the choice of plate. I'm not getting the Leica hand grip. Most tripod plates block the battery/card switch. This annoys me. I also use the QD system for my camera straps, so that means RRS plates, generally.

With the M11, I do like the new battery. I also like the USBC charging. The downside is that the RRS plate for the M10/R/M/P was a perfect solution for a tripod user like me. I am really hoping RRS can do something ingenious that'll allow me access to the battery and also have an L bracket on it. So for now I'll use a generic L plate, hoping that RRS come up with something better.

Gordon

1 hour ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I am really hoping RRS can do something ingenious that'll allow me access to the battery and also have an L bracket on it. So for now I'll use a generic L plate, hoping that RRS come up with something better.

I would think that they would use a design similar to the SL2 L-bracket, which deals with the same battery configuration (albeit not the same SD card location).

Jeff

5 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I have plenty of very very good tripods. Probably the one I'll use most is my Gitzo traveller with a geared head, because I like geared heads. Unless weight is critical. Then I have that one they did on the kickstarter which is a really nice little tripod. I have a 2 series and 3 series as well but if I'm prepared to carry those I'll probably have my GFX with me.

My main issue is the choice of plate. I'm not getting the Leica hand grip. Most tripod plates block the battery/card switch. This annoys me. I also use the QD system for my camera straps, so that means RRS plates, generally.

With the M11, I do like the new battery. I also like the USBC charging. The downside is that the RRS plate for the M10/R/M/P was a perfect solution for a tripod user like me. I am really hoping RRS can do something ingenious that'll allow me access to the battery and also have an L bracket on it. So for now I'll use a generic L plate, hoping that RRS come up with something better.

Gordon

FWIW, I received a questionnaire from RRS where I could pick one of three possible M11 L-bracket implementations. Unfortunately, it was not clear from the images how the battery and USB access will be solved. 

21 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Gordon

I don't know about the M11 (still trying to justify the cost), but I have a plastic Peak Designs Area Swiss compatible capture 'plate' that fits nicely on my (digital) CL.  It measures about 4cm by 2.8 cm.  It would probably ok for an M camera.

23 hours ago, tedwill said:

I am curious about the Peak Design Travel Tripod and the M11 with the Handgrip.  The handgrip is arca Swiss compatible.  Is anyone using this combination?

I will be in a couple of weeks yes!

23 hours ago, tedwill said:

I am curious about the Peak Design Travel Tripod and the M11 with the Handgrip.  The handgrip is arca Swiss compatible.  Is anyone using this combination?

It works well, once you remove the two stopper-screws from PD Tripod head.