i will be honest i have had quite a few leicas through my hands over the years, including the very disappointing M8 (but then again it could just have been me!). i got an M3 about two months ago and have not looked back since. fantastic camera, fantastic build and with a good lens, pretty much the best. you do have to adjust your technique somewhat to get the best out the equipment, but with a little patience and practice it does become the extension of the eye.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M3 is a wonderful camera. i prefer the ergonomics when compared the the MP, the uncluttered style and approach not only brings back the golden age of photography but with some practice can be an amazing photographic tool still useable today. how many digital camera's will still be useable in 50 yrs?

Residence - a set on Flickr

linked is a project shot using an M3 and 50mm Summilux ASPH. (mostly)

• Like 2

Sixstring I actually let my M6 go and kept the M3. Reason? Meter. I wasted more time with the silly red lights on the M6 meter than I did determaining the correct exposure in my head using the M3.

...with respect, this is yet another glorious non-sequitur. Nothing wrong with preferring the M3, but you could easily have removed the M6's battery, thus doing away with the silly red lights, non?

I'm in love as well. M3 and Summitar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

...with respect, this is yet another glorious non-sequitur. Nothing wrong with preferring the M3, but you could easily have removed the M6's battery, thus doing away with the silly red lights, non?

I received more money for the M6 than I could for my M3 DS. An easy decicion for me. non?

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought this and it is in beautiful shape - not a scratch or bright spot on it. But the slow shutter sticks a little. It still has the L seal on it so i'm trying to decide if I want to get it CLA'd or just put it on a shelf. :confused::confused:

• Like 3

Hello bw762,

Welcome to the forum.

One of the recurrent conundrums of this Forum appears again: Use? OR Leave on a shelf?

You see your M3, second version Dual Range Summicron & first version MR Meter were designed & built to work.

They are Samoyeds. Occasional couch potatos to be fondled & played w/ but primarily happiest & healthiest when working. If you excersise the camera, lens & meter in all aspects a # of times @ least once a month not only may your shutter speeds become more appropriate but everything will work better.

BTW: This is a photographic kit, exactly as you have it, which actually takes good pictures. But don't forget to excersise it for a while first.

If you need there are plenty of people on this Forum who would be glad to answer any questions you might have about using or collecting as well as a number who will most likely disagree with my contentions that you might not need a CLA & you might actually consider using such a nice kit.

If no such people appear & you would like I would be glad to be my own counter foil, although I have a feeling I won't have to. I don't actually have a horse in this race. I just like people to have a varied perspective.

Best Regards,

Michael

Who actually uses an M3 as his basic camera.

BTW: You should look @ the spiffy leather bellows inside your DR. Don't do anything to them though.

• Like 1

Hello Istvan,

Sorry for the confusion. I should have said: Second mechanical version. First version DR has the knurls on the peaks. Second version: Knurls in the dimples of the focussing ring like the lens in the foreground of your picture.

I don't know how many mechanical or optical versions total there have been of the DR. For example: The 35mm Summicron w/ goggles came in @ least two mechanical & possibly more than one optical versions.

Best Regards,

Michael

• 2 months later...

just arrived, after a refresh in Solms

• Like 3