I love my M-A

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 5:32 PM, ianman said:

There is no problem!

Just a rumour of a possible minor change in the rangefinder mechanism. Don't worry about it.

Edit: It's amazing... one person posts about a possible small change, after a misunderstanding another person asks "what's the problem"... next thing is we'll see "The M-A is riddled with problems" 🙄

Hi everyone, as you know a new M-A has arrived a few days ago. Unfortunately I had to bring it back to the leica store due to some problems.
1 the pressureplate film scratches the negative.
2 the shutter curtain at rest did not return to the correct position.
I was really surprised by this fact. Leica has evidently reduced the quality control even on "niche" machines like our M-A.
An applause, however, to the leica store and to the Leica customer service that without delay has withdrawn me the M-A and will send me a new M-A from Germany in the coming days. Sorry for my bad english

• Like 1

Marco, sorry to hear that your new M-A has those flaws.

How the film scratches ?

Are you certain that it's the camera and not other processing job or elsewhere that scratches ?

I had a look at my M-A's film pressure plate...

Unlike the two MP that I had, the MA's film pressure is smooth and no multiple "holes" (like in MP) to retain dust bits.

Anyway, Leica is fairplay to replace your M-A with another one.

• Like 1

No , I have a lot of experience . I developed my rollers in the darkroom from me and tried various tank and spirals. The negatives made with the M4 and the same film developed together in a patterson  dual  film developing tank came out perfect and those of the M-A scratched. I tried many rollers of course. Then I sacrificed a roll and took it out of the camera without developing it and it was scratched. So something was wrong. Let's see with the substitute

Edited by MarcoIT

On 10/31/2019 at 7:52 PM, Matlock said:

Interesting. Yours is 5150071 with a date 2019/08/05 yet mine is 5150074 with a date of 2019/04/24.

I received my M-A as a replacement.  Date on the box 2019-11-01    5151193

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MarcoIT
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of the earliest M7s ie, my M7 viewfinder patch flares significantly, often making it harder to focus as a result.

I'm contemplating moving to an M-A. (I always use a handheld meter anyway!)

- Is the M-A's viewfinder "brighter" than other analogue M's? If i look through my M7 viewfinder, then lift my head to look directly at the scene, i can tell a clear difference in the scene's brightness (ie, the scene through M7 viewfinder is dimmer, almost slightly yellow). Is the M-A noticeably better in this regard?

- Can you get the M-A's viewfinder patch to flare, or not at all? I used to have an M240, and found the M240's viewfinder patch to be completely flare-free, much higher contrast compared to my M7, and simply much easier to focus. Is the M-A as good as the M240/M10 in this regard (or do the "electronic framelines" create a benefit to the contrast of the M240/M10's viewfinders that simply can't be replicated with the traditional mechanism of the M-A?)

Edited by Jon Warwick

Hello Jon,

Only you can "see the difference" to make your own decision.

Why not go to Leica dealer and have a look in MP or M-A viewfinder.

In my use, I had MP x0.85 after using for very long time M6, and at first I appreciated a lot the benefit in contrast in the MP's vf.

Over time, I don't "see" this any more.

M-A viewfinder is a bit "better" (quite a thin margin) than MP.

When compared to the digital Ms that I have, only M10 is "almost" as good as M-A's vf , maybe because the M-A's frame lines are complete or are always visible.

With M-A's vf, the flare patch ( very usable in 99% of time ) can occure in very strong back/side lighted but when shifting a bit the eye, there is no more flare.

In M10/M240 never experience any vf's flare, thanks to the LED lighted which in dim situation even adapts themselves not to be overbright.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

I have one of the earliest M7s ie, my M7 viewfinder patch flares significantly, often making it harder to focus as a result.

I'm contemplating moving to an M-A. (I always use a handheld meter anyway!)

- Is the M-A's viewfinder "brighter" than other analogue M's? If i look through my M7 viewfinder, then lift my head to look directly at the scene, i can tell a clear difference in the scene's brightness (ie, the scene through M7 viewfinder is dimmer, almost slightly yellow). Is the M-A noticeably better in this regard?

- Can you get the M-A's viewfinder patch to flare, or not at all? I used to have an M240, and found the M240's viewfinder patch to be completely flare-free, much higher contrast compared to my M7, and simply much easier to focus. Is the M-A as good as the M240/M10 in this regard (or do the "electronic framelines" create a benefit to the contrast of the M240/M10's viewfinders that simply can't be replicated with the traditional mechanism of the M-A?)

You can also have your M7 VF upgraded with the "flare fix" and even the new multicoated windows of the MP. After living with the flare of my M6 since 1985, I had it upgraded a couple years ago, and it was a great improvement.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomB_tx said:

You can also have your M7 VF upgraded with the "flare fix" and even the new multicoated windows of the MP. After living with the flare of my M6 since 1985, I had it upgraded a couple years ago, and it was a great improvement.

Thanks. A refurb by Leica with a new “MP” viewfinder might well be a good solution for me. Framelines also sticking, so needs a CLA anyhow!

a.noctulix’s comment on his MP “x0.85” also got me thinking ....my current M7 is a x0.72, BUT my most used focal lengths by far = 50mm and 75mm.

The reason for these focal lengths is because I mainly use the M7 for “Portraits”, given I like the subtle nuances of colour tonality of film (over digital) for that subject matter.

If I did (very rarely) go wider, the 35mm lens is the absolute limit for me for wide angle use. Never wider than that.

Given my clear use of only 50mm or 75mm lenses, do people think a x0.85 would be beneficial?

Is the whole image in the viewfinder “amplified” in size, including the rangefinder focus patch?

Does it make using 50-75mm lenses easier to focus, especially things like getting the eyeball spot-on-sharp for head and shoulders portraits?

Apart from clearly not being useful for wide angles, any downsides to the 0.85 over 0.72? (Eg, same brightness? Any distortion and/or less clarity due to the 0.85’s amplified view?)

many thanks for any help!

Edited by Jon Warwick

x0.85 magnification is great for 50mm and longer, but not really much better than x0.72.

I have two timings for that x0.85 vf.

- as happy user of M3 which we know this is the camera for 50mm and more, I wanted an modern M with the x0.85 vf > MP x0.85

- the x0.85 vf enlarge all we see in the vf including the red LED !

- when in use MP x0.85, my framing gain is better but focussing a lens like 1.4/75mm or 1.0/50mm is not better because of thin dof of those lenses

- so with M-A x0.72 vf and other digital M, I've tried the x1.25 magnifier but not really better results

- in my use, now, I don't own MP anymore, I don't use much my M6 Classic x0.85 ( vf flares a lot) and just use those film/digital M x0.68 to x0.73 vf without magnifier,

so the most simple way is the best way for me

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2019 at 4:20 AM, comte de Mazan said:

I think these 4 screws are only a decorative effect, since the case of the MA is actually that of the MP (see the location for batteries.)

Sorry to bump up this older post, but it was never resolved and I’m wondering if someone can confirm this.

The source of this “naked” Leica image seems to be here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotopiahk/ 7459440576 (remove the space)

Where it is labeled as a “naked MP” not an M-A, and if you look, it is black paint like an MP – not black chrome. Also, the Lens release button is an MP style rounded one, not the M-A style flat one.

So I think the image is of an MP. I’m not sure the assumption that M-As have this filled-in cutout and fake screws is correct.

Has anyone seen a naked M-A who can confirm? Someone who has swapped out the pleather by any chance?

Edited by mishi
Add in details

Happy M-A here,

some 35mm lenses to choose from,

old, older and newer from many brands

they are all lovely

• Like 5

11 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Happy M-A here,

I don't know whether it is an optical illusion but your lens release button looks different to the one on my M-A cameras. Mine both have a release button with a slot headed screw in the centre.

Edited by wattsy

Ian, in this black chrome M-A, the lens release button has no slotted screw and one piece button.

My silver chrome M-A has the center slotted screw in same place.

Seen that difference some time ago that those are made by different people (or team).

Some cosmetics differences in the Silver and Black.

The script engraving on top only on silver, nothing on top of the black, the serial number on the hot-shoe side.

Leatherette is "same grain" as Monochrom on the Black M-A.

Leatherette is "same grain" as other "color digital M" on the Silver M-A.

Some years ago, I saw that the "R" (rewind button) is "square" model on black M-A and "round" model on silver M-A.

Have a look here, some years ago...post #275

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/236926-i-love-my-m-a/?do=findComment&comment=2922020

Even in functionality, when new, one has a bit shorter, smoother release (which become smoother with use 😊 on the two).

Edited by a.noctilux