Pre loved

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, AndrewPiper said:

Hi guys.. first time here..what a great forum!

Ive read extensively about a fixed 35mm lens for a potentially incoming M11 and my question is this..  Is a pre loved lens a good idea from peoples experience here please? Im swimming in the pre loved pond for both camera and lens. Places to look for used lenses also would be appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards from New Zealand.

Basically there are many great used 35mm lenses (I don't much care for 'pre-loved' as a descriptor I'm afraid) available. But you really need to decide things like budget, what sort of usage it will see (low light, landscape, whatever) and whether you want to have a technically 'superior' lens (aspheric elements) or one which produces a more 'traditional' look (spherical elements). If you can narrow down the attributes (fast or slow, older or newer, etc.) then you can start looking around. In essence Leica dealers who have been around for a long time and who get good critique on forums like this will usually provide thoroughly checked and well described lenses but because they are more trusted and will offer warranties, they will tend to be more expensive. Elsewhere bargains can be found but there are also many pitfalls for the unwary. If you are inexperienced in Leica lenses then I'd suggesting looking at the stock from reputable dealers and accepting that you will get a good lens but at a higher price that you might otherwise.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AndrewPiper said:

Hi guys.. first time here..what a great forum!

Ive read extensively about a fixed 35mm lens for a potentially incoming M11 and my question is this..  Is a pre loved lens a good idea from peoples experience here please? Im swimming in the pre loved pond for both camera and lens. Places to look for used lenses also would be appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards from New Zealand.

I bought a 50/1.4 summilux asph from someone with a good reputation on Fred Miranda, and the lens was perfect. I've bought and sold there many times over the years and think it's a great place for that activity. Usually if you ask the seller whether the lens has any dust, oil, fungus, scratches, they're pretty good about truthfully disclosing the condition. And often it's nothing that a good CLA can't fix up. There are a few reputable people who do that service, the one I've spoken to frequently is wye7@yahoo.com (his name is Ye).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, AndrewPiper said:

... what a great forum ...

... Really.. are we that clever with replies here. If you dont have anything positive to say why contribute at all.

Ha-ha, wheels came of the rails PDQ.

Also, my Leica M lenses were purchased second hand.

Edited by Danner

My first Leica camera and lens were bought new in 1969. Since then almost all of my lenses and bodies have been bought used, and like others mentioned, there are things to check to ensure you are getting what you expect and pay for. Last year was the first time since 1969 that I've bought a lens for my Leica gear new, and it wasn't manufactured by Leica! Patience is a virtue in the second-hand market, and it is often rewarded. Unless you're a collector instead of a user, minor imperfections often are irrelevant, but can drastically affect the price. Fashionistas pay up, the rest of us benefit from their mistakes. Besides dealers, I've had phenomenal luck with Ebay and purchased all over the world. The key is to ask good questions of sellers and don't be afraid to walk away. Good luck in your endeavors.

• Like 2

(Manual) Lenses are different to electronics (like camera bodies). They have a much longer life cycle and if you are looking for particular characteristics, this often means to select a lense that is already out of production for some time. As long, as they were handled with caution, there is not much, wich can go wrong in the "pre owned" market. Most of my used lenses I bought via eBay. If you are not a collector, you can live with offers, where some accessories or the original box is missing and in that case, you can save a lot of money. If you ask some questions to the seller, you get a better feeling about the offer. Until now, I was lucky...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I always buy used lenses. Apart from very recent releases, I’ve found that most have reached their maximum depreciation point already so you can try and if you are not pleased, sell on and recoup. I’ve done this with many lenses over the last couple of years, it’s helped me experience them first hand and make my own mind up on whether I want to keep them in my kit.