I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/8/2017 at 7:19 PM, A miller said:

Anyone's black paint M-A started to fade or rub off yet?  What's underneath??  Thank youz.

There is no Black paint M-A. There is silver chrome and black chrome. Both have brass underneath. Brassing takes much longer on chrome models. So no, no brassing yet.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:05 AM, a.noctilux said:

Concerning Leicameter,

I don't know if this Hammertone M-A with Leicameter was in this thread, so I repeat here this Special Edition for Leica Vienna :

M-A Leica Shop Vienna 25 Years

Photo : Leica Shop Vienna

I never knew about this. Wow

On 7/1/2020 at 8:28 PM, malligator said:

After years of wanting to switch to film and lusting after analog M's (especially the M-A) I finally own one. I just picked it up brand new from the Leica Store (build date 12/19). I've known from the beginning that I wanted silver chrome, but I kept trying to talk myself into the more modern black chrome. I'm glad I didn't, because pictures of the silver don't do it justice. It is absolutely gorgeous. Not that the black isn't stunning. The display model was black so I got to see both.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lens yet so I can't even use it. I'll post pics as soon as I do.

I also bought an M10 leather strap. I love how classy and minimalist it is.

I mated my M-A black chrome with a 'cron 50/2. Tiny but exquisite glass.

• 1 month later...

Hello dear all, 

may I ask for some food for thought, that could help, and that I might not see myself right now. 

I come from several M cameras, that I have tried out within 7 months,
started with the M6, which was my entry into the rangefinder world, then bought an additional M3 to try out the viewfinder, 
sold them both in order to combine them, because I loved the design of the M3 so much and wanted a meter back then.

Sold the glossy black MP, that made me drool over the camera all the time instead of taking pictures.. kidding, but you know what I mean...
I loved to use it, but it was very seducing and distracted me. And also the meter, which I learned during using, that I don't want it anymore. 

Having used it without meter and finding more and more joy in having a new, but still meterless camera, I am considering getting an M-A. 

Quick reload, all frame lines in the viewfinder and the old design. Actually it combines the best of all worlds, has a slightly more direct 
shutter button than the MP, if that is true in the first place, more complete frame lines and is brand new and the best built M camera ever.
That's what some people claim, when others say, "they don't build them like that anymore.." or: "it all stopped after the M4" 

Anyhow, since I use 35 and 50 right now and might get a 28 and 90 and some point (could live with 35 and 50 forever) I was thinking about a
M2 or M4 that have been serviced. The M4 should be the best, I think, cause it has the quick reload feature.

Aesthetically I like the old knob and rewind more, but it wouldn't be the crucial factor. 

Cash for a new MP hurts a bit, but I would spend it, if it  makes sense in my head. The advice I get are of course very opposed. 

Thank you all!

Edited by Leon Berg

10 minutes ago, Leon Berg said:

Hello dear all, 

Anyhow, since I use 35 and 50 right now and might get a 28 and 90 and some point (could live with 35 and 50 forever) I was thinking about a
M2 or M4 that have been serviced. The M4 should be the best, I think, cause it has the quick reload feature.

Aesthetically I like the old knob and rewind more, but it wouldn't be the crucial factor. 

Cash for a new MP hurts a bit, but I would spend it, if it  makes sense in my head. The advice I get are of course very opposed. 

Thank you all!

Personally I would go with the M-A and ignore the many scare stories about "modern Leica's". If you decide on a used model then I would recommend an M4-P. You will get many conflicting recommendations but, in the end, only you can decide.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Leon Berg said:

Hello dear all, 

may I ask for some food for thought, that could help, and that I might not see myself right now. 

I come from several M cameras, that I have tried out within 7 months,
started with the M6, which was my entry into the rangefinder world, then bought an additional M3 to try out the viewfinder, 
sold them both in order to combine them, because I loved the design of the M3 so much and wanted a meter back then.

Sold the glossy black MP, that made me drool over the camera all the time instead of taking pictures.. kidding, but you know what I mean...
I loved to use it, but it was very seducing and distracted me. And also the meter, which I learned during using, that I don't want it anymore. 

Having used it without meter and finding more and more joy in having a new, but still meterless camera, I am considering getting an M-A. 

Quick reload, all frame lines in the viewfinder and the old design. Actually it combines the best of all worlds, has a slightly more direct 
shutter button than the MP, if that is true in the first place, more complete frame lines and is brand new and the best built M camera ever.
That's what some people claim, when others say, "they don't build them like that anymore.." or: "it all stopped after the M4" 

Thank you all!

So you are trying to decide between M2, M4 and a new M-A. 

You need to establish your priorities. If you want new, and 28 framelines, M-A. Second hand with 28 framelines and faster rewind, with plastic film advance lever tip, M4-P. Second hand with no 28 framelines, M2.  

Personally, I think the M2/3 was the best made Leica M. I have M4 and it is not quite as nice as my M2, but still beautiful to use.  My MP is very close to the M2, but less solid and of-one-piece feeling. These are my subjective impressions, and may not resonate for you.

I would get an M2 and an M4-P to have a 28 on the M4-P, and a 35 on the M2, because I use both focal lengths and don’t like changing lenses in the field. However, I use a 0.58 MP for my 28 as my M4 doesn’t have 28 framelines (only M4-P does). 

On reflection, just get the M-A so you get all the framelines and a new Leica with a warranty. Everything else is (more of) a gamble due to being 35+ years old. 

Edited by Mute-on

vor 1 Minute schrieb Mute-on:

Indeed. If I had a black paint MP (mine is chrome) I would NEVER sell it.

I know it leaves a lot of room for speculation, and as life is emotional, I had my reasons. 
You wanna know them? I am not shy of sharing them, but it's not important right now. 

I didn't want it and I can explain why. Don't want to destroy the MP's esteem in front of you, though. 

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Mute-on:

Everything else is (more of) a gamble due to being 35+ years old. 

Good argument. 

M-A finish is too clean, can't hold  up to an old M4 or M2.  Looks like a digital camera (might change after use..)

Anyhow. M-A if it's no crap and it's worth the chash, that's all I care about. Is it good? Or just marketing? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leon Berg said:

I know it leaves a lot of room for speculation, and as life is emotional, I had my reasons. 
You wanna know them? I am not shy of sharing them, but it's not important right now. 

I didn't want it and I can explain why. Don't want to destroy the MP's esteem in front of you, though. 

Good argument. 

M-A finish is too clean, can't hold  up to an old M4 or M2.  Looks like a digital camera (might change after use..)

Anyhow. M-A if it's no crap and it's worth the chash, that's all I care about. Is it good? Or just marketing? 

Cameras, and their finishes (chrome, black paint, etc) are totally personal and subjective. If the BP MP didn’t work for you, and you sold it, that’s totally your prerogative.  I just REALLY like the black paint MP, and kick myself for not buying one years ago when I could.

Bottom line is if you want a new film Leica M with no meter, there is only one choice, the M-A. The good news is you can get silver or black, but that’s it. 

Go ahead and just buy the M-A.  You know you want to! Life is too short, as a friend of mine often says … 

• Thanks 1

With the perennial talk of what the next M camera will have, or not; tempers raised; insults thrown; and imaginations gone wild, I decided some time ago to repair the cameras I have until that’s no longer possible.

My M-A is having a short holiday at Wetzlar, before going back into action.  I suspect it will be my last M still running (which is rather why I bought it).  Will post a picture when its back.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IkarusJohn said:

Nothing went wrong with it, as such.  I’ve had it since early 2015. The film advance was a bit rough, and I took the opportunity for a colour change. Cheaper than buying a new camera.

Color change? You mean a new skin? What are we talking about?