I Love My M6!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love and hate my M6TTL. I love the feeling of a well made tool, the bright viewfinder, the almost silent click of the shutter and the sensuous joy of advancing the film. Ahh... film, that's where it all begins to unravel for me ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Of course, the irony is that this picture is taken with my R-D1 and 50cron.

• Like 3

Great, now I have an M6 thread to post pictures to, instead of sneaking them into the MP thread. :)

• Like 2

I all,

my M6 costom made summilux 1.4/50 lhsa

painting canvas by artist for my camera

au plaisir eric

Cool! Sexy M6 photos!

Here's mine (shot with my M8 and 75 'lux):

• Like 2

Well I have my TTL model which I purchased new, and still use it in all my travels!

• Like 1

I love my M6 (both), too...to me it is the perfect M body. I bought one of the first ones made when they first came out. I sold it and a later sibling in the 1990s. I've since replaced them both, one with a .85x M6. It took Leitz until the 1980s to bring us an M with 1970s features...but it was and remains the best user, in my opinion, and I've owned every M through the M6 (no TTL or M7) and still own/use an M3 and an M4.

The M5, M6TTL and M7 are better on their varying specs.

The M2/3/4 are, arguably, either better built, or built of better materials, or both.

But the M6 preserves the classic dimensions and adds a simple, sensitive meter.

I realize that typing all of this brands me either as a Luddite or a heretic, or both. So be it... ;)

Me too - they are such a pleasure to use.

The first one x0.72 has been with me for an amazingly long time.

I liked it so much I just added, about 2 years ago, a x0.85, rather than even consider the M8 or newer the M6TTL or M7 with the dials going the 'wrong' way.

BTW the x0.85 is noticeably quieter than the older x0.72 - did they improve over time ? or does the old one need a service ?

It's interesting the longevity of the bodies with their stable, mature technology :-)

My oldest lens is now a 35 summilux ASPH bought when first introduced, with the earlier ones sold on.

That aesthetically arranged pile of film was twice that size 6 weeks ago. I'm slowly getting through it, but my printing ( darkroom ) is mostly about 3 years behind schedule.

• Like 1

Donald,

That's a lovely pile of film and cameras.

What's with the Leica dot on the rear camera? It looks as though you might have painted it over and the paint is wearing off at the edges, revealing the red dot underneath.

It actually looks pretty cool as it is. :cool:

• Like 1

What's with the Leica dot on the rear camera? It looks as though you might have painted it over and the paint is wearing off at the edges, revealing the red dot underneath.

It actually looks pretty cool as it is. :cool:

Yep, Staedtler 'permanent' black marker.

It rubbed off the LEICA M6 white lettering more quickly - sweaty fingers.

• Like 1

Guest s.m.e.p.
Hi Stefan Wow thats a lot of film. Do you process it yourself.:)

TomR:D

Hello Tom,

I used slide films, so I didn´t develop them myself. But scanning is a lot of work, too! :cool:

BTW the x0.85 is noticeably quieter than the older x0.72 - did they improve over time ? or does the old one need a service ?

The old one needs servcing...

It's interesting the longevity of the bodies with their stable, mature technology :-).

Tell my .72x from the third production batch, which had its meter croak early this year. :(

I have two "classic" M6 bodies with 35mm Summicron V4, 50mm Summicron, and a

90mm Tele-elmaret lenses. While I read all the praises for the MP and the M7, I have

no reason to want to upgrade. Both cameras have operated flawlessly. Even though

I also have a digital (Nikon D2XS) with all the lenses, I still enjoy the Leica presence.

when I am out in the park or on the street, I appreciate the light unobtrusive Leica.

I develope my b&w film and either scan and print digitally or print with silver papers.

Paul

Hello Tom,

I used slide films, so I didn´t develop them myself. But scanning is a lot of work, too! :cool:

Hi Stefan Thought I could see slide film, I asked because guys I know who used to develop slide film complain they can no longer get chemicals ( or its very expensive) and not worth doing it at home.

Have you ever used Fuji Sensia and scanned it, I'm at a cross roads where the club I belong to are 98% digital and talk of dropping slide entries :mad: in club comps, crops up from time to time (like presently). I'd like to keep on slides but may have to scan them sooner or later:rolleyes: I have just had 3 rolls developed and scanned and the cost for mid level scanning makes me think I'd be better in the long term buying a scanner:D But which.? I hear Sensia is not easily scanned on a lot of scanners that are in my budget.

TomR

Guest s.m.e.p.
Hi Stefan Thought I could see slide film, I asked because guys I know who used to develop slide film complain they can no longer get chemicals ( or its very expensive) and not worth doing it at home.

Have you ever used Fuji Sensia and scanned it, I'm at a cross roads where the club I belong to are 98% digital and talk of dropping slide entries :mad: in club comps, crops up from time to time (like presently). I'd like to keep on slides but may have to scan them sooner or later:rolleyes: I have just had 3 rolls developed and scanned and the cost for mid level scanning makes me think I'd be better in the long term buying a scanner:D But which.? I hear Sensia is not easily scanned on a lot of scanners that are in my budget.

TomR

Thomas,

I used Fuji Sensia 100 in the 90´s but didnt´t like it, the skin tones are ugly.

Try to get Kodak Presschrome 100 (cheap and good to scan) or the Kodak E100 GX for outdoor shoots.

Best slidefilm with iso 400 is Fuji Provia 400X.

I would recommend a Nikon Coolscan V or 5000 for high quality 24x36 scans.

Stefan

Thomas,

I used Fuji Sensia 100 in the 90´s but didnt´t like it, the skin tones are ugly.

Try to get Kodak Presschrome 100 (cheap and good to scan) or the Kodak E100 GX for outdoor shoots.

Best slidefilm with iso 400 is Fuji Provia 400X.

I would recommend a Nikon Coolscan V or 5000 for high quality 24x36 scans.

Stefan

Have you ever used Fuji Sensia and scanned it, :eek:

Hi Stefan Did I type that (Sensia):eek: I must have had a mental slip !!! For almost as long as I have been shooting slides I have used Fuji VELVIA 100 now DL. Yes have tried Provia 400X got some in the fridge,but again not scanned any myself.

Anyway thanks for your reply re scanners, I'll take a look at them if I finally decide to keep to slide and not go M8.

TomR:D