I love my M-A

2 hours ago, junix said:

I finally got my dream camera, a brand new Leica M-A paired with a Summilux 35mm..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

..and as I never shoot a meter-less camera in my life I also got a battery-less (because batteries are overrated) light meter from Sekonic:

I never enjoyed so much photography in my life! Can't wait for the first 2 rolls of film to be developed, I hope at least a few shots will be usable..

A big thnx to everyone in this thread! You all helped me decide taking this route..

Congratulations!  Beautiful camera.

• Like 1

My new M-A with a Harry Benz strap.  I attempted to buy this camera a few months ago, but a new black-paint MP became available and wasn’t able to resist that.  As much as I love the MP, though, I couldn’t stop thinking about the M-A.  The tide-like pull, you know?  So, I bought it.  It’s been an awful year, 2020, but at least I acquired two new Leica film cameras in one. year; that won’t happen again…ever.  

• Like 13

35 minutes ago, hydet said:

My new M-A with a Harry Benz strap.  I attempted to buy this camera a few months ago, but a new black-paint MP became available and wasn’t able to resist that.  As much as I love the MP, though, I couldn’t stop thinking about the M-A.  The tide-like pull, you know?  So, I bought it.  It’s been an awful year, 2020, but at least I acquired two new Leica film cameras in one. year; that won’t happen again…ever.  

Congratulations, I have a black chrome M-A as well and love it. I've been lusting after a black paint MP too, but already have a second body (a silver chrome M4). How many Leica bodies does one need? 😋

"

Congratulations, I have a black chrome M-A as well and love it. I've been lusting after a black paint MP too, but already have a second body (a silver chrome M4). How many Leica bodies does one need? 😋

Good question.  Here is small part of Bill Eggleston's collection.  Hard to say he was a "collector" not a photographer, but did he need over 300 film Leicas?  

Edited by hydet

31 minutes ago, hydet said:

"

Good question.  Here is small part of Bill Eggleston's collection.  Hard to say he was a "collector" not a photographer, but did he need over 300 film Leicas?  

😊 I've seen Eggleston's collection in a documentary about him.  Pretty impressive.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 8:35 AM, logan2z said:

😊 I've seen Eggleston's collection in a documentary about him.  Pretty impressive.  

On 11/22/2020 at 8:02 AM, hydet said:

"

Eggleston has that box of screw mount Leica’s as well as Canon 7 bodies and about 13 M’s. The rest of his cameras are Mamiya, Contax and Pentax. I went to visit him in Memphis in 2017, and his personal camera was the M4-P with a Canon dream lens .95 50. He used my M10, and 35 Summicron said it was the primary lens he used in 1973-78.

His monogrammed M-P was stolen in Paris and ended up in Tokyo, the trust had to buy it back.

• Like 2

Hi folks, I’m new to this forum, but decided to join because, well, I really really want an M-A. I’ve been getting into film photography for a while now though I shoot digital with the Fuji X-Pro3. Long story short, I’ve had a lot of issues with Fujifilm Canada’s repair service, to the point I’m sending the X-Pro3 in for service a second time in the same year I bought it, along with other lens issues I’ve experienced in the past two years. Thus, part of the appeal of going full film photography is I already know Sunny 16 and shoot it with digital (and my other film cameras), and just for once would not like to blame some electronic part for a reason why I have to send a camera/lens in for service. Thinking I’ll sell the Fuji equipment and buy myself my dream camera: The M-A. I don’t have a Leica Boutique near me (Vancouver, Canada) that has an M-A on display, so I figured I’d ask here: in all of your humble opinions, do I go silver, or black chrome? I primarily shoot street, which seems like black chrome would be the obvious choice, but silver chrome also has that classic nostalgic look that most of the greats used back in the day. Any thoughts/opinions here? I worry Black Chrome will look “boring” after a while haha.

I have a black chrome M-A so I have to vote BC!  I scratched my silver chrome itch with an M4 😋

I have had the M-A for four years and haven't bored of the camera's appearance one bit.  It's both stealthy and elegant at the same time. But with Leicas I don't think there is any wrong answer.  They look gorgeous no matter the finish.   

14 hours ago, 28framelines said:

Hi folks, I’m new to this forum, but decided to join because, well, I really really want an M-A. I’ve been getting into film photography for a while now though I shoot digital with the Fuji X-Pro3. Long story short, I’ve had a lot of issues with Fujifilm Canada’s repair service, to the point I’m sending the X-Pro3 in for service a second time in the same year I bought it, along with other lens issues I’ve experienced in the past two years. Thus, part of the appeal of going full film photography is I already know Sunny 16 and shoot it with digital (and my other film cameras), and just for once would not like to blame some electronic part for a reason why I have to send a camera/lens in for service. Thinking I’ll sell the Fuji equipment and buy myself my dream camera: The M-A. I don’t have a Leica Boutique near me (Vancouver, Canada) that has an M-A on display, so I figured I’d ask here: in all of your humble opinions, do I go silver, or black chrome? I primarily shoot street, which seems like black chrome would be the obvious choice, but silver chrome also has that classic nostalgic look that most of the greats used back in the day. Any thoughts/opinions here? I worry Black Chrome will look “boring” after a while haha.

I almost come from the same background, been shooting a black X-Pro 2 for a while (but without issues..) and an old Minolta film camera. Decided to step in to the Leica world with an analogue camera first and spent more money on 2 luxes. A digital Leica is now inevitable..

To answer your question, you can’t go wrong with both options, both are beautiful and I had a hard time deciding too.. I went with the Silver Chrome as most camera nowadays are black (and I already have a black X-Pro 2).

Imho the black chrome is not an obvious choice for street photography anymore, if you don’t shot from the hip.. everyone knows you have a camera in your hands and you’re trying to take a picture of/with them. With a silver chrome you look more retro/nostalgic/friendlier (if that makes any sense..) and I noticed people are less "afraid" or against you taking a picture.. sometimes even smile and ask about the camera. Then you can also start a conversation and even ask for some portrait shots.

The only problem with getting the Silver Chrome is that you will take more pictures of the camera than with the camera. 😀

• Like 4

All personal preference but when I had both I generally picked up the black one - I felt that whilst chrome looked nicer on the shelf, black is more discreet/understated when out and about. 

I sold the chrome. I still have the black. 

But, honestly, it doesn’t really matter. 

Edited by lb1800

I have a black M-A and I love its stealth but all my lenses are chrome go figure.

The difference in practical use definitely seems utterly miniscule, I could care less what colour the lens is. 

These are all beautiful objects and the M-A (Typ 127 whatever that means???) is absolutely right up there, a superb thing in and of itself. 

Edited by monther

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses! I don’t think I can respond to each one currently given I think I only get one message per day as a new user, but I appreciate the help! I think the more I think about it, the more I’m drawn to silver chrome. @junix I hear you when it comes to “friendlier” responses - it seems people actually get curious in a happier sense, oddly, watching friends use silver Leica cameras. It probably all comes out in the wash anyway (as others have stated). I guess in a month or two I’ll let y’all know which direction I went! Haha

actually, I’ll finish this message with another question: anyone know how often Leica produces the M-A? Like, after ordering the thing, how long did people wait to receive theirs?

23 minutes ago, 28framelines said:

Like, after ordering the thing, how long did people wait to receive theirs?

I bought mine from the Leica Store in San Francisco and they had one in stock, so no waiting.  That was four years ago.  I think my timing just happened to be right, they're sporadically produced in small batches so a wait is likely. 

Absolutely, it is a personal choice. But... the black chrome is due to be more proper if we consider that the street camera should be a bit discreet. Historically, the Leica had been famous for its obscure size and construction.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, odeon said:

Absolutely, it is a personal choice. But... the black chrome is due to be more proper if we consider that the street camera should be a bit discreet. Historically, the Leica had been famous for its obscure size and construction.

Dang that's sharp.

Also, I realized I can post more than 1 post a day! So, I have another M-A question. For Glasses-wearers, is it clearer to see the 28mm framelines than with other M cameras because its the most up-to-date, non-metered camera?