I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, 28framelines said:

Dang that's sharp.

Also, I realized I can post more than 1 post a day! So, I have another M-A question. For Glasses-wearers, is it clearer to see the 28mm framelines than with other M cameras because its the most up-to-date, non-metered camera?

I think you can post so many as you want.

No miracle in M-A viewfinder, as every x0.72 VF M before, the 28mm "complete" frame lines can not be viewed with comfort, less so with glasses.

Viewing is clear with best contrast in VF but not really "wider" than older x0.72 Leica M.

As other M to "see" them (28mm lines when present), just look ahead without looking at the frames, in my view it's the best way to frame with 28mm lens.

Better viewing/using with small 28 lens than 1.4/28 or 2/28.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I think you can post so many as you want.

No miracle in M-A viewfinder, as every x0.72 VF M before, the 28mm "complete" frame lines can not be viewed with comfort, less so with glasses.

Viewing is clear with best contrast in VF but not really "wider" than older x0.72 Leica M.

As other M to "see" them (28mm lines when present), just look ahead without looking at the frames, in my view it's the best way to frame with 28mm lens.

Better viewing/using with small 28 lens than 1.4/28 or 2/28.

I just watched a RedDotForums video on YouTube, and David Farkas basically said "if you wear glasses, what you see through the viewfinder on a 28mm is what you see, even if you dont see the framelines". So I guess if I got an M-A with the Elmarit, I just wouldnt worry about Framelines

• Like 1

12 hours ago, monther said:

I have a black M-A and I love its stealth but all my lenses are chrome go figure.

The difference in practical use definitely seems utterly miniscule, I could care less what colour the lens is. 

These are all beautiful objects and the M-A (Typ 127 whatever that means???) is absolutely right up there, a superb thing in and of itself. 

The best practical benefit for a silver chrome I read was it absorbs less heat in the sun.  Not sure how much less but it does make sense. 

10 hours ago, 28framelines said:

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses! I don’t think I can respond to each one currently given I think I only get one message per day as a new user, but I appreciate the help! I think the more I think about it, the more I’m drawn to silver chrome. @junix I hear you when it comes to “friendlier” responses - it seems people actually get curious in a happier sense, oddly, watching friends use silver Leica cameras. It probably all comes out in the wash anyway (as others have stated). I guess in a month or two I’ll let y’all know which direction I went! Haha

actually, I’ll finish this message with another question: anyone know how often Leica produces the M-A? Like, after ordering the thing, how long did people wait to receive theirs?

Carrying a black chrome camera is less conspicuous but once you put it to your eye and someone knows you are focusing on them it makes no difference.  My 2 cents.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, RayD28 said:

Carrying a black chrome camera is less conspicuous but once you put it to your eye and someone knows you are focusing on them it makes no difference.  My 2 cents.  

Yup.  Every time I raise my black chrome M-A to my eye someone notices.  The 'stealth' stuff about Leicas is great marketing, but that's all it is.

Black chrome or silver, just pick the one you think looks better to you.  There's no real practical advantage to one over the other.

Edited by logan2z
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, logan2z said:

Yup.  Every time I raise my black chrome M-A to my eye someone notices.  The 'stealth' stuff about Leicas is great marketing, but that's all it is.

Of course, if your Leica has a red Leica Logo (does not apply to the M-A), you can put a piece of black tape over it and the camera then becomes completely invisible. 🤣

• Haha 2

Three times in the last week, I've had guys spot my black chrome M-A from fifteen to twenty feet and ask, "Is that a Leica?" It's just hanging around my neck, and I'm wearing a black Polo pedestrian camo. Ha, ha. One guy was Ukranian, but he spoke Leica.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Three times in the last week, I've had guys spot my black chrome M-A from fifteen to twenty feet and ask, "Is that a Leica?" It's just hanging around my neck, and I'm wearing a black Polo pedestrian camo. Ha, ha. One guy was Ukranian, but he spoke Leica.

+1 Funny enough I get more "Is that a leica?" with my black M-A than with the silver M7. One could say: The M-A is the distillation of everything leica, it doesn't need any labeling to be spotted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Normally I do not like grips, they disturb the clean look of the camera. But this one works pretty well when you have the camera in your hands for the whole day. Easy and fast to remove

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats to those who just picked up the M-A. Great choice in the days when most cameras have enough computing power to practically fly an airplane 🙂. I love the M-A so much I got both the silver and black chrome. It's so deliberating to use a pure mechanical camera free from LCDs and batteries. Here's my black chrome M-A with a 50 APO Cron and a photo that was taken with it on Kodak Tri X, developed in Paranol S. 

• Like 15

I have seen plenty of Leica M-A owners who use 50’APO, which the lens is designed for high-resolution digital bodies rather than film cameras. At the same time, I know the lens proves such its unique look in film that we need not buy another body to see the boundaries of the lens.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, hiphopopotamus said:

Is that a Twin Peaks soft-release, or do you just like chevrons?!?

Either way, it's awesome. 

Nope.

I had seen the chevron soft-release on Artisan Obscura’s website before I decided to buy a Leica M-A. But when I got the camera, it was discontinued... I asked for a bespoke production of those chevrons, and we agreed to build the final edition of 3-chevron. I gave the both to my dear friends, and the last reserved for me.

Last month I bought my first brand new Leica, after some 45 years of Leica use. I got a black chrome M-A from Leica Miami. (They still have a chrome one last time I looked.) It cost $5195. What a treat. I love how completely devoid of any signage. Just all black. I paired it with a nice VOIGTLANDER 50mm f/1.5 II M Vintage Line Aspherical in Black. Heretically speaking, they were made for each other. Relearning my Sunny 16.

• Like 6

My Leica End-game setup.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1