I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got back from another visit to Leica. I tested all the 35 and 50 Summicrons and Summiluxes (minus the 50 APO due to price). I decided on the 50 Lux ASPH. I'm afraid I made that decision, though, based on tradition (and, of course, the lens' reputation). I'm afraid I should have gone with the 35 Summicron, but that may be because I'm still intimidated by manual focusing so I'm looking for easier zone focusing.

Edited to add:

I know I sound like a complete beginner, but I've been shooting digital camera for many years. I'm just entering this new phase of photography stripped of all ego and with complete humility. I'm trying to rectify literal years of desire and internet research with the actual reality of shooting a Leica M film camera.

Edited by malligator
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, malligator said:

I'm leaning toward a 35 'cron. I'd like a Summilux, but I feel that making the camera as small and light as possible to encourage me to carry it around more will be a huge benefit. I always wanted to take my Nikon DSLR with me when I went out, but I very rarely did.

Regardless, my first lens will be a 35 or 50 of some sort. I've been walking around looking through both frame lines to see which one feels more natural. I like that the 35 takes up a good portion of the VF, but still has some room around it. I like that the 50 is very easy to see through the VF even while wearing glasses.

FWIW, the lens I use most on my M-A is the 35mm Summarit/2.4.  I think it's a great lens for the $$$ but I guess it didn't sell terribly well since Leica recently discontinued the entire Summarit line. 

I occasionally think about 'upgrading' to a Summicron but everyone I mention that to tells me I'm wasting my money as it's really a lateral move (except when shooting wide open, which I almost never do). 

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Edited by logan2z
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, malligator said:

Just got back from another visit to Leica. I tested all the 35 and 50 Summicrons and Summiluxes (minus the 50 APO due to price). I decided on the 50 Lux ASPH. I'm afraid I made that decision, though, based on tradition (and, of course, the lens' reputation). I'm afraid I should have gone with the 35 Summicron, but that may be because I'm still intimidated by manual focusing so I'm looking for easier zone focusing.

Edited to add:

I know I sound like a complete beginner, but I've been shooting digital camera for many years. I'm just entering this new phase of photography stripped of all ego and with complete humility. I'm trying to rectify literal years of desire and internet research with the actual reality of shooting a Leica M film camera.

I use a 35 (C-Biogon) on my M6 almost exclusively for the reasons you cite - small size and better zone focus capability. The latter, in particular, is one of the great pleasures of Ms, I feel.

I'm not trying to change your mind, but if you feel you've erred, can't you return the 50?

John

Edited by johnwolf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, malligator said:

Edited to add:

Great choice.  Really great choice.

It’s one lens I am unlikely to ever sell.  I have a silver chrome M-A (and Monochrom) and a silver chrome 50 Summilux ASPH (heavier than the black ones as they’re made of brass) - it’s a fantastic combination, and nicely priced (for Leica).  Every M camera needs a good fifty!

Get comfortable with that lens, then look at either a 35 or a 28 (the 28 Summaron-M is really nice too).

• Like 5

10 hours ago, malligator said:

Edited to add:

You made a great choice.  You can get the 35 later to supplement your kit.  .  

Ray

Edited by RayD28
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Stick with the Summilux 50, and then if like Ray says, you can always get a 35, later. I prefer the way I can edit with a 50. Ralph Gibson shot Quadrants with a Dual Range Summicron because he wanted to move closer, then print 11x14 or 16x20 for an almost life-sized perspective.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After a month with the M-A I am absolutely smitten. It's better than I could have imagined. I'm about 7 rolls in, and, so far, and I think I'm doing pretty well. I've been using Fred Parker's Ultimate Exposure Computer site as a reference and thinking in EV (with Sunny 16 at 15 EV as a reference). My exposures have been close enough given film's latitude.

I'm also enjoying the 50 Lux. It occasionally feels too tight, but no more often than my Nikon 35/1.4 occasionally felt too wide. I need to work on hyperfocal shooting (as much as the 50 will let me), because I've missed some candid shots trying to get perfect focus with the RF. I'm finding that if I have both hands on my camera at my eye for more than a second or two people will react and spoil the moment. However, it's nowhere near as bad as it was with a DSLR and large prime.

I've still got some other things to work on. I'd like to get a color contrast filter (orange or yellow) and an ND filter so I can use 1.4 during the day. I also need to finalize my workflow. I can now process my own B&W (and will eventually be able to process C-41). I use a light board, iPhone, and the FilmLab app for contact sheets. I'm still trying to decide if I want to do high res scans or stay in the optical domain and learn to do prints in a rental darkroom.

I also need to learn to clean and maintain it without overdoing it and causing more damage than good. It gets rather dirty carrying it everywhere slung around my neck ready to shoot (no covers, cases, filters, or lens caps).

Finally...a side note...it's amazing how many comments I've had on my camera. It's very unusual to go a day or two without a compliment or genuine question.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2014 at 1:48 PM, Winedemonium said:

Here it is in the flesh. Sorry, poor light, and I auto-white balanced, so its a bit all over the show.

In case you are wondering if "black chrome" looks like the normal black Leica lenses, the finish of the Leica lenses is more pearlescent. The matt finish of the black M-A is more like the matt of primer paint, and in black, it looks super stealthy.

You can see here, the ISO dial doesn't look too shiny.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You can see the difference in finish between the body and lens in this one especially

How well calibrated is the 50mm APO on the M-A’s body?

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 10:22 PM, BjarniM said:

How well calibrated is the 50mm APO on M-A’s body?

Perfectly! All current lenses (from 2008ish) will be calibrated for sensors, which is a more accurate calibration than is needed for film. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Perfectly! All current lenses (from 2008ish) will be calibrated for sensors, which is a more accurate calibration than is needed for film. 

Hi,    yes agreed not an issue in film land.   Great combo.

Best

2 hours ago, yofred said:

Does anyone know where I can find replacement leatherette that's similar to the M-A's?

Hello, had you asked Leica for that ?

Depending on your Leica M, it would be possible, but you must choose between Black M-A style or Silver M-A style.

Have a look in this post ...

On 8/4/2020 at 3:09 PM, malligator said:

After a month with the M-A I am absolutely smitten. It's better than I could have imagined. I'm about 7 rolls in, and, so far, and I think I'm doing pretty well. I've been using Fred Parker's Ultimate Exposure Computer site as a reference and thinking in EV (with Sunny 16 at 15 EV as a reference). My exposures have been close enough given film's latitude.

I'm also enjoying the 50 Lux. It occasionally feels too tight, but no more often than my Nikon 35/1.4 occasionally felt too wide. I need to work on hyperfocal shooting (as much as the 50 will let me), because I've missed some candid shots trying to get perfect focus with the RF. I'm finding that if I have both hands on my camera at my eye for more than a second or two people will react and spoil the moment. However, it's nowhere near as bad as it was with a DSLR and large prime.

I've still got some other things to work on. I'd like to get a color contrast filter (orange or yellow) and an ND filter so I can use 1.4 during the day. I also need to finalize my workflow. I can now process my own B&W (and will eventually be able to process C-41). I use a light board, iPhone, and the FilmLab app for contact sheets. I'm still trying to decide if I want to do high res scans or stay in the optical domain and learn to do prints in a rental darkroom.

I also need to learn to clean and maintain it without overdoing it and causing more damage than good. It gets rather dirty carrying it everywhere slung around my neck ready to shoot (no covers, cases, filters, or lens caps).

Finally...a side note...it's amazing how many comments I've had on my camera. It's very unusual to go a day or two without a compliment or genuine question.

Glad you are enjoying. Having a 1.4 is very helpful with film and the 50 Lux is one of the best lenses ever made in my opinion. 

share some pictures!

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 10:53 AM, a.noctilux said:

Hello, had you asked Leica for that ?

I havent! I've never called them before but this seems like a good reason to. Leica NJ is the best if youre in the states right? 

I actually really love the leatherette on my black M-A. It seems to be the same as the monochrome leatherette -- extra matte and stealthy. 

Edited by yofred

• 2 months later...

After one month and five rolls of film I am very happy with my daily companion. Feels great, works perfect, what else do you need more?

Edited by benqui
  • Like 11

I also did it beginning of September. I don't really know exactly why I did it, since I already had an MP and an M3 that I booth purchased more than a decade ago. Wait, .... I did it because I wanted a black one :) Ouch 😇 

Most times, when I go out now, I grab one of the three cameras. I usually do not know what I will photograph. Often, I do not even take a picture. I was 100% shooting digital since summer 2014. Now film is back and so are these cameras in quest for serendipity.

Edited by Arrow
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, benqui said:

After one month and five rolls of film I am very happy with my daily companion. Feels great, works perfect, what else do you need more?

1 hour ago, Arrow said:

I also did it beginning of September. I don't really know exactly why I did it, since I already had an MP and an M3 that I booth purchased more than a decade ago. Wait, .... I did it because I wanted a black one :) Ouch 😇 

Benqui / Arrow, I did the same in August, bought a M-A, maybe to fight off the M10-R temptations!............Struggled a while with the choice between the M-P or the M-A, but settled on the M-A because I prefer black chrome to black paint and anyway if I want an exposure metered film M I always have my .58 M7 to grab, ( but not right now as it's at Wetzlar having a CLA ). I also have a MR meter that I like to use at times with the camera. Very happy with the choice of the M-A, it's a beautiful tool.

PS. Arrow, where did you get the leather "protectors" that you are using with  the PD Sling? Seems like a good idea.......

7 minutes ago, petermullett said:

Benqui / Arrow, I did the same in August, bought a M-A, maybe to fight off the M10-R temptations!............Struggled a while with the choice between the M-P or the M-A, but settled on the M-A because I prefer black chrome to black paint and anyway if I want an exposure metered film M I always have my .58 M7 to grab, ( but not right now as it's at Wetzlar having a CLA ). I also have a MR meter that I like to use at times with the camera. Very happy with the choice of the M-A, it's a beautiful tool.

PS. Arrow, where did you get the leather "protectors" that you are using with  the PD Sling? Seems like a good idea.......

I wish you a joyful time and lots of great pictures with your M-A!

The leather pieces, I simply took from an old strap, that I had at hand.