I love my M-A

6 hours ago, coz said:

Hi,  I just ordered a Black M-A through the Leica USA website direct. I think Leica Miami has a silver one as mentioned. 

I'm really excited. I had an MP years ago and want to get back into film.

Best 

Coz,  which website did you order from? I have checked the Leica USA website for a black M-A and they have been out of stock for some time now. 

2 hours ago, Landiah said:

Coz,  which website did you order from? I have checked the Leica USA website for a black M-A and they have been out of stock for some time now. 

Hi,   the online store on the main Leica US site. I had checked and saw no stock but randomly went back this week and they had it.  I just went back and it seems out of stock again.  I hope it's not a returned unit!   Best 

• Thanks 1

Incoming...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

My new M-A. This will be my main film camera this year...

First impressions: it is an M-film camera, so there is not very much to say. Coming from the M7 it feels oddly different yet the same. The camera feels tighter and the winder is more positive (it is nearly 18 years younger...). The shutter is slightly louder, with a faint sound of gears after closeing at slow speeds. I really like the unobstructed 28mm and 35mm frame lines, and the cleaner 50mm view. The smaller speed dial is still easy to adjust with the eye to the camera, and I prefer the hard stop at 1/1000. I miss the on/off switch, which would be helpful as a shutter lock.

My biggest issue with the camera is that it looks and feels too pristine.I usually carry the camera lens-down to avoid curtain burn or rain, and the silver ISO dial is conspicuously shiny. But now the camera is decked out with a large piece of gaffer tape on the back and fitted with a crude grip it feels a bit less like jewellery and a bit more like a photographic tool.

Still not completely confident running around in daylight without a meter, but for nighttime street photography that has never been a problem - and I am far happier using a camera like this in rain than an unsealed camera with electronics.

Edited by Mark II
  • Like 15

17 hours ago, Mark II said:

My new M-A. This will be my main film camera this year...

First impressions: it is an M-film camera, so there is not very much to say. Coming from the M7 it feels oddly different yet the same. The camera feels tighter and the winder is more positive (it is nearly 18 years younger...). The shutter is slightly louder, with a faint sound of gears after closeing at slow speeds. I really like the unobstructed 28mm and 35mm frame lines, and the cleaner 50mm view. The smaller speed dial is still easy to adjust with the eye to the camera, and I prefer the hard stop at 1/1000. I miss the on/off switch, which would be helpful as a shutter lock.

My biggest issue with the camera is that it looks and feels too pristine.I usually carry the camera lens-down to avoid curtain burn or rain, and the silver ISO dial is conspicuously shiny. But now the camera is decked out with a large piece of gaffer tape on the back and fitted with a crude grip it feels a bit less like jewellery and a bit more like a photographic tool.

Still not completely confident running around in daylight without a meter, but for nighttime street photography that has never been a problem - and I am far happier using a camera like this in rain than an unsealed camera with electronics.

Hello Mark,

Nice photo & nice camera/lens.

If you are a little unsure about using a meterless camera without a meter: Did you ever consider getting a separate hand held or slip on meter?

Using a camera without a meter is do-able. But, sometimes: Using a camera without using a light meter is not much different than using a shutter speed dial with the shutter speeds not marked on it.

Yes, you can compute a light meter reading as well as a shutter speed setting: But why would you want to have to figure out what the shutter speed is by counting the "clicks"? And why would you want to spend time figuring exposures? And either missing or compromising a picture? When you could simply look & see what the shutter speed wheel indicates or look at what the slip on or hand held meter says.

And, of course, when you don't need to or don't want to use either 1: You wouldn't have to depend on any of them.

By the way: Some people prefer a meterless camera NOT because they DON'T want a meter. But rather, they DON't want the potential troubles associated with metering technology INSIDE their cameras.

With a separate meter, slip on or hand held, if the meter goes, or has a problem: This has nothing to do with the meterless camera.

Best Regards,

Michael

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Using a camera without a meter is do-able. But, sometimes: Using a camera without using a light meter is not much different than using a shutter speed dial with the shutter speeds not marked on it.

Hi Michael,

Sorry - meant a camera with a built-in meter.

I usually use a Sekonic L308X, although when I bought the M-A I also added a Voigtlander hot-shoe gadget to try as an alternative. I also use non-Leica cameras without built-in meters, but up to now only for photography that is slower.

The Sekonic is an excellent meter, but with one frustrating "feature": you need to press and hold the power button for a second to turn in on before you can take a reading. It would be hugely improved if just pressing the button to take a reading would also wake it up - the Voigtlander gets this right. But when shooting on the street (even with the M7) I do not meter every shot, but periodically take a couple of readings to get an absolute calibration of light level, then adjust exposure by eye.

FWIW, the most "transparent" camera that I use is my Olympus digital. The metering is easily good enough that you can just set it to auto and the raw files will have the data to pull out in post processing, no matter how bizarre the lighting. Use a manual focus lens with zone focusing and it is so much quicker and easier to shoot with than a Leica that it is unreal.

But working around the limitations of the tool is, I think, a part of photography. How the photographer chooses to embrace or challenge those limitations can be an important aspect of how a distinctive style is developed. That is why I went with an M-A rather than something more automated, as well hoping for a camera that will have fewer maintenance/repair issues in the near future.

• Like 2

I have the Voigtlander meter and use it for my M3.  My workflow is to set a shutter speed that is about right for the film speed and lighting conditions and then use the meter to fine tune the aperture setting.  The Voigtlander is excellent but has the following drawbacks: It is too easy to accidentally dislodge the meter when getting the camera out of the camera bag, and the film speed setting is quite easy to accidentally change.

I am thinking of going back to a hand held meter in the pocket, to try and ween myself off wanting to meter every single shot, and hopefully get better at estimating the light without a meter. Based on my research I think I want to try a Gossen sixtomat.  It is small and light, and is always on.  Just press the meter button and it responds instantly.  Having to separately power up the meter would be a deal breaker for me.  I also thought about the Sekonic 398 (classic style that does not need batteries) but was put off by watching youtube reviews, it seems that the meter needle is slow to respond and it is a much slower process because you then need to turn the adjustment ring to match the needle etc.

• Like 1

I enjoy my 398.  It’s big advantage is, using the dome, I get an incident reading rather than lots of minor and frankly irrelevant fluctuations from a reflective meter.  I have been using sunny 16 (actually, rather badly) and the results have been okay.  I am only shooting black and white with film.

I think, as a matter of practice, incident reading is the way to go ...

• Like 4

I've been using the Gossen digisix 2 and really like it. Very small always on and works well. I tried the sekonic 398 before but  this one is definitely better in a low light and you don't have to use the filter in bright conditions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Still loving my M-A years on now, and after trying a different digital camera system I quickly decided it wasn't for me and came back to the M10 platform, this time with a P to join my M-A. 

• Like 8

When my first M-A was new, late 2014, I used it more than now,

but when scanning some pics made from M-A, I'm happy to use it more, by then

those are merits of new film M, I think

one of first frames ( I have time to "scan" with M246 ! ) using M-A and Summicron 35 "I"

The one at left if I memorize well ...

don't remember if I used the black VCMeter II or not (maybe not for color negatives 200 ISO )

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

After years of wanting to switch to film and lusting after analog M's (especially the M-A) I finally own one. I just picked it up brand new from the Leica Store (build date 12/19). I've known from the beginning that I wanted silver chrome, but I kept trying to talk myself into the more modern black chrome. I'm glad I didn't, because pictures of the silver don't do it justice. It is absolutely gorgeous. Not that the black isn't stunning. The display model was black so I got to see both.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lens yet so I can't even use it. I'll post pics as soon as I do.

I also bought an M10 leather strap. I love how classy and minimalist it is.

Edited by malligator
Spelling
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, malligator said:

After years of wanting to switch to film and lusting after analog M's (especially the M-A) I finally own one. I just picked it up brand new from the Leica Store (build date 12/19). I've known from the beginning that I wanted silver chrome, but I kept trying to talk myself into the more modern black chrome. I'm glad I didn't, because pictures of the silver don't do it justice. It is absolutely gorgeous. Not that the black isn't stunning. The display model was black so I got to see both.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lens yet so I can't even use it. I'll post pics as soon as I do.

I also bought an M10 leather strap. I love how classy and minimalist it is.

Congratulations, the M-A is a fantastic camera, I'm sure you're going to love it. I have the black chrome model but the silver looks great as well. 

Which lens(es) are you going to get for it?

10 hours ago, logan2z said:

Congratulations, the M-A is a fantastic camera, I'm sure you're going to love it. I have the black chrome model but the silver looks great as well. 

Which lens(es) are you going to get for it?

I'm leaning toward a 35 'cron. I'd like a Summilux, but I feel that making the camera as small and light as possible to encourage me to carry it around more will be a huge benefit. I always wanted to take my Nikon DSLR with me when I went out, but I very rarely did.

Regardless, my first lens will be a 35 or 50 of some sort. I've been walking around looking through both frame lines to see which one feels more natural. I like that the 35 takes up a good portion of the VF, but still has some room around it. I like that the 50 is very easy to see through the VF even while wearing glasses.

5 hours ago, malligator said:

I'm leaning toward a 35 'cron. I'd like a Summilux, but I feel that making the camera as small and light as possible to encourage me to carry it around more will be a huge benefit. I always wanted to take my Nikon DSLR with me when I went out, but I very rarely did.

Regardless, my first lens will be a 35 or 50 of some sort. I've been walking around looking through both frame lines to see which one feels more natural. I like that the 35 takes up a good portion of the VF, but still has some room around it. I like that the 50 is very easy to see through the VF even while wearing glasses.

Both!  It's a great combination, or a 28-50?

I picked up a 35 Summilux-M pre-ASPH for a very reasonable sum.  It flares (so you need to be careful), but it has great character.  A really nice one lens set with the M-A ...

PS - if you look at Arnaud's black chrome M-A above, that's a 35 Summilux pre-ASPH ...

Edited by IkarusJohn