the M-A also feels a very modern camera.

It looks like an M3. Which gives you an idea how it must have wow'ed 'em back when that was introduced. But I'd fault no one for buying one new, especially in a group that seems to moved back and forth among Summiluxes like they were party favors.

s-a

Ahh, looking forward to this thread, as I'd really like to get an M-A someday.

Wattsy - you say it is more like a variation of the MP to you - I'd love to hear more about this, their similarities/differences?

Very good and flattering portrait of your loved one! With what camera/lens did you make it?

you say it is more like a variation of the MP to you - I'd love to hear more about this, their similarities/differences?

It feels very much like (and uses the same frame line masks) as the meterless MP Classic that I owned a few years ago (one of the very few Leica products that I regret selling). I'd be surprised if there are any internal differences between the MP and M-A beyond the absence of the metering circuitry and the slightly different VF. The latter obviously lacks metering LEDs and features complete 28mm and 35mm framelines (and has less prominent 75 and 135 framelines) plus doesn't have the silver strip on the front VF window. This last point is purely aesthetic (and firmly in fondler territory:D) but I do like the appearance of the M body without the silver strip. Another (again aesthetic) change is that the film speed reminder on the M-A is rather more elegant and feels better made than the plasticky film speed selector that features on the back of the MP. A further nice retro touch found on the M-A are the little screwheads that go through the front of the leatherette covering.

The two most functional differences are the cleaner frame line view and what feels to be a shorter travelling, slightly more sensitive, shutter release. The rest is just fluff, albeit nice fluff that the gearhead inside us might appreciate (let's face it, we are all gearheads to some extent or another or we wouldn't frequent a camera forum:D).

Very good and flattering portrait of your loved one! With what camera/lens did you make it?

Thanks. I used a Nikon DSLR:eek:

and 50/F1.2 AIS lens. Edited by wattsy

Good to see Leica can still produce a very, very nice film M. Tempted to chop my MP in for one? Not really. That would be two very expensive LR44's if I did.

I would like to know how long you spent relaxing in front of the TV taking imaginary pictures around the room just to hear the shutter fire? Well don't we all do that with a new camera!?

It's very nice, I look forward to some pictures.

Steve

...the film speed reminder on the M-A is rather more elegant and feels better made than the plasticky film speed selector that features on the back of the MP.

I believe the MP's plasticky film speed selector is what it is because it contains a variable resistor to set the film speed. The setting is communicated to the camera via the gold contacts on the loading door and the camera body. (But you're right, it could be more elegant.)

That said the speed reminder on the M-A is very pretty; much nicer than the one on my M3. It's a lovely camera, and the chrome doesn't look too specular. Lucky guy.

s-a

I believe the MP's plasticky film speed selector is what it is because it contains a variable resistor to set the film speed. The setting is communicated to the camera via the gold contacts on the loading door and the camera body. (But you're right, it could be more elegant.)

That said the speed reminder on the M-A is very pretty; much nicer than the one on my M3. It's a lovely camera, and the chrome doesn't look too specular. Lucky guy.

s-a

The mp film selector is made of metal, only the outer ring is made of plastic.

The mp film selector is made of metal, only the outer ring is made of plastic.

The inner selector circle is plastic too (I think). In any case, it's not the plastic per se that has always bothered me about this dial, it's the quality of the plastic and the tin like quality of the metal part. It doesn't match the quality of the rest of the camera and is IMO inferior than the previous version used on the M6 (and the first run of MP bodies until Leica presumably ran out). It's not a big deal and it didn't stop me from buying an MP.

The inner selector circle is plastic too (I think). In any case, it's not the plastic per se that has always bothered me about this dial, it's the quality of the plastic and the tin like quality of the metal part. It doesn't match the quality of the rest of the camera and is IMO inferior than the previous version used on the M6 (and the first run of MP bodies until Leica presumably ran out). It's not a big deal and it didn't stop me from buying an MP.

The inner selector is in metal. (but it seems in plastic…)